View Full Version : Microsoft: Forget iPhone, We Are Still #2 In Business

Ed Hansberry
07-23-2008, 11:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9110378&intsrc=hm_list' target='_blank'>http://www.computerworld.com/action...&intsrc=hm_list</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>"Companies -- lots of them -- are still buying Windows Mobile smart phones, and Microsoft Corp. doesn't want to let iPhone mania make them forget. During Microsoft's most recent fiscal year, 325 enterprises purchased at least 500 Windows Mobile phones, with many buying many more, said Scott Rockfeld, group products manager for the mobile communications business at Microsoft, in a Friday interview. "</em><br /><br />With all of the hype surrounding the iPhone 2.0 launch recently, which includes some capabilities to synchronize against some of your Exchange data directly with the server, Microsoft doesn't want IT pros to lose sight of the fact that Windows Mobile is still very big in business, although still behind RIM's popular Blackberry platform. Even at that, there are a lot of companies with RIM's BES server that use Windows Mobile devices, and over 100 are decommissioning their BES server. The article also mentioned one company buying 10,000 Windows Mobile devices but wouldn't give the name of the company, speculating only that it might be Wal-Mart, the world's largest private employer.<br /></p>

Duncan
07-23-2008, 01:13 PM
It occurs to me that the iPhone's sales tend to seem so impressive largely because there is only one model available. A company like HTC, or Nokia, or Sony Ericsson, will release a whole portfolio of devices with different strengths and weaknesses and greatly outsell the iPhone. If Apple did the same, release several devices at once (e.g. not stopped the first gen iPhone and released an iPhone Nano and iPhone Shuffle with the 3G), then their sales figures would also be split amongst several models and wouldn't give the false impression that the iPhone sales figures have given.

Obviously this gets writ large when OS's on mobiles are compared - with Nokia's Symbian and Windows Mobile far outstripping the iPhone OS. I can see the appeal of the iPhone, but I couldn't live with its limitations myself.

efjay
07-23-2008, 01:46 PM
Wish they would back up these fancy press releases with some tangible improvements to WM. Where is PIE 6?

stevew
07-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Microsoft Corp. doesn't want to let iPhone mania make them forget

Geez then do something to entice our interest again. :rolleyes:

unxmully
07-23-2008, 02:39 PM
It occurs to me that the iPhone's sales tend to seem so impressive largely because there is only one model available.

I would have thought that by any measure, selling a million phones in three days is quite impressive.

From the article, the WM corporate phone sales they are making a big thing about seems to be somewhere north of 162,500 which is somewhat less than a million.

subzerohf
07-23-2008, 02:49 PM
My take is, if Microsoft is so confident about their product, they would not have to make such a statement at all. Did Nokia or RIM make a fuss about how they out sell the iPhone?

mhynek
07-23-2008, 03:00 PM
I am not an Apple Fanboy.

Ok, that aside, I believe the number of people that have bought an iPhone is extremely significant. While there may be some companies that have purchased large quantities of iPhones for their staff, I believe that the majority of the phones have been bought by individuals. Smartphones (including PPC phones) have been, for the most part, targeted for business use rather than personal. As a result, advertising to the public has been no more exciting than a soap commercial. Most of the general public I run into have WinMo devices because of work. However, all of the people I know that have iPhones, bought them by choice. So, to me, this means that the majority of the iPhones sold were bought for want rather than need. Whereas WinMo devices tend to be purchased for the opposite reasons. That is why I think the sales numbers are significant...want vs need. There will always be fans of one platform or another (I am a HUGE fan of WinMo) but there is no denying that the sheer number of iPhones sold in such a short period of time is truly impressive. I think if WinMo wants the public back, they will have to re-work the OS to be more "finger friendly", while maintaining all of the current capabilities, and implementing hardware that would more than satisfy the needs of the "power users". We need to be excited again! What Apple has now is what we had back in 2000 when Windows became "handheld" for the first time. I also believe that Dale Coffing had the right word to describe the single most defining factor that drives people to CHOOSE one product and stay with it for years....Passion. That's what iPhone users have now and WinMo users need rekindled. Please take all of this for what it is...just my humble opinion.

eugarps
07-23-2008, 03:52 PM
All,

My recent experience may serve to illustrate why (For the USA based International traveler.), iPhone may not be ready for prime time.

