View Full Version : Time To Run Screaming From Carbonite: They Won't Back Up Your Videos

Jason Dunn
01-02-2009, 02:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.kirkmahoney.com/blog/2009/01/have-video-files-do-not-buy-carbonite/' target='_blank'>http://www.kirkmahoney.com/blog/200...-buy-carbonite/</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>"When I started my Carbonite subscription nearly two years ago, at least one FAQ on Carbonite's website said that free-trial users would not get automatic back-ups of video files but that paid subscribers would get automatic back-ups of video files. This wording persisted all the way through my extending my Carbonite subscription on December 28, 2008, for another two years beyond the end of the expiring subscription. After I paid Carbonite another $89.95 for the subscription renewal, I discovered to my shock that MANY of my hundreds of video files had NOT been backed up, including video files dating back to 1999!"</em></p><p>I <a href="http://www.digitalhomethoughts.com/news/show/90232/goodbye-carbonite-hello-mozy.html" target="_blank">wrote an article back in August 2008</a> where I talked about why I switched from <a href="http://www.carbonite.com" target="_blank">Carbonite</a> to <a href="http://www.mozy.com/?ref=3f9a896b&amp;kbid=30184&amp;m=4&amp;i=75" target="_blank">Mozy</a> [Affiliate] for online backup purposes. My main reason for leaving Carbonite was that their service would not back up my EXE files and ISO files. <a href="http://www.digitalhomethoughts.com/news/show/90232/goodbye-carbonite-hello-mozy.html" target="_blank">Read my article</a> for more details. What shocked me today was reading <a href="http://www.kirkmahoney.com/blog/2009/01/have-video-files-do-not-buy-carbonite/" target="_blank">the blog post</a> I quoted above where Kirk Mahoney confirms that Carbonite will not back up <em>any </em>video files unless, I think, those video files are in a folder with nothing else and you tell Carbonite to back up my folder. My read on this is that if you have video files mixed in with your photos - which most people would do, vacation photos and videos - Carbonite will back up the photos but ignore the videos.</p><p>This is, in a word, appalling. It was bad enough that Carbonite didn't consider my EXE files worthy of backing up, but for them to treat user video the same way is completely ridiculous. Most people will have more photos than video, but with HD video cameras getting less and less expensive, we're going to see a boom in HD content creation. If Carbonite doesn't want to back up video files, that's fine - but I'll be slowly moving every friend and relative off Carbonite and onto Mozy as the subscription expires. I've kept everyone on Carbonite because it has a more user-friendly software user interface, but I'm sure that they all care more about having all their files backed up than they do about having easy to use software - once I configure the backups for them, it's not like they have to do anything.</p><p>Carbonite as a company should be ashamed of themselves for not treating all user data, videos included, as being equally important.</p>

alanjrobertson
01-02-2009, 03:30 PM
I got a bit of a fright with the headline there, Jason, until I read the detail - I thought Carbonite had stopped video backup capability altogether! I'd already noticed that video files on my machine didn't have green backup dots so I've always selected any separately that I want backed up. Given all the BBC iPlayer programmes I've got on my machine (which there is no point backing up as they are only valid for playback for 30 days after download or 7 days after starting playback) I'm actually quite happy they aren't automatically backed up, but I agree they should make this a bit more obvious to customers.

EscapePod
01-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Any chance that videos absolutely needing backing up could be copied with a different extension, example - .txt or .doc ? I realize that requires some manual intervention, but would make use of your subscription.

BTW -- thanks for the alert on Carbonite.

Jason Dunn
01-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Any chance that videos absolutely needing backing up could be copied with a different extension, example - .txt or .doc?

You could probably ZIP the file and that would get it backed up - but then you'd have to un-ZIP it to view it...kind of a pain. :mad:

Jason Dunn
01-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Sorry for the fright, but I suspect that the vast majority of users who are using Carbonite aren't sophisticated enough to go in and manually tag their videos individually for backup - nor would I expect them to have to, so I'm willing to bet that for most people, Carbonite really isn't backing up their video files.

Given all the BBC iPlayer programmes I've got on my machine (which there is no point backing up as they are only valid for playback for 30 days after download or 7 days after starting playback) I'm actually quite happy they aren't automatically backed up, but I agree they should make this a bit more obvious to customers.

