View Full Version : Thinking about getting a Tilt

applejosh
09-13-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm thinking about dumping my Verizon contract and moving to AT&T (since Verizon signal is mysteriously lackluster at my house in the past half year). I've been thinking about the Tilt but wanted to get the opinions of some who have personal experience with the device.

Does it work reliably? It has GPS, correct? Any issues with the durability of the sliding keyboard? Does it have WM 6.1 (maybe with the latest ROM update that I saw posted recently)? And how is AT&T as a whole? I'm guessing they can't be worse than Verizon.

It's a rather big step for me (monetarily and because I'm had Verizon (or one of their previous names/incarnations) for about 10 years), but it's gotten to a tipping point where they're ticking me off more than I can actually say they're doing OK.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

schmenge
09-13-2008, 05:57 PM
I have been with AT&T for 8+ years and overall have been happy with the cell service. I went from an 8125 (Wizard) to the Tilt about three months ago and just flashed the 6.1 ROM when it come out. My only real "gripe" about the Tilt is for whoever designed the hard keys. I don't have particular fat fingers, but it is real easy, especially if it is dark, to hit the wrong hard key. Not a show stopped for me, but an annoyance.

I have not used the GPS extensively, but when I have (both with Google Maps and MS Live) I have found it to be very accurate. I like to write not type so I don't use the slide out keyboard, but I think you would find that very reliable.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd get another Tilt. I assume that AT&T sells them with WM 6.1 now, but if not it is an easy upgrade.

applejosh
09-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks Schmenge. I just got done reading a thread (can't remember where) that outlined all the problems people were having with the new 6.1 ROM update. The delay in GPS signal acquisition, power button problems, and a general slowness topped the list. It didn't instill a lot of confidence in me. I do know that people are more likely to list complaints than praises, so I try to balance that when considering things. But still, it didn't shine a positive light on the Tilt at all.

Reid Kistler
09-13-2008, 06:09 PM
We have been with AT&T Wireless for several years now - in fact, since they were AT&T Wireless... (AT&T Wireless - sold to Cingular - then back to AT&T Wireless).

We have been happy with the service, although the phone in use does impact signal strength in certain areas.
But we also live in the Metropolitan Detroit area, most of our travel has been to other metro areas (Atlanta, Knoxville, Pittsburgh...)m and / or up & down major freeway routes, which means we have had few problems with obtaining a signal but have limited experience out in the 'boonies.'

Have posted before that IF I HAD to replace BOTH the Axim & Cell Phone the Tilt would be the choice, based upon current devices available for AT&T service (at least without spending a small fortune) - but that is based mostly upon specs, in-store playing around, plus carrying the previous AT&T HTC device (something like 8525) for a few weeks (on loan from favorite AT&T Rep).

Major concerns have been that Hybrid Devices don't work ideally as either a Phone or a PDA, being too large for the one usage and/or too small for the other - plus don't really need (or want) a keyboard for PDA functions, but Do want a keyboard for Phone functions....

But, for someone who likes the idea of only having to carry a single device - or the possible cost savings - the Tilt seems like a good choice, and it's price has come down considerably (can now get a Tilt for same $$ as some of the newer non-pda phones!).

Have fun shopping....

schmenge
09-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Thanks Schmenge. I just got done reading a thread (can't remember where) that outlined all the problems people were having with the new 6.1 ROM update. The delay in GPS signal acquisition, power button problems, and a general slowness topped the list. It didn't instill a lot of confidence in me. I do know that people are more likely to list complaints than praises, so I try to balance that when considering things. But still, it didn't shine a positive light on the Tilt at all.

To be fair I am not sure if I have used the GPS since going to 6.1, but I had no acquisition problems before. I do have the "power button" problem. It can be annoying for sure. I just figure that it will get fixed in a future ROM update and don't really worry about it.

I do think that the Tilt is a smidgen slower with 6.1 than 6.0, but I find battery life to be MUCH better. With 6.0 I kept the 3G toggled off almost all of the time and with 6.1 I am leaving it on. So if I am a tad slower, and that is driving the battery life, then it is worth it to me.

jadesse
09-14-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm thinking about dumping my Verizon contract and moving to AT&T (since Verizon signal is mysteriously lackluster at my house in the past half year). I've been thinking about the Tilt but wanted to get the opinions of some who have personal experience with the device.

Does it work reliably? It has GPS, correct? Any issues with the durability of the sliding keyboard? Does it have WM 6.1 (maybe with the latest ROM update that I saw posted recently)? And how is AT&T as a whole? I'm guessing they can't be worse than Verizon.

It's a rather big step for me (monetarily and because I'm had Verizon (or one of their previous names/incarnations) for about 10 years), but it's gotten to a tipping point where they're ticking me off more than I can actually say they're doing OK.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

The Tilt is a great device but you might want to wait for a while. As the Tilt may not be replaced in the line-up but AT&T has to come out with something new in the next couple of months.

applejosh
09-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Well, I may end up waiting a little while regardless. I have to see how much the weekend's wind damage is going to cost me. :(

jadesse
09-21-2008, 04:00 AM
Well, I may end up waiting a little while regardless. I have to see how much the weekend's wind damage is going to cost me. :(
Hopefully all is well. It look like AT&T might get its own version of the Touch Pro. If the rumor is correct it should be released towards the end of Oct.