View Full Version : Need Help/Suggestions: Zune and WMP

Xarvet
10-19-2008, 10:17 PM
All of my music files are stored in mp3 and wma format on my PC and I use Rhapsody to buy music and WMP11 to manage files and playlists. I also have an iRiver Clix that syncs well with WMP. I'm about to get my wife an 8GB player and she likes the Zune.

We pretty much ruled out anything from Apple since I don't want to have to deal with iTunes and an entirely different process for buying/managing music for her player vs. mine. I also don't want to have to go thru the pain of having to convert my files to something that an iPod can play. So, bottom line, an iPod is out.

Ok, here's where I need your help:

1. Do I *need* to install the Zune software?? Can't I just continue to use WMP11 to manage all my files and playlists and just sync the Zune with WMP11? I really don't want to have to install a separate software program to manage a new player.

2. Does the Zune work well with WMP11? I'm assuming so since they're both MS products, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Are there Zune/WMP11 issues I should be aware of.

3. She only needs 8GB and our budget is about $150. This is probably not the most objective place to ask this question, but is the Zune the best choice or are there other players that might be better, mainly in terms of sound quality and WMP compatibility, for the money.

Thanks!!

Jason Dunn
10-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Yes, you can use the Zune with WMP11:

http://www.zuneboards.com/content/view/308/1/

But it's a hack and I don't know how well it works. I personally think that the Zune software is quite nice, and I use it instead of WMP11 on all my computers now. But since you have a Clix, you can't sync that with the Zune software.

On the other hand, there's no reason why you can't use the Zune software to manage the Zune, and keep using WMP11 to manage to your Clix. Point both pieces of software at the same music directory, and it will work great.

Or, get a SanDisk Sansa instead of a Zune. :)

Xarvet
10-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm picking up a Sansa clip for the wife this a.m. It has all she needs and I can avoid having to use different software for managing two different players.

Jason Dunn
10-20-2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm picking up a Sansa clip for the wife this a.m.

The Sansa Clip is a great little player - I have one, and so does my wife. Very solid and dependable, and great battery life.