View Full Version : Map software for my BlackBerry 8120

zcamov
08-25-2008, 05:31 AM
Hi Guys,

Searching for advice on map software for my BlackBerry, I want software that can give me turn by turn directions.

Farina
09-04-2008, 02:42 AM
Hey man, a lot of this depends on what your needs are, so my answer here is pretty subjective. The direction finder in my downloadable mobile portal, Pocket Express works pretty well and has gotten me through urban and rural environments alike. There is a monthly subscriber fee of $10, unlike much of this otherwise (mostly) free product. It comes bundled with a flight information service and a 411 service, so it is clearly geared towards travelers. I'd say its worth it if you happen to be a frequent traveler.

zcamov
09-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Hey thanks for recommendation.

I've found Pocket Express to be great, I haven't used their map service yet, but man there are so many extra features.

I went with the Express Executive subscription which is $6.99 a month. I get pretty much every feature on the mobile platform.

To be honest I would be happy paying that without even getting turn by turn directions, I think this mobile portal will a part of my daily routine.

I really like the news, weather and financial channels, I read a lot of content at home and I'm a net junkie. But find surfing traditional site on my phone difficult, even site optimized for mobile. So this software really solves that problem for me. :D

Have you got any favourite features I should know about?

Farina
09-09-2008, 11:14 PM
There are two things I use a lot on Pocket Express. First is sports scores. I'm not a sports fanatic, but I generally flip to sports channels on my tv and check the scores for my teams. Problem is, tv isn't set up to tell me scores when I want it. In the past, navigating through WAP has been a slow and sometimes frustrating experience (out of coverage, network congestion, etc.). The Pocket Express sync process is efficient and almost invisible. The other thing I use it for, it turns out, is coverage on the 2008 elections. I've become a political junkie, especially with Sarah Palin in the race. It's pretty balanced coverage actually. This cost me $6.99 to get but since I check it pretty regularly it's worth it. I'm glad they have recently become more friendly to ATT smartphone users. Apparently you can get--for a limited time--free access to some of the enhanced services.

zcamov
09-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Hey Farina,

Yes I'm a political junkie myself as well. It's so cool, to have all the latest breaking news on your phone. Hey even Barrack Obama texted his supporters who his VP pick was. But don't get me started on Barrack :D.

I haven't really used the sports features until you mentioned them, but yes I've got hooked on that. Esp with the NFL season starting. It's going to be an interesting FALL. NFL Elections!!!!!

Pocket Express will keep in the loop where ever I am.!