View Full Version : YouMail: Visual Voicemail And Smartphone Friendly

Jon Westfall
06-16-2008, 04:20 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.youmail.com' target='_blank'>http://www.youmail.com</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>&quot;YouMail (www.youmail.com), the only&nbsp;generally available, free, customizable cell phone voicemail service,&nbsp;today announced the public beta of visual voicemail for smartphone&nbsp;users. The new mobile platform allows users to access YouMail from&nbsp;their smartphone home screen, enabling them to listen to voicemail&nbsp;messages, or forward messages on to other people, or reply via SMS&nbsp;without ever having to dial into their voicemail service. &quot;</em></p><br /><p>Our tireless news editor, Darius, assigned this to me over a week ago, and I held off posting on it until I had a chance to look at the service myself. After&nbsp;a week or so, I'm happy with YouMail's visual voicemail offering (it's certainly priced better than competitor Callwave), but have yet to find exactly how to get it on my smartphone's home screen. I believe their beta was a bit overwhelming to them, so they may be holding off on posting the client or instructions until things have settled down. Still, the service they have now is acceptable - voicemails sent to my email as text, quite nice.</p>

David Tucker
06-16-2008, 02:59 PM
I like it. I would like to be able to have the voicemails show up on my Wing too but this works very well. I bookmarked the mobile site on my phone which will make it easy.

Better features than the voicemail service that T-Mo provides!

eagle63
06-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Darn, so I was hoping to give this a try but after getting a few steps into the activation process, it opens a page saying, "Ahh, you are using Sprint." And then shows the following:

"As a Sprint customer, you should be aware of the following:

* Sprint charges 20c/minute to forward all calls, including those to YouMail.
* Sprint does not allow its customers to forward their own unanswered calls, so instead you must contact Sprint customer service to enable this feature and forward your unanswered calls to YouMail.

We understand this is less than ideal."

Lame. Dumb Sprint.

TACKiller
06-19-2008, 01:06 AM
Signed up and it works like a champ with AT&T and my Tilt. it took very little time and I like having the choice to call or have it transcribed to text if I need to. The transcibing is still beta and does not always seem to work right but they are heading in the right direction with this tool. Great find, thanks for posting this article.

David Tucker
06-19-2008, 08:12 PM
After using this for a few days I am very pleased.

Phillip Dyson
07-03-2008, 09:00 PM
I've been using this for about a week. And I like it a lot. Of course once I set it up my call traffic dropped. Irony has struck again. I figure this really becomes handy when you have multiple emails to sort through.

Of course I'm curious how this company plans to make money. Added features?
Ads?