View Full Version : Average Mac Costs at Least 2x Average PC

Chris Gohlke
08-09-2008, 10:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.dailytech.com/Vista+Computers+Half+the+Cost+of+Macs+on+Average/article12590.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.dailytech.com/Vista+Comp...rticle12590.htm</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>"While obviously it&rsquo;s comparing apples and oranges, and the products appeal to different markets, it&rsquo;s interesting to look at how Mac prices have changed versus PC prices. Macs have gone from an average price of $1,432 and $1,574, for desktops and laptops respectively in June '06 to $1,543 and $1,515 respectively in June '08. While much lower to start, PCs are now even lower in average sale price. The average PC notebook went from $877 to $700, while the average desktop dipped just barely from $559 to $550. Vista PCs have reached a sweet point with pricing that is appealing not just to the high end crowd, but to the masses. And while prices are staying constant, hardware features are increasing, which is good for the consumer. As Mr. Baker puts it, "Of course there is feature creep&mdash;there always is.""</em></p><p>This article brings up an interesting point.&nbsp; No matter how great you think the Mac OS is, is it really worth a 100%+ premium in the purchase price of a computer?</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

canux
08-09-2008, 11:08 PM
It's not quite as lopsided as that. However, to each their own. Why do some buy a Mercedes over a Ford?

After 20 years on the DOS/Windows PC side, I bought an iMac last December for home to go with my Fujitsu U810 UMPC. The hardware, build quality and finish is second to none. With the wireless mouse and keyboard, you have all but one cable...the power cord. It really is an amazing package, which is what Apple does better than most.

I recently purchased a new quad core box at work, with an upscale video card and 2GB RAM to run SolidWorks (3D mechanical design software) and the price was almost the same as the iMac, so the article is somewhat comparing A's to O's. Although I dual boot on the iMac with Vista as well, OS-X paired with the iMac (core 2 dual) hardware is faster than my quad core work computer with XP hands down.

It's just like the iPhone craze. My wife (not a tech person at all) had the HTC S621 and used it for Exchange e-mail only because she had trouble doing anything else on it. I bought her the iPhone and she knows how to do almost everything on it already. It's simple and works well for her needs. However, I do not want one...I like WinMo much better with my Moto Q9h. That being said, I'll be one of the first to snag an HTC Touch Diamond or Touch Pro because a touch-catered interface is the way to go (and not a PPC phone) bar none...especially with internet. iPhone's Safari truly blew me away. WiFi is also a must for me now, given the abundance of WiFi while travelling and rediculous data roaming rates.

Personal preference I say...and keep in mind you get what you pay for...even with a Windows PC!

ctmagnus
08-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Average Mac Costs at Least 2x Average PC

Compare and contrast with Tom's Hardware says Apple and PC prices are equivalent - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) (http://www.tuaw.com/2008/08/07/toms-hardware-says-apple-and-pc-prices-are-equivalent/).

One thing is certain: If you do your homework, you get what you pay for.

Janak Parekh
08-10-2008, 02:43 AM
It's not quite as lopsided as that. However, to each their own. Why do some buy a Mercedes over a Ford? Exactly. Apple goes for low-volume, high-margin sales. It's not for me to tell people what's the right choice. For me, though, I love my iMac (and my work MBP). The iMac's engineering is spotless; it's a remarkable piece of hardware. Two random points that canux didn't mention:

1. The iMac doesn't have a single annoying LED.
2. The iMac runs silently almost always except when you're stressing the CPU, and then you hear a slight hiss and only in the quietest of circumstances.

This makes it a perfect bedroom computer. I can leave the computer running at night ripping a DVD (for example) without being distracted. It's the first computer I've owned that's been that way. It was also the most expensive computer I've bought, and is only slightly above average for 3D games. ;)

--janak

Macguy59
08-10-2008, 08:01 PM
That's discounting Apple hardware designs and the bundled apps. Were I to switch to Vista I would still want to run it on Apple hardware.

onlydarksets
08-11-2008, 03:44 AM
2. The iMac runs silently almost always except when you're stressing the CPU, and then you hear a slight hiss and only in the quietest of circumstances.

Is that true even running Vista? I've got an extra copy of Home Premium, so it's an intriguing option if it is, indeed, near-silent.

jeffd
08-11-2008, 08:56 AM
I have to lolz at the all night ripping dvd thing. My quad core would rip a dvd in the time it takes me to brush my teeth and get ready for bed, and it could convert an x264 movie into a dvd in about twice that time.

