View Full Version : Dell Axim screen replacement part 1

Cybrid
08-26-2008, 07:09 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JkvzEdjc78A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JkvzEdjc78A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I did a screen replacement on my Dell Axim x50v. I uploaded the videos from my hi-def camcorder to YouTube. The video is in 15 parts

Reid Kistler
08-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Nice idea, but viewed several of the videos & had a hard time following along...

In any case, how about some details: where did you find a new screen?
What did it cost?
Were the results worthwhile?

Cybrid
08-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Nice idea, but viewed several of the videos & had a hard time following along...

In any case, how about some details: where did you find a new screen?
What did it cost?
Were the results worthwhile?$50 and an hour of my time. Ebay (Seller: business0198) . Works as new. Buy LCD/Touchscreen together! The two are in a tin casing and difficult to extricate...

At your own risk!

If 2003SE, Backup!
Remove all cards, stylus, battery and cover.
Use a #5 torx screwdriver to open 4 screws under the rubber feet
Use a small nail file or pry tool between the silver trim and black backing and gently separate the two halves.
Paying attention to the thin microphone wires (top right), gently remove the assembly from the front casing. The microphone pulls out from a little round socket in the front part of the casing.
point of no return! Lay the assembly flat face down. Undo 4 screws on the remaining black casing.
The thin microphone wires are in a hook on the casing. As you remove the casing, unhook them. Leave lying face down.
The main board and LCD/button/Metal caddy assembly is connected by 4 ribbon cables. The next steps are dependent on level of skill.
The wide LCD ribbon has a black clip across that opens upward (Assembly still face down).
The thinner Touchscreen ribbon has two white tabs, one on each side, that will open side ways in the direction of the ribbon (Assembly still face down).
Carefully turn assembly over.
Note how the wide LCD ribbon is inserted through a slit in the caddy and the Touchscreen one over the top. The LCD/Touchscreen can now be gently pried out of the metal caddy. I tore my old LCD ribbon while removing it from the caddy...
You'll now be able to see how the remaining two ribbon cables connect the caddy/button assembly.
If proficient and skilled, you may be able to : slide the wide ribbon through the slit, turn device over, clip ribbons securely. I had no success in that approach
I undid the remaining ribbon cables. They snap in /snap out.
With the LCD inserted correctly in the caddy. Wide ribbon through slit, thin one over
With the caddy face up and the motherboard face down (Think of an open book face down). There should be enough play to insert the wide ribbon correctly. There is a slight suction-like pull when seated correctly. Close the clip.
Seat and clip the thin touchscreen ribbon.
Fold the two parts together (like closing the book).
Using the screwdriver or thin pry tool. Snap the ribbon cable that is between the caddy and motherboard into place.
Snap button ribbon cable into place.
Turn device over. Lay it face down.
Carefully hook the microphone wires and position the black backing.
Screw in 4 screws to secure caddy to motherboard to black back. Do not over tighten. It is NOT a lugnut.
While paying attention to the microphone. Slowly place the completed assembly into the front casing. The microphone should fit into the round socket.
Tuck in any ribbon cables, microphone wires.
Align back casing to the top first (headphone jack) and snap the two halves together. Take care not to pinch any delicate cables.
Replace 4 black torx screws.
Test all functions.
Apply rubber feet.
Do victory dance (refer to superbowl tapes).

Hopefully that will make the video understandable.
Wish I had a tripod. :)

Reid Kistler
08-28-2008, 06:03 PM
And here thought I was being ADVENTUROUS when Bending The PINS back into shape on my Axim! (actually worked for a couple of months....).

In any event, thanks for the additional details - hopefully will never have to try out the procedure....