View Full Version : Wireless AP Misery

Brad Adrian
07-27-2008, 11:11 PM
My Linksys wireless router finallly died, so I tried to replace it with the latest Linksys G router. All of my PCs can connect to the Internet, but I've lost all ability to share and I'm going friggin' NUTS.

2 laptops (wireless) WinXP
1 desktop (wireless) WinXP
1 laptop (wireless) Vista

I've gone through every network, wireless, setup and configuration five times now and can't get file or printer sharing to work (and yes, it's enabled). One PC simple can't see the others.

Of course, Linksys says it's a network problem, so they can't help.

Any advice???

Cybrid
07-28-2008, 07:19 AM
My Linksys wireless router finallly died, so I tried to replace it with the latest Linksys G router. All of my PCs can connect to the Internet, but I've lost all ability to share and I'm going friggin' NUTS.

2 laptops (wireless) WinXP
1 desktop (wireless) WinXP
1 laptop (wireless) Vista

I've gone through every network, wireless, setup and configuration five times now and can't get file or printer sharing to work (and yes, it's enabled). One PC simple can't see the others.

Of course, Linksys says it's a network problem, so they can't help.

Any advice???Ip's? Different router makes will have different ip subnets eg 192.168.1.xxx for linksys and 192.168.0.xxx for netgear etc. Your network share settings might have to be redone from scratch.

Brad Adrian
07-28-2008, 02:32 PM
...and how might I do that?

Cybrid
07-28-2008, 05:59 PM
assuming this : 192.168.1.1 is the default for Linksys brand home broadband routers. Source (compnetworking.about.com/od/routers/g/192_168_1_1_def.htm)
Then the new one will also be in the same range. The only thing different would be the PC's ip address meaning "\\Comp 1\c:\shared folder" which WAS the equivalent to "\\192.168.1.101\c:\shared folder" is now "\\192.168.1.104\c:\shared folder."

So get all the PC's up and running...
Are they all able to access the internet?
once there...

On XP start>run>cmd>enter
at the Command line prompt type ipconfig /all
On Vista start>all programs>accessories> command prompt
at the Command line prompt type ipconfig /all
Note all the IP's and corresponding PC names.

Try your shared folder shortcuts again but this time try the IP address instead of the name
in the address bar \\Comp1\c:\shared folder replace the name comp1 with the appropriate 192.168.1.xxx and press enter.

If that works then:

Delete the old shortcuts and get new one in place... HTH.

Jason Dunn
07-29-2008, 10:01 PM

Are the Windows XP machines on the same network name? As in, have you gone into the System properties and specified the same network name on all three computers? Vista will find other computers regardless of the network name, but XP isn't so smart.

Brad Adrian
07-31-2008, 01:42 AM
Are the Windows XP machines on the same network name? As in, have you gone into the System properties and specified the same network name on all three computers? Vista will find other computers regardless of the network name, but XP isn't so smart.
Yeah, they were all using the same workgroup name, but I finally got everything fixed. I downloaded HomeNet Manager, which does an EXCELLENT job of sniffing out all kinds of settings on PCs on the same network.

So, after only 8 hours of work, I've got my network working exactly as it was before I plugged in a new wireless router. Go figure.

Thanks, all!