View Full Version : Windows Live Hotmail won't use WiFi when available

MikeKey
10-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Hi there,

I have a question about an annoying problem that I've only managed to find one (unanswered) question to on the web.

I have an HTC Touch Diamond (WM6.1) which I use to read email from my Hotmail account, amongst other things. The problem is that the messaging client ALWAYS tries to download my mail via 3G/GPRS even when there's a WiFi connection available. This occurs both when I initiate the send/receive using TouchFlo 3D or from within the mail client.

Connection manager is, as far as I'm aware, configured correctly, and PIE/Opera/weather will all happily use WiFi to connect to the internet, only using my data connection when WiFi isn't available.

The same results occur with connection manager configured in either of the following ways:

Internet Connection = "My ISP" settings with 3G modem connection
Work Connection = Default "My Work Network" settings
WiFi Access Point = Connects to Internet
Network Card = Connects to Internet

OR

Internet Connection = "My Work Network" with 3G modem connection and "This network connects to the internet" enabled
Work Connection = As Internet Connection
WiFi Access Point = Connects to Work
Network Card = Connects to Work

Interestingly, if I disable my data connection and enable WiFi I CAN send/receive mail over the WiFi connection, so it seems like the data connection is being used in preference to the WiFi one.

Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong?!

Thanks,

Mike