Now, if you take what THEY are comparing too.. yea.. Apple uses high end hardware while that $500 PC tower is using a cheap chinese mobo and the slowest memory around. However for slightly more then that you could build a pc with high quality components, thats what I do.

"With the wireless mouse and keyboard, you have all but one cable...the power cord."

Wireless keyboards and mice are far from new, nore have they ever been limited to Mac. I don't like to use a wireless KB because of gaming needs, but I use a wireless mouse.

"1. The iMac doesn't have a single annoying LED."

Currently my pc isn't showing ANY LEDs. There's a small power led on the outside of the case but its a black monolith looking case so I hooked the power up to a spare light thats behind the door, for any diagnosing reasons. There's thousands of PC cases out there.. im sure many don't have annoying lights on em.

"2. The iMac runs silently almost always except when you're stressing the CPU"

My PC would if it didn't need to cool 2 sticks of memory running 1066mhz, a quad core cpu, 8800gtx video card, and a performance nvidia motherboard. It all comes down to how much power you have under the hood. I have a dell laptop that uses that first entry level duo chip from intel, it runs cool and quiet and still way faster then anything I need for a laptop.

I don't mind the mac OSX platform, I think its healthy for more OS options to be available for all, but Mac hardware is an idiot tax, because only the stupid would pay so much more for so much less.

Any why is the boards auto logout feature like 60 seconds. :p

Janak Parekh
08-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Is that true even running Vista? I've got an extra copy of Home Premium, so it's an intriguing option if it is, indeed, near-silent. I have Vista Ultimate installed on the iMac, but I only use it for 15-20 minutes once or twice a month, so I don't honestly know. ;) I'll let others chime in on this one.

--janak

Janak Parekh
08-11-2008, 04:57 PM
I have to lolz at the all night ripping dvd thing. My quad core would rip a dvd in the time it takes me to brush my teeth and get ready for bed, and it could convert an x264 movie into a dvd in about twice that time. The iMac doesn't actually spend all night ripping, but depending on the settings (e.g., highest quality, two-pass), it can take a couple hours. The machine is no CPU slouch; it's a Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz and is damn snappy. However, I just leave the machine on, let it do its thing, and then Handbrake suspends the machine after it's finished.

Now, if you take what THEY are comparing too.. yea.. Apple uses high end hardware while that $500 PC tower is using a cheap chinese mobo and the slowest memory around. However for slightly more then that you could build a pc with high quality components, thats what I do. My comments were primarily in the context of what you can get off-the-shelf, which is what most consumers do. Of course you can build your own, and many of the arguments then go out of the window. I have built in the vicinity of 1,000 machines back in my IT consulting days, but I have absolutely no desire to build machines anymore. Moreover, the iMac's form factor is amazing. It's lousy if you want an expandable machine, but for a slim desk form factor it's hard to beat.

Wireless keyboards and mice are far from new, nore have they ever been limited to Mac. I don't like to use a wireless KB because of gaming needs, but I use a wireless mouse. You forgot about the video cable and the monitor's power cable. :) The iMac is all-in-one, so the one AC cord is literally the only wire. Apple also put a hole in the stand so that if you route the wire, it's impossible to see any cords unless you literally look behind the machine.

Currently my pc isn't showing ANY LEDs. There's a small power led on the outside of the case but its a black monolith looking case so I hooked the power up to a spare light thats behind the door, for any diagnosing reasons. There's thousands of PC cases out there.. im sure many don't have annoying lights on em. Surprisingly few, actually, and virtually none on off-the-shelf machines. ;)

My PC would if it didn't need to cool 2 sticks of memory running 1066mhz, a quad core cpu, 8800gtx video card, and a performance nvidia motherboard. It all comes down to how much power you have under the hood. I have a dell laptop that uses that first entry level duo chip from intel, it runs cool and quiet and still way faster then anything I need for a laptop. I've used Dells, both laptops and desktops and with variable-speed fans. The iMac is an order-of-magnitude quieter than them. It is difficult to tell if the machine is on in a silent room. Granted, if you build your own liquid-cooled machine it'll be quieter.

but Mac hardware is an idiot tax, because only the stupid would pay so much more for so much less. Do you call people who buy fancy-looking watches or cars idiots too? ;)

Any why is the boards auto logout feature like 60 seconds. :p I haven't had this problem.

