View Full Version : Best smartphone available today

odin
06-03-2008, 02:56 PM
I posted this in the hardware forum several days ago, but maybe I wasn't clear enough to warrant a response. In your opinion, what is the best smartphone available today and does it match or beat HP's 6945 Mobile Messenger in specs?

For the most part, I've been pretty happy with my HP iPaq hw6945 (aside from the typical need to occasionally reset it). Now the power interface on the bottom broke off, and I'm thinking it may be time for an upgrade. The only problem is I can't seem to find an appropriate one. I don't want to get a device that is lacking any of the features the 6945 has, namely:

color tft touch screen
qwerty keypad
wi-fi
gps
bluetooth
camera
ms mobile office apps
ms reader
pdf reader
mp3 and video player
mini sd card slot
416MHz processor
128 MB ROM
64 MB RAM

Ideally, the next device would contain at least this much and preferably more. I was very interested in the iPhone, but it just doesn't have what I'm looking for. Does anyone know of a smartphone that would fit the bill? I'd rather upgrade to a new phone than have this one repaired.

Thanks.

Kevin

haveblue128
06-05-2008, 06:45 AM
Kevin-your posting was dead on target regarding the Lexus-Porsche of smartphones. Sadly, there are always opposing interests within each firm fighting for nding. As a result, smartphone by Committee is the like result. Put another way, each phone will have a few features you love, a couple you despise and the remainder will go unused. This is true even with the PC market too-the majority of manufacturers believe they need to "dumb down" systems to broaden appeal. Their goal is to create the perfect smartphone for George Bush-an impossibility. The result is less functionality and more toys-eyecandy. Elephants were designed by Committee and it shows. Let's hope the makers of smartphone hear the word "smart" before they begin to design.

Cool fact-The smartphones we own today are far more powerful that the command computer that guided each Apollo capsule to the moon and back. NASA had only 27K per capsule. Amazing!

schmenge
06-05-2008, 11:18 AM
I posted this in the hardware forum several days ago, but maybe I wasn't clear enough to warrant a response. In your opinion, what is the best smartphone available today and does it match or beat HP's 6945 Mobile Messenger in specs?

For the most part, I've been pretty happy with my HP iPaq hw6945 (aside from the typical need to occasionally reset it). Now the power interface on the bottom broke off, and I'm thinking it may be time for an upgrade. The only problem is I can't seem to find an appropriate one. I don't want to get a device that is lacking any of the features the 6945 has, namely:

Kevin

A Tilt is pretty close to those specs

odin
06-11-2008, 12:07 PM
pocketpcthoughts posted this yesterday:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/news/show/89498/hp-shipping-ipaq-900-series-business-messenger.html

It figures this would be announced a day after the new iPhone is announced. It looks good, but you would think they could have given the processor a boost as well. I assume the main reason they didn't go with a more powerful one is cost and battery life. There's no mention of infrared, which is fine because I never used it and it wasn't powerful enough to double as a universal remote, anyway.

I just wonder how much they're going to charge for it now.