View Full Version : Going digital...

Timothy Huber
10-17-2008, 07:06 PM
This morning, my wife called me at work because she decided to listen to her Zune 30 through the docking station on our living room stereo and she couldn't get it to work. The problem was the Zune 80 insert was in the dock instead of the Zune 30 insert. With a little instruction she swapped out the inserts and happily started listening.

While this may not seem like a momentous event, for me it marks a turning point. It's time to seriously go digital; completely digital. No more CDs, no DVDs, no videotapes. I've been thinking about this for a while, but the call from my wife shows that she's ready to head down this road. And, maybe more importantly, things have reached a point where I can put together a "spouse-friendly" solution.

"Spouse-friendly" is the key. I've bought my wife several MP3 players over the years, but she never took to them. The Zune v2 UI upgrade changed that. Straightforward, simple, and easy-to-read. Over the past year her use of the Zune has slowly increased. Until today, when she decided to dock it.

So what does "Going digital..." entail? Here are the highlights:

Single source for documents. Regardless of the computer I'm sitting at, I want to have access to the same set documents. If my wife writes a Christmas letter on the kitchen computer, I want to be able to pull it up on the downstairs computer or my laptop to edit.
Single source for media. One set of music, videos, and photos accessible from anywhere in the house.
No more CDs. I began re-ripping all my audio CDs last fall. I'm almost done. Then they'll be packed away and stored. We have a ZunePass subscription for most new music and various MP3 stores to buy non-DRM music not available via ZunePass. A last resort will be to buy a CD and rip it.
No more DVDs. I have a DVD collection that I'd like to make available to the whole house without having to carry discs up and down stairs. I'm not sure exactly how I'll do this one, but it's one my list. I also have a bunch of Laserdiscs that have never been released on DVD I'd like to convert to digital.
Accessible digital photos. I've had a digital camera since 1999, and we've been exclusively digital since 2002. I've been culling through boxes of photographs going back to 1992 and slowly scanning them. But I want to be able to easily show them and share them; or, more specifically want my wife to be able to show and share them.
Backup. I've been fortunate to date not to have had a catastrophic drive failure. But I've come close. I want to make sure all this digital media is backed up, preferably offsite.
The journey starts today... I just ordered a HP MediaSmart Windows Home Server. I expect this will never really be "finished." We'll see.

Anybody else going down this path? I'd appreciate your comments and feedback.

Best regards,
Timothy

Timothy Huber
10-20-2008, 08:31 PM
I just ordered a HP MediaSmart Windows Home Server.

The server arrived at my desk today, a day earlier than I expected it. Guess what I'll be setting up tonight?

Regards,
Timothy

Jason Dunn
11-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Hi there Timothy! Thanks for the great post - sorry I missed it until now. :)

What you're doing is what I've been doing for years, and will continue to do: try to make my life as digital as possible. Let me briefly share my infrastructure with you, and maybe you can adopt the parts of it that make sense to you.

I have a Windows Home Server. On it I have a copy of all my music, photos, and videos (not ripped DVDs, just regular videos). I have a computer that's my TV/movie recording computer, and also my CD ripping computer. It has what I consider the master copy of my music since that's where I rip my music to. I have a backup program, SynbackSE, that I use to keep my local music/photo/video folders in sync with the WHS - I have it set to sync every couple of hours.

I use FolderShare (http://www.foldershare.com) to keep everything in sync between all my computers. That means that on all of my PCs, the same content is in my Pictures folder, Documents folder, etc. The huge folders, Music and Videos, are on my TV/movie recording computer, in the Public folders. For email I'm either using IMAP or hosted Exchange.

What I haven't done is eliminated DVDs...I'm still searching for the right kind of software to fit in with the infrastructure I have of Windows Vista computers, my WHS, Xbox 360, and Windows Media Center.

So, basically, I've set up a series of round-robin type solutions where all my data flows from one computer to another, allowing me to have everything I need on each PC that I sit down on.

Hope this helps a bit! :D

Timothy Huber
11-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Hi there Timothy! Thanks for the great post - sorry I missed it until now. :)

I have a Windows Home Server. On it I have a copy of all my music, photos, and videos (not ripped DVDs, just regular videos). I have a computer that's my TV/movie recording computer, and also my CD ripping computer. It has what I consider the master copy of my music since that's where I rip my music to. I have a backup program, SynbackSE, that I use to keep my local music/photo/video folders in sync with the WHS - I have it set to sync every couple of hours.

I use FolderShare (http://www.foldershare.com) to keep everything in sync between all my computers. That means that on all of my PCs, the same content is in my Pictures folder, Documents folder, etc. The huge folders, Music and Videos, are on my TV/movie recording computer, in the Public folders. For email I'm either using IMAP or hosted Exchange.

Interesting. Before I had the WHS I was using a combination of FolderShare and Live Mesh to keep my media and documents synchronized. I ran into issues with FolderShare constantly updating my music on one or the other of the PC's, even though nothing had changed.

Here's what I've implemented so far:

Home office PC, kitchen PC, and a Windows Home Server. I have a shuttle XPC that I have to build that will connect to the HDTV in the family room.
I'm using Live Mesh to synchronize the documents folder and all photographs between the PCs
All non-DRM music is currently stored on the WHS and Zune software on the individual PC's point to the server.
Music downloaded from the Zune marketplace is stored on local machines. I may change this in the future, not sure.
All videos stored on the WHS.
I haven't yet started pursing ripping DVD's in earnest.
Currently photos are on the office computer synching to
Both PC's backup to the WHS. The kitchen PC also backups to Mozy.
I use Synctoy to pull a copy of the non-DRM music down to the kitchen PC drive for backup under Mozy.
Things are still in the early stages. What I'd like to see is Live Mesh on WHS. From the PDC sessions last week, it sounds like that may be coming.

This weekend I hope to get the Shuttle XPC set up as a Vista Media Center PC. Then I'll start to focus on addressing DVDs.

Timothy

Jason Dunn
11-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Sounds like we have very similar setups!

I ran into issues with FolderShare constantly updating my music on one or the other of the PC's, even though nothing had changed.

Strange - I've been running FolderShare practically everywhere for years, and I've never seen that problem. Something must have been updating the files in some fashion...