View Full Version : sd card slot on laptop not working

hrfranklin06
10-14-2008, 01:46 AM
Ok I have a question for those of you that have a laptop/computer that has the sd card reader and have had a memory card stuck in it. Last week my husband went to get pictures off our digital camera that takes the Sony Memory Card Duo and he did not use the adapter and got the small part stuck in the laptop. I was able to find a suggestion on here to get it out. I took the adapter and stuck it in backwards with the open part in the computer so it would grab the card and pull it out. That worked perfect btw. Now to the problem I went to use it today with our SD card and got no response from it when I put the card in and I was wondering if anyone else had any problems and what the solutions may have been. It's not a problem to get things off the camera but our cell phones use the micro sd cards and we have to use the adapter to get anything from there to the computer and now it's not working. Any information would be very helpful.

Jason Dunn
10-15-2008, 03:47 PM
It's hard to say, but I suspect you've permanently damaged the SD card reader. All it would take is moving one of the contact points slightly and it wouldn't be able to read SD cards any longer. You could try a different SD card just to be sure, but I suspect the laptop itself is the part that's damaged. Your alternative is getting a USB-based SD card reader and using that...

Pony99CA
10-15-2008, 09:17 PM
I went to use it today with our SD card and got no response from it when I put the card in and I was wondering if anyone else had any problems and what the solutions may have been.
Did the same card work in the laptop before? If it did, follow Jason's advice. If you got a new memory card or have never tried them before, how old is your laptop and what kind of SD cards are you using?

If the laptop is fairly old, it may not recognize cards larger than 1 GB (my old Fujitsu would only recognize the first 1 GB of a 2 GB card, for example).

Also, if your laptop only supports SD and your memory cards are SDHC, they probably wouldn't be recognized.

Steve

hrfranklin06
10-16-2008, 02:16 AM
Did the same card work in the laptop before? If it did, follow Jason's advice. If you got a new memory card or have never tried them before, how old is your laptop and what kind of SD cards are you using?

If the laptop is fairly old, it may not recognize cards larger than 1 GB (my old Fujitsu would only recognize the first 1 GB of a 2 GB card, for example).

Also, if your laptop only supports SD and your memory cards are SDHC, they probably wouldn't be recognized.

Steve

We bought our laptop last Christmas so it's not quite a year old. The memory card for our phone is the micro sd card with the adapter, the one for the camera is the sony memory stick duo. The small part of the duo is the one that got stuck cause it's too short to go in there and he forgot to put it in the adapter. They are both 2 gb cards and they both worked before he got the one stuck in it.

It's hard to say, but I suspect you've permanently damaged the SD card reader. All it would take is moving one of the contact points slightly and it wouldn't be able to read SD cards any longer. You could try a different SD card just to be sure, but I suspect the laptop itself is the part that's damaged. Your alternative is getting a USB-based SD card reader and using that...

I had a feeling something got messed up in it. I've tried both memory cards we have which are different types I didn't even think of a USB-based reader. Didn't help I was not very happy I couldn't get it too work. And I'm sure seeing about getting it repaired would be more expensive than getting a USB reader

Jason Dunn
10-16-2008, 09:40 PM
And I'm sure seeing about getting it repaired would be more expensive than getting a USB reader

Considering that you can get a USB SD card reader for probably $20, and I doubt you can even get a computer tech's attention for that much, I think you probably have your answer. :o The one I'd suggest is the SanDisk MicroMate:

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(2018)-SDDR-113-A11-MicroMate_for_SDHC.aspx

But that's just for SD cards...and since you have a mixed-memory scenario, what you'd need is something bigger that can handle both formats:

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(2699)-SDDR-199-A20-SanDisk_ImageMate_MultiCard_USB_20_Reader.aspx

hrfranklin06
10-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Thanks. I'm gonna have to get one. I can't believe it don't dawn on me to think of that. lol No telling how many times I've seen them lol