I took my iPhone along on a week-long trip to Ecuador. I left on 7/11, so I wasn't able to download the v. 2.0 software to my last generation iPhone. Thus, I also carried my HP iPAQ 6945 with me and put the SIM in it for most of the trip. I was concerned by the huge data bills some were racking up, because of data roaming and its polling function. The iPAQ was much easier to use due to its ability to have the WiFi turned on while the GSM/GPRS radio is off. The iPhone allows you to turn of data roaming too but its still worrisome.

Anyway, I've determined that I'll wait for the Sony Xperia X1 to hit the market, before I jump to but the new iPhone. Personally, I like the iPhone but it's like back when I had a Compaq Aero handheld and found myself envious of folks with Palms. Palm had more software and peripherals available then compared to the early WM devices. Anyone remember when you had to shop for your software based on the processor in your device?

One finger typing is too slow and composing a large email on the tiny iPAQ 6945 screen is a pain. So I carried yet a third device: My Palm TX and its folding keyboard. I think the Xperia X1 could be usable for my travel. Thus, for me, the wait-a-thon continues....

after_forever
07-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Apple will not make it into the large company I work for. Here is a response from our IT dept:
-------------------
The release of Apple’s latest version of their iPhone (PDA) has generated a lot of interest and questions around its readiness for primetime connection to any corporate enterprise network and service.

They (iphone) are not ready to meet the minimum requirements necessary for risk mitigation and compliance with (company name) network security policy.

The iPhone 3G”s use of Microsoft’s ActiveSync capability is not secure enough potentially allowing risk from a compromised mobile device (PDA) where as the Blackberry and Goodlink solutions eliminate this risk outright.

Because of the increased risk associated with Microsoft’s ActiveSync, (company name) will be continuing to limit the options to Blackberry or Goodlink for mobile device (PDA) use.
--------------------

Does that make since that ActiveSync is a security risk?

unxmully
07-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Does that make since that ActiveSync is a security risk?

Only if it consistently manages to get data onto your phone :)

Duncan
07-23-2008, 05:45 PM
I would have thought that by any measure, selling a million phones in three days is quite impressive.

From the article, the WM corporate phone sales they are making a big thing about seems to be somewhere north of 162,500 which is somewhat less than a million.

Apple want you to think so - but they achieved that by hyping the new iPhone up, building up available product, and then launching worldwide pretty much exclusively targeting the consumer customer. It's a bit of a trick, albeit a pretty clever trick.

The truth is that Nokia, HTC, Samsung and even the failing Motorola have all easily outsold the iPhone - they just did it on a rolling basis and with smaller runs of multiple models aimed at different segments of the market.

Rocco Augusto
07-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Did Nokia or RIM make a fuss about how they out sell the iPhone?

I was just reading an article the other day where one of the higher ups from RIM made a few statements like this. I wish I could find the link. They pretty much stated that the iPhone pushes sales to their devices because a lot of users find out the iPhone isn't for them and then decide to purchase another smartphone type device. It was pretty interesting. I'll keep looking for a link :)

Duncan
07-23-2008, 06:32 PM
I was just reading an article the other day where one of the higher ups from RIM made a few statements like this. I wish I could find the link. They pretty much stated that the iPhone pushes sales to their devices because a lot of users find out the iPhone isn't for them and then decide to purchase another smartphone type device. It was pretty interesting. I'll keep looking for a link :)

One of our local stores has had a fair few people coming in to buy Touch Diamonds, Nokia N95s and Blackberrys having returned their iPhones.

I'd love to know how many of those one million iPhones were returned.