But I doubt your BBC videos are stored in your Pictures of Videos folder are they? It would make sense to keep video content that it's actually yours in a different folder, one that isn't tagged for backup. I certainly don't think that Carbonite should backup EVERY video file on the hard drive - but if a user tags a folder for backup, or the default Pictures folder is automatically tagged for backup, it should back up EVERY file in that folder. To do anything less is to lie about the functionality of their service.

Bob Anderson
01-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Interesting ... and with the push to do more with the "cloud" I'm finding these, seemingly little, exclusions becoming more and more of a reason not to believe in the cloud.

I hope someone from Carbonite is reading this - and can answer the simple question, "Why?"

Why exclude certain file types? Why allow videos to be backed up but only if manually flagged?

If I point my backup software to a folder and say, "do it", I expect everything in that folder is going to be backed up - not a hodge-podge of filetypes that only the service provider agrees to for some reason not clearly understood by users.

alanjrobertson
01-03-2009, 12:09 AM
But I doubt your BBC videos are stored in your Pictures of Videos folder are they? It would make sense to keep video content that it's actually yours in a different folder, one that isn't tagged for backup. By default the BBC program installs them in an iPlayer subfolder within the Videos foler. I'm happy enough with this normally as I like keeping all my user data in the one place.

In my case I've hardly any videos I've generated myself (most of my compact cameras had rubbish video modes and my Nikon D40x doesn't do video) but I definitely agree they should have made this much clearer to users. I echo Bob's comment re. getting someone from Carbonite to come on here and comment - would it be worth asking them, Jason?

Cheers

Alan :)

icatar
01-03-2009, 04:01 AM
Carbonite will backup videos, but you do have to specify it on a folder by folder basis. All you need to do is right click the folder, pick Carbonite, Backup Videos in this folder then you are done. Just be aware though that this setting does not apply to sub folders, so you will need to enable this for every folder that has videos. If you keep all your videos in one folder, then this step is trivial. But if you keep them organized in some manner, it will require an extra step.

The nice part is that the icon on the folder will give you a hint as to what is being backed up in the folder. A solid green dot means everything is being backed up. If I see a half green/half white dot, I know that I have not enabled that folder for video backup.

Rob Alexander
01-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Carbonite is going to be one of those companies that we'll look back on as an unsuccessful pioneer of a successful industry. I really don't know why they don't understand that the service they're offering is for the user to know that their important files are backed up automatically. The need is really that simple, but they miss the whole point with all of these absurd exclusions. Sure my files are all backed up... well, except for any .exe files (._xe files too BTW), several types of files that exist in the install set for many applications, your video files, etc.

They seem to think that, as long as you can individually mark files for back up, that's enough but it's not. That's just absurd. If I wanted to have to keep track of new files and individually interact with each one, or even just have to check every level of folder in case I'd missed one, then I wouldn't need their service in the first place. It's the automation that makes it valuable, but by not giving you real control over what gets backed up automatically, they make the service worthless.

If anyone from Carbonite reads this, here's a clue... I don't want 90% of my important personal data files backed up and protected, I want them all backed up and protected and I don't want to have to keep track of them individually to do it. That is why I am a former Carbonite customer. It won't be long before most (or all) of their customers are former customers, but others will learn from their mistakes and we'll have even better options in the future from companies that actually understand their customers' needs.

Phillip Dyson
01-03-2009, 07:41 PM
I've been using Mozy for a few months and I love it. Although its hard to say that about something that is essentially a set and forget.

I do wish they supported WHS for MozyHome. I still want to purchase a WHS appliance but am having a tough time determining where it would fit in between Mozy and Windows Live Sync.

Ploobers
01-05-2009, 09:38 AM
I've been a huge fan of Carbonite and signed up at least a half dozen people for it, but this is a showstopper for me. If this isn't dealt with, I'll be a former customer as well.

lenpal
01-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Hi folks,

Carbonite certainly can back up video files, and they don't need to be individually selected. If a folder is selected for backup, by default the videos within that folder aren't selected. This was actually changed in response to customer feedback, because for a lot of folks the backup and restore processes were being delayed by downloaded content and other material they didn't really need or want to back up.

