View Full Version : The Vista TV Pack bug (and a call to fix it)

onlydarksets
09-04-2008, 06:52 AM
Andy (babvgant) has found a bug in the VMC API that now prevents commercial skipping (among other add-on functions) from working. He has a post about it here (http://babgvant.com/blogs/andyvt/archive/2008/09/03/dvrmstoolbox-amp-the-tv-pack.aspx).

In short, it's a fairly substantial bug in the API, but MS "won't [fix it] unless there's a solid business case to do the right thing (how backwards is that?)".

Charlie Owen has requested users of VMC TV Pack to post to the thread (see below). If you use VMC with the TV Pack, please post a comment!

I'd like to chime in here and encourage folks to leave a comment stating you use DVR-MS Toolbox to help Andrew assess the customer impact statement. While it's perhaps cathartic to heap burning coals upon my head (and to some extent, Microsofts name) it does nothing to build a case to get this resolved sooner rather than later. The best thing you can do is stay on topic and let Andrew know you are a user of DTB.
Application compatibility is a tricky art -- you can't possibly test every piece of software written on your platform so you have to pick the ones you feel will give you the broadest range of coverage. Unfortunately DVR-MS Toolbox was not on this short list in the past. Andrew has provided me with a list of use cases for future application compatibility testing.
Seriously, avoid the urge to rail on me or Microsoft -- leave a short comment letting Andrew know you use DVR-MS Toolbox.
Charlie Owen
Microsoft Corporation