--janak

jeffd
08-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Jan, its really hard to compare against cars cause they all have so many different feels, both in the cabin and under the hood (steering, acceleration ect). Most users couldnt tell the difference from one pc to the next.

The one cable principle... ie.. having your monitor be your pc. Great for mom and pops who don't need a beast taking up a whole desk in their house. But for as many positives as it has, it has just as many negatives. For instance, being forced to junk the system if the lcd breaks. Lack of expansions slots. Lacks a really powerful cpu. Not ideal for gamers or power users. That said, there are wireless video transmitter options available.

I cant comment on to many dell desktop, they seem fine, very average systems. Nothing special cooling wise of course, their variable cooling is all built into the mobo. As for my laptop, well I own one and I can't imagin it getting any quieter then this. Heck if I dont block the vents, the fan dosnt get above the low speed when playing 3d games.

Janak Parekh
08-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Jan, its really hard to compare against cars cause they all have so many different feels, both in the cabin and under the hood (steering, acceleration ect). Most users couldnt tell the difference from one pc to the next. That's why I also mentioned watches as an example. Also, a Mac does have a different feel than a PC (unlike the many, near-identical clones). The keyboards and mouse are designed with a different feel. The OS certainly has a different feel. The machine looks a bit different, and Macs are often iconic brands.

The one cable principle... ie.. having your monitor be your pc. Great for mom and pops who don't need a beast taking up a whole desk in their house. But for as many positives as it has, it has just as many negatives. Sure. I don't recommend it to everyone. However, as a power user, I find that it's more than adequate for me. <shrug> The one category for which I don't think it works very well are the hardcore gamer crowd.

For instance, being forced to junk the system if the lcd breaks. Lack of expansions slots. Lacks a really powerful cpu. Re the LCD breaking: like a laptop, you get an extended warranty. Re the CPU: that's not necessarily true. iMacs aren't necessarily the fastest machine, but there is a range of options, and the high-end favors comparably with other consumer options (again, not if you compare to a home-built system).

--janak

canux
08-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Jan, its really hard to compare against cars cause they all have so many different feels, both in the cabin and under the hood (steering, acceleration ect). Most users couldnt tell the difference from one pc to the next.

I would argue that when talking about under the hood of a car, most would not know the real engineering differences. People understand speed and acceleration which equates to CPU speed and amount of RAM. For most, it's about look, feel and personal preference...the same things that people evaluate when buying a computer, if price were not the primary consideration. Throw in reliablilty and resale value as well.

but Mac hardware is an idiot tax, because only the stupid would pay so much more for so much less.

I know a few people who spend gobs of money on high end components primarily for gaming...in my opinion, THAT is idiotic. But, if that's what people choose to spend their money on and their free time, so be it. It's their decision and who the hell am I to judge that. In other words, please keep any childish comments to yourself. Thanks in advance.

Is that true even running Vista? I've got an extra copy of Home Premium, so it's an intriguing option if it is, indeed, near-silent.

I also use my iMac to run SoildWorks at home on Vista Home Premium and it is still very silent. Two years ago, I build a HTPC box and spent alot on a silent power supply, fans, hard drive, etc. This is more silent than that box, even during times of CPU stressing.

The one cable principle... ie.. having your monitor be your pc. Great for mom and pops who don't need a beast taking up a whole desk in their house. But for as many positives as it has, it has just as many negatives. For instance, being forced to junk the system if the lcd breaks. Lack of expansions slots. Lacks a really powerful cpu. Not ideal for gamers or power users. That said, there are wireless video transmitter options available.

The notebook compuer that Janak stated is a good comparison. I use an antique writing desk as my home compuetr desk (I'm fortunate just to have my own space), which is barely as wide as the 24" iMac, so it fits well. Plus, I will have (in a month) 3 young kids that like to play with buttons (based on my HTPC experience), so a box on the floor doesn't work. This set-up works very well for me. It has more than enough power and I use it for pretty heavy applications (i.e. power user).

Bottom line is, there is so much choice right now when it comes to computers / smartphones. Trying to find the perfect combination is almost impossible. If you find something that really works for you, a few hundred bucks difference does not prevent you from buying it. Heck...people pay up to $3K for an OQO UMPC. I had an earlier version, but it wasn't what I really needed. But, if it's what works for someone, they will pay it in a heartbeat. To them it is money well spent. Same goes for just about any purchase.