Rocco Augusto
07-23-2008, 08:21 PM
One of our local stores has had a fair few people coming in to buy Touch Diamonds

Which local store is this and how can I get to it? I desperately want a Touch Diamond. In fact I want one so bad that when I heard that the Touch diamond with the smooth back (Victor?) was just approved by the FCC for a CDMA carrier I started contemplating going CDMA even though all know how much I dislike the technology. :D

I'm hoping that before the CDMA version comes out some online retailers will start selling the MDA Compact IV or any of the other GSM versions soon. I could just buy a regular Touch Diamond but that diamond cut back would just drive me insane.

Duncan
07-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Which local store is this and how can I get to it? I desperately want a Touch Diamond. In fact I want one so bad that when I heard that the Touch diamond with the smooth back (Victor?) was just approved by the FCC for a CDMA carrier I started contemplating going CDMA even though all know how much I dislike the technology. :D

Sorry Rocco - I'm afraid I'm in England.

I'm hoping that before the CDMA version comes out some online retailers will start selling the MDA Compact IV or any of the other GSM versions soon. I could just buy a regular Touch Diamond but that diamond cut back would just drive me insane.

If you get the GSM version you could always apply the fix at xda-developers.com and make it quad-band for any international journeys. CDMA won't get you too far abroad.

The Diamond's back is surprisingly un-irritating and steady.

I do like the Diamond (I got to play with one a while back and fell in love with it). I have to say though - and after only five minutes of playtime - the Touch Pro is even better. Yes it is thicker and heavier, but it is also noticeably faster, has some software quirks that improve on the Diamond and a wonderful keyboard. Plus Micro SDHC expansion (and a VGA out cable in the box apparently) for 16GB memory.

caywen
07-24-2008, 12:21 AM
Microsoft needs to start leaking some official WinMo7 info, like, last week. They need to allow companies like HTC to spend less time working around MS's crappy, slow UI and more time making the hardware cheaper and better.

And developers need to spend less time working around the crappy, slow UI, too. GDI is complete crap. CF.NET's graphics is a cheap toy compared to Quartz. The only way to match the iPhone's UI in WinMo is to grab the frame buffer and rasterize yourself.

And users shouldn't have to wait 3 seconds for a simple settings dialog to come up. Not on a 200mhz processor and 64MB memory.

Users in Japan shouldn't have their PocketIE address bar input Japanese by default - URL's are in ASCII. Who thought of that? Fire that PM now.

Just the tip of the iceberg. Microsoft is no longer able to execute in a competitive way against Apple in any space. I'm very bearish on them, and I make my living writing for Windows and WinMo.

Sucks to be me. Guess I will buy a mac and iphone soon.

Rocco Augusto
07-24-2008, 02:33 AM
Sorry Rocco - I'm afraid I'm in England.

Darn, I was hoping this wasn't the case :rolleyes:

Just the tip of the iceberg. Microsoft is no longer able to execute in a competitive way against Apple in any space. I'm very bearish on them, and I make my living writing for Windows and WinMo.

Just because Apple made something pretty doesn't mean that Microsoft can't compete. If anything Apple is the company that is trying to compete and trying to play catch up to Microsoft and the rest of the smartphone makers, hence the app store and the exchange support. ;)

QYV
07-24-2008, 05:31 AM
Windows Mobile is still very big in business, although still behind RIM's popular Blackberry platform.

This is actually only true in the US. Worldwide, Windows Mobile is outselling the Blackberry.

Source: http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/library/Andy_Lees_Partner_Letter.pdf

servoisgod
07-24-2008, 06:12 PM
I have to agree with QYV. I was going overseas (London specifically) for the last company that I worked for and everyone had nothing but hatred for blackberry. They were all over Windows Mobile and Nokia devices.

I told them that the company that was buying us out were 100% blackberry and everyone in the office was sorely upset.

Personally I can't stand RIM devices. I think they may fit in well with companies that need email integration with mail servers like Lotus Notes and stuff, but with an Exchange environment there is no reason to throw money at RIM for something that you already have.