To back up all video files in a folder, right-click that folder and select Back up video files in this folder. If you spread your video files into multiple folders, you'll need to repeat this for each folder that contains video - but once you've made the selection for that folder, it will remember the setting for any videos added to that folder.

Someone also mentioned .exe and .iso files. These files can be selected for backup manually, but are excluded from automatic backups. Carbonite is a data backup program rather than a "full system backup".

Sincerely,

Jason Dunn
01-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Carbonite will backup videos, but you do have to specify it on a folder by folder basis. All you need to do is right click the folder, pick Carbonite, Backup Videos in this folder then you are done. Just be aware though that this setting does not apply to sub folders, so you will need to enable this for every folder that has videos.

Good to know, but considering that I keep my vacation videos inside each vacation photo folder, I'd have to do a ridiculous amount of clicking. It's ridiculous for Carbonite to expect people do to that - it goes ENTIRELY against their "backup for everyone" marketing approach where they promote themselves as a lowest common denominator backup solution. What you're describing is not simple, intuitive, or fast.

Jason Dunn
01-05-2009, 11:25 PM
I do wish they supported WHS for MozyHome. I still want to purchase a WHS appliance but am having a tough time determining where it would fit in between Mozy and Windows Live Sync.

Yeah, I've emailed them about WHS and the Mozy people keep chanting the same line like a drone: "It's Windows Server 2003, so you need a business license for it..." blah blah. They're completely ignoring the fact that WHS is a consumer-focused product and 100% up their alley...all they need is a version that's compatible with the WHS console. I wonder if they think that people will want to back up their system backups? I'd be happy if they didn't allow that - it would be a HUGE amount of data, and most of it duplicated from the data already on the WHS (if you have your data configured to flow that way).

alanjrobertson
01-05-2009, 11:26 PM
@lenpal - following on from Jason's comments, would it be possible to change the behaviour so that Carbonite automatically backs up all videos with in a folder AND SUBFOLDER unless explicitly told not to?

Jason Dunn
01-07-2009, 04:12 AM
Thanks for being brave enough to come in here and respond Len, that shows character. But I have to disagree with a fair bit of what you're saying...

Carbonite certainly can back up video files, and they don't need to be individually selected. If a folder is selected for backup, by default the videos within that folder aren't selected. This was actually changed in response to customer feedback, because for a lot of folks the backup and restore processes were being delayed by downloaded content and other material they didn't really need or want to back up.

I think the key thing here is "by default". I've installed Carbonite on nearly every computer within my sphere of influence - friends, family, etc. And all because it's easy to use. To have to figure out which folders have video files, and to manually change the backup on them, goes beyond the realm of "default" - and it makes Carbonite more complex, which is the last thing I want for my friends and family. By blocking video files, you've lost the one and only thing that made Carbonite special: brain-dead simple ease of use.

As for users complaining about backups "taking too long"...that's just user ignorance and you should focus on educating users rather than cripping your product.

To back up all video files in a folder, right-click that folder and select Back up video files in this folder. If you spread your video files into multiple folders, you'll need to repeat this for each folder that contains video - but once you've made the selection for that folder, it will remember the setting for any videos added to that folder.

Pretty much every digital camera nowadays takes videos. Most people are going to keep the videos they take in the same folders as their pictures. Most people, if they're even the slighest bit organized, are going to have one folder per vacation/event. You're suggesting that right-clicking on each and every folder is the way to solve this problem. I'm suggesting that's a lot of work for no good reason - if someone selects their Pictures folder for backup, EVERYTHING in it, INCLUDING sub-folders, should be backed up. Period.

Someone also mentioned .exe and .iso files. These files can be selected for backup manually, but are excluded from automatic backups. Carbonite is a data backup program rather than a "full system backup".

It's ignorant for Carbonite to take the approach that EXE files and ISO files are "system" files. I purchase most of my software online, in digital form, and the EXE file that I download is my one and only copy of that software. So to me, that's part of "my stuff" because it's something that I've purchased. Same with ISO files - I keep a few ISO files in my documents folder, mostly boot CDs I've created for emergency purposes. It's MY STUFF, and I wanted it backed up. Since Carbonite won't back up MY STUFF, they've lost my business, and the business of everyone else that I've installed it for.

