View Full Version : Thinking about switching my domain hosting service

Phillip Dyson
11-29-2008, 07:55 AM
I'm thinking about switching my domain hosting to another company. Mostly for pricing reasons. I don't need everything that I'm paying for.

But my question is this...
How complicated is to do so? Should I cancel my hosting and registration for the old company first?

Or sign up for the hosting and registration with the new company first.

thanks for your help

Pony99CA
12-02-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm thinking about switching my domain hosting to another company. Mostly for pricing reasons. I don't need everything that I'm paying for.

But my question is this...
How complicated is to do so? Should I cancel my hosting and registration for the old company first?

Or sign up for the hosting and registration with the new company first.
When I moved from having my ISP host my sites to a real hosting company, I think that I kept the old site active.

I certainly wouldn't cancel current hosting immediately; if you've paid for a month, switch as close to the beginning of the month as possible, copy your files to the new host, ensure they work (using IP addresses) then switch your DNS. Once you know DNS is pointing to the new site, give it a few days to allow propagation, then you can probably kill the old site.

By the way, I use Total Choice Hosting (http://totalchoicehosting.com) (the cheapest reseller plan).

Steve