Some people will say that RIM is far superior because of its security features. I will come back with, yes...at one time that was true. :)

Later,
Aaron

Paragon
07-25-2008, 12:02 AM
The iPhone 3G”s use of Microsoft’s ActiveSync capability is not secure enough potentially allowing risk from a compromised mobile device (PDA) where as the Blackberry and Goodlink solutions eliminate this risk outright.

Because of the increased risk associated with Microsoft’s ActiveSync, (company name) will be continuing to limit the options to Blackberry or Goodlink for mobile device (PDA) use.

LOL....To stay ahead of the competition all MS does is sell them their inferior products. Wow!!! What an incredible marketing scheme. ;)

Dave

Rocco Augusto
07-25-2008, 12:09 AM
Some people will say that RIM is far superior because of its security features. I will come back with, yes...at one time that was true. :)

I hear the same thing all the time Aaron, especially when I worked for Cingualr/AT&T. My favorite encounter was from one of my good friends that has been pro BlackBerry since the days of black and white screens. During our discussion with his Technical Director, who was in charge in purchasing new phones for everyone, he swore up and down that RIM products were the way to go and if they bought Microsoft Smartphone's for everyone there would be nothing but problems and BSOD's. His whole argument was based of FUD and hearsay from a 'friend of a friend who knew a guy'.

10 Minutes after our heated discussion, RIMs servers went down knocking out email to everyone in the US who used BlackBerry's and several people in his company lost huge contracts because they weren't getting their email and had no idea some of their clients wanted them to place bids on contracts.

After they found out that this was all RIMs fault the TD decided to switch everyone over to Windows Mobile. Not only are they saving a ton of money on their data packages every month now, they all get their email unless their servers go down which is a lot better then not getting mail because RIMs servers went down. :D

Rocco Augusto
07-25-2008, 12:17 AM
If you get the GSM version you could always apply the fix at xda-developers.com and make it quad-band for any international journeys. CDMA won't get you too far abroad.

I saw this the other day and that is what made me super excited to get the Touch Diamond... though I'm still not sure if I want to move from 3G speeds to EDGE speeds... but its so sleek looking!

The Diamond's back is surprisingly un-irritating and steady.

Thats good to know, it looks so irritating in pictures but as with all HTC devices I take it this one looks better in person then in images?

I do like the Diamond (I got to play with one a while back and fell in love with it). I have to say though - and after only five minutes of playtime - the Touch Pro is even better. Yes it is thicker and heavier, but it is also noticeably faster, has some software quirks that improve on the Diamond and a wonderful keyboard. Plus Micro SDHC expansion (and a VGA out cable in the box apparently) for 16GB memory.

I would get the pro but one of the main things drawing me towards the Touch Diamond is the small footprint it has. I hate carrying cases with a passion and only use them when I really need to. I would love to just be able to throw it in my pocket and go with out looking like I was smuggling a small paperback book :)

Duncan
07-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Thats good to know, it looks so irritating in pictures but as with all HTC devices I take it this one looks better in person then in images?

I'd say so yes. I wouldn't want to 'type' on it while flat on a desk, but it rests nicely and the facets on the back hold it steady enough.

I would get the pro but one of the main things drawing me towards the Touch Diamond is the small footprint it has. I hate carrying cases with a passion and only use them when I really need to. I would love to just be able to throw it in my pocket and go with out looking like I was smuggling a small paperback book :)

I look at it this way - though thicker, the Touch Pro is still narrower and thinner (though about a centimetre taller) than a standard pack of playing cards. I wouldn't think twice about carrying one of those about in my trouser pocket. My card wallet is about the same size and I do carry that around every day.

http://sizeasy.com/page/size_comparison/15376-HTC-Touch-Pro-vs-HTC-Touch-Diamond-vs-Pack-Of-Playing-Cards

My current phone is both thicker and taller than the Touch Pro and I carry that in my pocket without a problem too.

http://sizeasy.com/page/size_comparison/15378-Sony-Ericsson-K600i-vs-HTC-Touch-Pro-vs-HTC-Touch-Diamond

With a screen protector in place, I reckon both the Touch Diamond and Touch Pro will easily be safe in a pocket without a case.