Pony99CA
01-08-2009, 01:30 AM
I think the key thing here is "by default". I've installed Carbonite on nearly every computer within my sphere of influence - friends, family, etc. And all because it's easy to use. To have to figure out which folders have video files, and to manually change the backup on them, goes beyond the realm of "default" - and it makes Carbonite more complex, which is the last thing I want for my friends and family.
Jason is correct. Another way to look at it is from a user interface perspective. The default settings of a program should not cause nasty surprises, and not getting video (which is data) backed up is a nasty surprise.

The fix is simple. Have video backup on by default. If somebody complains about speed, tell them how to find the "don't back video up" controls. And, for ease of use, there should be an "Include subfolders" check box on any control where you can turn backing up on or off.

If you want to avoid support contacts from people wondering how to turn off video, launch a tutorial or configuration utility the first time the product is used. (I've never used Carbonite, so maybe this is already done.)

Steve

Nurhisham Hussein
01-08-2009, 03:13 AM
Here's a feelgood Mozy story for you guys:

The Big Promise of Cloud Computing - BusinessWeek (http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2008/tc20081215_014901.htm?campaign_id=rss_daily)

jkk
01-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Yes, video backup should be on by default. I'm guessing that storage capacity is starting to become a problem for Carbonite.

Meanwhile, the problem is not as bad as it seems - you don't have to select each folder individually. You can "mass select" using the right-hand pane of Windows Explorer. Select all of the folders that (may) have videos, then do the usual right-click/Carbonite/Back up videos routine.

I'm surprised that Len did not mention this ...

Ed Hansberry
01-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Carbonite employees, including VP of Marketing, posted phony 5 star "reviews" on Amazon. http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/27/carbonite-stacks-the-deck-on-amazon/

Sleeze, pure and simple.

Jason Dunn
01-30-2009, 06:08 AM
Carbonite employees, including VP of Marketing, posted phony 5 star "reviews" on Amazon.

<sigh> When will these companies learn that trying to deceive people online only backfires? I actually dealt with Swami quite a bit back when Carbonite first started out. Seemed like a nice guy...:(

alanjrobertson
03-07-2009, 09:51 PM
After reading this thread I switched from Carbonite to Mozy (& in fairness to them they allowed me to transfer the remainder of my subscription to my Dad!). Although it seems to back up all requested files consistently, I've had a number of problems with the whole computer freezing whilst in the midst of doing things (web browsing, using Outlook, etc). It's now happened on about 5 occasions. Uninstalling Mozy stopped it happening, reinstalling it caused it to happen again. I've got automatic backups off but it happened even when not backing up.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of problem? (no reply from Mozy on the issue yet).

Alan

PS - I also found that annoyingly if interrupted whilst backing up a file it doesn't just continue where it left off, but restart the file again from scratch, even when it is unchanged - a bit annoying for 2.9GB PST! Mozy support have promised to update the FAQ regarding this although haven't done so as of yet. Also when it successfully backs up a large file it seems to spend a rather long time at the end of the backup just sitting at 100% and 0.0b/s transferring - no doubt doing something on the server-side, but it'd be nice to have some sort of confirmation that the process hasn't just crashed!

Ed Hansberry
03-08-2009, 12:42 AM
I've not had the lockup issue. It could be interaction with your AV. I use AVG 8 (paid) on 2 machines with Mozy and no lockups. Might try moving the slidown a bit from "faster backup" to "faster computer" and see if that helps.

On the restarting for large files, yup. I've never seen it do a partial file backup as it advertises. it always starts over. I have my backup set to start at midnight on my main machine, so by the time I wake up, it is done.

On my other PC, it backs up everytime the machine is idle for 30 minutes, but I don't work with big files on that box.

alanjrobertson
03-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks, Ed. I haven't actually replaced the AV on this machine yet (just completed a reinstall a couple of weeks ago) and the freezes are happening even when there is no backup going on. On one occasion I happened just when going into the options panel.

The partial file backup of the PST did happen once it had backed up the full file (it only made a 50MB adjustment to a 2.8GB file the following day), but the problem is during the initial backup of that file.

I guess I'll wait and see what Mozy come back to me with - really quite annoying though :(