View Full Version : Does AT&T limit GPS functionality

applejosh
09-12-2008, 02:28 PM
I've been with Verizon for a number of years using various phones and such (haven't had a PPC/Smartphone with them as of yet, but I do have a Blackberry (I was curious - don't hurt me)). My current home apparently is smack dab in the middle between two towers, and my signal goes from, eh, decent, to downright terrible several times a minute. (I had to get a landline type phone just to be able to talk to my wife without dropping the call 3 times an evening.) Even though I'm still under contract with Verizon, I'm thinking about testing the waters with AT&T (and probably going with a Tilt).

Does AT&T do any stupid stuff like limiting the functionality of GPS so only their apps work? (One of my gripes with Verizon.)

Thanks,
Josh

ADBrown
09-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Not really. For example, on my Blackjack II the system defaults to Telenav, but you can absolutely use other apps (though on the BJ2, only ones that support the GPS Intermediate Driver, like Google Maps and Garmin).

jadesse
09-14-2008, 12:38 AM
I've been with Verizon for a number of years using various phones and such (haven't had a PPC/Smartphone with them as of yet, but I do have a Blackberry (I was curious - don't hurt me)). My current home apparently is smack dab in the middle between two towers, and my signal goes from, eh, decent, to downright terrible several times a minute. (I had to get a landline type phone just to be able to talk to my wife without dropping the call 3 times an evening.) Even though I'm still under contract with Verizon, I'm thinking about testing the waters with AT&T (and probably going with a Tilt).

Does AT&T do any stupid stuff like limiting the functionality of GPS so only their apps work? (One of my gripes with Verizon.)

Thanks,
Josh

You can use what ever software you want. AT&T cannot charge you for using the GPS unless you are using their Telnav. Where they will get you is using Live Search or Google Maps because those require a data connection.

Sven Johannsen
09-15-2008, 10:31 PM
I'm using a Tilt an ATT. I do use Live Search, Virtual Earth Mobile and Google earth, and access the GPS, retrieving the map data via a data plan. I also have Mapopolis and Pocket Streets loaded which are able to access the GPS as well, with onboard maps.

applejosh
09-16-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm using a Tilt an ATT. I do use Live Search, Virtual Earth Mobile and Google earth, and access the GPS, retrieving the map data via a data plan. I also have Mapopolis and Pocket Streets loaded which are able to access the GPS as well, with onboard maps.

Hi Sven,

How do you like the tilt. Have you upgraded to the 6.1 ROM? If so, any issues?

And thanks for the confirmation on the GPS, everyone.

Sven Johannsen
09-16-2008, 10:03 PM
No, actually I have not upgraded, though I have downloaded the package. I do like the Tilt. Went to it from the Wizard, which I liked a lot too. The physical attribute that gives it it's name I don't find very useful as it kind of hides the soft keys when tilted. Used flat it is fine, and the tilt is nice for watching a video in landscape. It's fairly snappy for a Windows (mobile or otherwise) device, though a bit more umpf would be nice. Expect that would come with a reduced battery life, or increased size though, so there is the physics tradeoff you are stuck with.

Haven't upgraded because there isn't that much to entice me. IE works acceptably for me, I don't do enough text to make threaded SMS a big deal, and the WM pro doesn't get the newer front page UI. I have a 6.1 Smartphone and do like the new home page, but you don't get that withWM Pro. So for me the enhancements don't really justify the time and effot to upgrade and rebuild at this point.

I must point out that I am much more a PDA guy than a phone guy. Given that the size of the unit, little big, little heavy, to my phone centric friends, is no problem to me.

applejosh
09-17-2008, 03:03 AM
No, actually I have not upgraded, though I have downloaded the package. I do like the Tilt. Went to it from the Wizard, which I liked a lot too. The physical attribute that gives it it's name I don't find very useful as it kind of hides the soft keys when tilted. Used flat it is fine, and the tilt is nice for watching a video in landscape. It's fairly snappy for a Windows (mobile or otherwise) device, though a bit more umpf would be nice. Expect that would come with a reduced battery life, or increased size though, so there is the physics tradeoff you are stuck with.

Haven't upgraded because there isn't that much to entice me. IE works acceptably for me, I don't do enough text to make threaded SMS a big deal, and the WM pro doesn't get the newer front page UI. I have a 6.1 Smartphone and do like the new home page, but you don't get that withWM Pro. So for me the enhancements don't really justify the time and effot to upgrade and rebuild at this point.

I must point out that I am much more a PDA guy than a phone guy. Given that the size of the unit, little big, little heavy, to my phone centric friends, is no problem to me.

As far as phone/PDA units, I've had the Verizon 6700 (buggy at the time), Motorola Q (really didn't like it), the Sprint 6700 (recycled hand-me-down that locked up constantly), and now I have the Sprint Mogul (6800), which I do like. The size is fine for me, and actually, it's been a pretty darn solid device thus far (granted, I've had it a week).

Thanks for the mini review!

applejosh
09-18-2008, 03:25 AM
Just so I'm clear, the data plan mentioned is just any old data plan that you usually get with a smartphone if you want to take full advantage of the device, correct? (I think AT&T has a $30 unlimited personal data plan.)

Sven Johannsen
09-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Just so I'm clear, the data plan mentioned is just any old data plan that you usually get with a smartphone if you want to take full advantage of the device, correct? (I think AT&T has a $30 unlimited personal data plan.)
That would be the one. The Web based map thingies like Google Earth, MS Live Earth and such, use the GPS internally to know where they are and then use the data plan to download the map stuff surrounding that point. You can use the data plan to get the map data and display it or search for something without the GPS even. You just need to tell it what point to search around.

You could use the GPS without a data plan, as I do with Pocket Streets and Mapopolis sometimes, but you have to have the appropriate map data already loaded on the device. Trying to get all of the US in sufficient detail is pretty tough, but you can certainly get all of a big city if you are going there for vacation. You do need to take the time to select and copy the right stuff to the device.

jadesse
09-21-2008, 04:06 AM
That would be the one. The Web based map thingies like Google Earth, MS Live Earth and such, use the GPS internally to know where they are and then use the data plan to download the map stuff surrounding that point. You can use the data plan to get the map data and display it or search for something without the GPS even. You just need to tell it what point to search around.

You could use the GPS without a data plan, as I do with Pocket Streets and Mapopolis sometimes, but you have to have the appropriate map data already loaded on the device. Trying to get all of the US in sufficient detail is pretty tough, but you can certainly get all of a big city if you are going there for vacation. You do need to take the time to select and copy the right stuff to the device.

You can buy Tomtom Navigator 6 for about $100. You can fit the whole U.S. take about 1G.