View Full Version : Foldershare: Two accounts sync to a single computer?

Phillip Dyson
10-29-2008, 12:36 AM
I have a question. Is it possible to have two foldershare accounts syncing to a single computer?

The scenario would be, my laptop and my girlfriends laptop (both with their own folder share accounts) syncing to a single machine on the network. To seperate folders.

Does foldershare support this?

thanks

onlydarksets
10-29-2008, 01:05 AM
It does. You would need 1-2 accounts (depending on whether you want to keep her and your laptop accounts separate).

Setup the first account on the network machine as Device 1, and then share the two folders.
Setup the first account (again) on your laptop as Device 2, and have it sync with your folder.
For her machine, you have two options:

Setup the first account (a third time) on her laptop as Device 3, and have it sync with her folder; or
Setup the second account on her laptop as Device 3, and have it sync with her folder.

It's pretty straightforward once you start playing with it.

Phillip Dyson
10-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Setup the second account on her laptop as Device 3, and have it sync with her folder.

It's pretty straightforward once you start playing with it.

Thanks for the feedback. One question. Am I actually installing foldershare on the common machine twice? Or do you suggest creating a shared library in my account to share with her?

I don't see any way in the install to handle multiple accounts on the common machine.

onlydarksets
10-29-2008, 01:21 PM
No - you install foldershare once with a single account, then setup two shared libraries on the common share. You can sync then independently with different machines.

Phillip Dyson
11-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm considering another option. Perhaps 3 accounts?

1 Account for me.
1 Account for my girlfriend.
1 for the central computer.

The first two "personal" accounts would be responsible for sharing libraries from their computers. The third central account would link to those libraries and sync them to its own system.

This way I could add other foldershare accounts, like my mom's for example without everything going to my account.

Seems like more work but it would be modular and decoupled. I'm a software engineer if you couldn't tell. :)

What do you think?

onlydarksets
11-07-2008, 03:24 PM
You can certainly do that. However, I would think of the physical PCs in terms of ownership or management of the PC. If Person A maintains both PC 1 and PC 2, there is no reason to have separate accounts, since it's OK for both machines to have access to everything on the other.

However, if that offends your SE sensibilities, there's no harm in going the way you described!