View Full Version : Do you have an intranet on your home network?

Phillip Dyson
10-17-2008, 04:17 AM
The other day I was staring at my household shopping list hanging on the Refrigerator. Its a dry erase board that we add to when something runs out.

It got me to thinking, what would be a better way for me to access this information when I was away from home.

How do you share information across your household? Do you use a web page of some kind? I suppose sharepoint would be perfect if it was accessible from the outside, and best of all it would be electronic. Nothing to copy down when its time to go shopping.

I do have a hosted exchange account, but it doesn't come with that feature as far as I know.

So I'm wondering.... what do you use to share information with your household.

David Tucker
10-17-2008, 04:59 AM
That's a good question. Now that I have my Mini I am much more interested in the ability to keep things accessible between computers with little work on my part after I set it up.

Timothy Huber
10-17-2008, 07:52 PM
There's a free web service called Cozi. It has some nice features to support family schedules, lists, and notes . Originally, it was a PC client that sync'd to the web but is now cloud-based with sync'ing to Outlook.

The barrier for me is my lovely wife. She's not quite ready to ditch the paper calendars and lists. I expect she'll slowly come around, as she has with using the Harmony remote and steadly increasing use of her Zune. The key to any family solution for me is that it needs to work predicatbly and simply.

Regards,
Timothy

onlydarksets
10-17-2008, 08:21 PM
www.tadalist.com

Super simple, which is what the scratch lists need to be.

Hooch Tan
10-23-2008, 04:15 AM
While not multi-user, have you considered a service like EverNote?

http://www.evernote.com/

It's similar to Sharepoint in some ways, but it's close to OneNote in combination with Sharepoint. It'll handle pictures, handwriting, etc.

Phillip Dyson
11-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I just discovered that 4smartphone.net offers Sharepoint 2007 services with their Team Plus accounts. Has anyone tried this?

onlydarksets
11-07-2008, 03:40 PM
I use that extensively at work. Along the same lines, have you tried Microsoft Office Live Small Business and Microsoft Office Live Workspace (http://www.officelive.com) Workspace? It's a streamlined version of SharePoint.