View Full Version : PDA freezes when typing "space s" or "space k" - but not a virus.

Timerider
10-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Hi folks,

recently my PDA (HTC Hermes, WM6.0) started to freeze while I was writing an SMS. For some days I thought it was random but I've realised it's whenever I type a space then the letter S or K, or either of these two letters at the beginning of a sentence).

E.g. it would have crashed on the word SMS in my 1st line of this posting.

It actually is hogging 100% CPU but the task can't be killed by WM "end program", so I have to cold-start it.

The PDA has a hardware keyboard but it happens both with this and with the touchscreen keyboard, so I don't know if it's a hardware or software issue.

I'm most grateful for any help as it's driving me crazy having to remember to write SMS without these letter combinations.

Best regards,

Barry Hill

Constant Caffeine
10-31-2008, 11:38 PM
Welcome to the forums. :) Has it accidentally came in contact with any liquids? If not, I would reinstall WM6 on it to see if that makes any difference. Just do not forget to back up your data first.

Reid Kistler
11-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Did you ever figure out your keyboard problem?

Fact that it only happens under certain circumstances, + high cpu usage, makes it sound more like a software problem than a hardware glitch.

Have a couple of programs that do not play nicely with each other (on Axim): apparently they do not release memory & system gets loaded down.

In this case a simple Soft Reset does the trick. SOMETIMES MemoryMate will help, but a Soft Reset is an easy thing to do....

Timerider
11-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Thanks for your replies - haven't solved it yet (still avoiding typing the letters S and K).

What I meant by freezing is 100%cpu in the corresponding task and I can't kill the process.

I'll probably end up hard-reseting the device :-(

Timerider
11-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Hi folks,

just to keep you up-to-date - I never found out what the problen was (no PDA virus scanner ever found anything) but "solved" it by doing a backup with sprite backup then a hard reset then a sprite restore. Since then it's OK!

Regards,
Timerider