View Full Version : Need some advice

geordieboy
07-09-2008, 12:15 PM
HI, this is my first post in the forums having just registered so firstly, hi to everybody and secondly I need some advice please.

I'm looking to buy a PPC phone. I've used Ipaq PDAs in the past ad currently have a Palm Treo 500. What I'm looking for is a touchscreen device with Windows Mobile (version 6). Now here's where it starts to get complicated.....

I use Pocket Informant on the Treo to handle calendar, tasks, etc which I'll use on the PPC but to make quick calls want the phone to have a quick, easy and fun UI. I was looking at a review of the Toshiba 810 yesterday which seemed to answer the questions. Fantastic UI to get to information quickly but with Windows Mobile sitting behind it for when I need to get some work done !

The only other factor is whether to have a slideout keyboard eg HTC TyTN II.

So, the advice I need:

1) Is a keyboard important ?I text about 20-25 times a day + 10-15 emails. Is this achievable with the letter recogniser or would you folks recommend a keyboard ?
2) Are there other alternatives that have the fantastic UI of the Toshiba + WinMob underneath ? I was considering a Glofiish x500+ but not sure about the UI issue.....
3) Is WinMob on a PPC phone have all the features I'm used to from my Ipaq PDA days (Ipaq 2215) ?
4) I must have Wi Fi

That's it :). Thanks for reading this far and any advice is much appreciated.

Cybrid
07-10-2008, 04:31 AM
HI, this is my first post in the forums having just registered so firstly, hi to everybody and secondly I need some advice please.

I'm looking to buy a PPC phone. I've used Ipaq PDAs in the past ad currently have a Palm Treo 500. What I'm looking for is a touchscreen device with Windows Mobile (version 6). Now here's where it starts to get complicated.....

I use Pocket Informant on the Treo to handle calendar, tasks, etc which I'll use on the PPC but to make quick calls want the phone to have a quick, easy and fun UI. I was looking at a review of the Toshiba 810 yesterday which seemed to answer the questions. Fantastic UI to get to information quickly but with Windows Mobile sitting behind it for when I need to get some work done !

The only other factor is whether to have a slideout keyboard eg HTC TyTN II.

So, the advice I need:

1) Is a keyboard important ?I text about 20-25 times a day + 10-15 emails. Is this achievable with the letter recogniser or would you folks recommend a keyboard ?
2) Are there other alternatives that have the fantastic UI of the Toshiba + WinMob underneath ? I was considering a Glofiish x500+ but not sure about the UI issue.....
3) Is WinMob on a PPC phone have all the features I'm used to from my Ipaq PDA days (Ipaq 2215) ?
4) I must have Wi Fi

That's it :). Thanks for reading this far and any advice is much appreciated.

1) Yes. I surf almost exclusively from my PPC's and while I did buy a HTC Apache with a keyboard. I found I did not use it. It takes considerable practice and a rugged screen protector but I "write" faster than most two finger typists.
2)The 2nd generation HTC Touchflo looks very promising on the Diamond and Raphael
3)And some improvements.
4) Diamond is WiFi capable? I seem to remember that but a search would confirm it.

geordieboy
07-14-2008, 09:56 AM
1) Yes. I surf almost exclusively from my PPC's and while I did buy a HTC Apache with a keyboard. I found I did not use it. It takes considerable practice and a rugged screen protector but I "write" faster than most two finger typists.
2)The 2nd generation HTC Touchflo looks very promising on the Diamond and Raphael
3)And some improvements.
4) Diamond is WiFi capable? I seem to remember that but a search would confirm it.

Thanks for the information. I've gone for a Touch Diamond, due to be delivered on Wednesday.

Carty
09-06-2008, 06:03 AM
Diamond is definitely an excellent device.

Regards,
Carty..