View Full Version : 15" MBP battery not charging

Spooof
01-12-2009, 05:01 PM
I encountered a strange undocumented feature with the latest 15" MBP. On Saturday I ran it on the battery for an extended period of time; drawing the battery down to 40%. When I got home I plugged it in and continued working on it. On Sunday I noticed that the Battery was not and had not charged over night. I tried rebooting (cold), unplug/replug, turning it off, etc. Nothing could get this thing to charge. Finally I removed the battery and that seemed to kick start the recharge.

Being only a couple weeks old I was wondering if this was a bug in 10.5.6 (or what ever the latest version is). I did see posts about a change in the options available in the latest version. Has anyone else with the new unibody MBP experienced this issue?

doogald
01-12-2009, 06:00 PM
I encountered a strange undocumented feature with the latest 15" MBP. On Saturday I ran it on the battery for an extended period of time; drawing the battery down to 40%. When I got home I plugged it in and continued working on it. On Sunday I noticed that the Battery was not and had not charged over night. I tried rebooting (cold), unplug/replug, turning it off, etc. Nothing could get this thing to charge. Finally I removed the battery and that seemed to kick start the recharge.

Being only a couple weeks old I was wondering if this was a bug in 10.5.6 (or what ever the latest version is). I did see posts about a change in the options available in the latest version. Has anyone else with the new unibody MBP experienced this issue?

I heard Dave Hamilton mention this very problem in the podcast MacGeek Gab last week (episode 185) - though I think that he has the older 15", not the unibody. As for this being a 10.5.6 issue or a firmware issue, who knows? I will say that I recently had an issue on my 13.3" MB where the system miscalculated the amount of power left and just lost power - twice - and I have not had the issue since I did something that I read somewhere would fix it (i.e., shut down, remove power and the battery, press and hold the power for five seconds, reconnect everything and start up.) I also did a PRAM zap (i.e., start up holding Cmd-Option-P-R until it beeps and restarts three times.) Anyway, the battery time left seems to be working right now.

Spooof
01-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Yes I have ready about the older models having the same issues. If I had more time I would test it and investigate it more online. For now it is working so I will assume that it was a freak thing.

doogald
01-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Not a good omen for people buying the new 17", I guess . . .

Spooof
01-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Update... I have drained the battery a few times and when I plugged it back in it started charging right away. Looks like this was some weird one off incident.