View Full Version : Old PPC user, new SP user.

brianchris
01-11-2009, 04:51 PM
I've been a user of Pocket PC's since they were launched, so I'm very familiar with windows Mobile in general. I've just switched to a Windows Mobile Standard (smartphone) device, and am starting to learn about it. Here's one of my first questions:

I have the AT&T Q Global, and I was hoping to use the qwerty keyboard as shortcuts to launch applications and/or files. Is this feature naitive to the Windows Mobile Standard OS? if not, are there any 3rd party applications that would provide this functionality? Thanks!

reed_r
01-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Some of the phone manufacturers include a utility app to do this. I don’t have a Q handy, but my BlackJack II (for instance) has a utility app in the Settings menu called FN Key Settings to do this. To the best of my knowledge there is a not a universal (platform) utility that does it. Some devices have keyboards, some don’t so it varies depending on whether the OEM included one to work with their keyboard implementation. Many are using dedicated keys for common apps like camera, mail, etc. There are some 3<SUP>rd</SUP> party utilities that may be useful…Orchid Shortcut, etc.
<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p
What specific task do you want to simplify? There may be some other options…
<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p
-Reed<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

brianchris
01-12-2009, 06:16 PM
I've discovered that, naitvely to Windows Mobile Standard, I can open applications using the 0-9 keys of the Q, and that's great. I'd like that ability to be expanded on in two ways:

1) I'd like to be able to open apps using my whole qwert keybord, and not be limited to the 0-9 keys, and
2) I'd like to open specific files using those keys, because, as we all know, open a file opens the associated application. Just for example, I'd like my "M" key to open a specific Word file (not just Word itself).

I realize one or both of these might not be possible, even with third party launchers, but I just thought I'd ask those more experienced than I. Thanks!

Rocco Augusto
01-13-2009, 05:58 PM
I've been looking into this for a day or so but so far I have been unable to find anything that fits what you want to do. However I will continue to keep looking into it, maybe there is a registry edit or something of that nature that will allow you to do what you want. :)

robshobs
01-15-2009, 01:14 AM
I have a Motorola Q from AT&T. When navigating the Start menu, any appplication can be added by clicking the MENU button then ADD SPEED DIAL. You then select a number from 2 to 99. This doesn't use the whole keyboard but it does let you assign 97 items.

To open a Word document, first create a shortcut and place it somewhere in your Start menu. Then add it using the steps above.

Rob