View Full Version : Touch FLO minor issues

randalllewis
05-28-2008, 10:04 PM
My new Cruise has finally arrived and the TILT has already gone into the drawer. This is a great phone packed with features and Touch FLO is....nearly...everything I hoped it would be.

I've discovered three disappointments/annoyances in the interface. I suspect at least some of these can be tweaked and I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

1. The really cool Camera Gallery photo viewer does not display pics stored on the micro SD memory card. The music player that is also part of the Touch FLO interface works with files stored on the card, but not the photo viewer. This significantly reduces the value of the program in my opinion.

UPDATE: The Camera Gallery program WILL display pics on a storage card, but it depends on where you put them. If you save a photo taken by the camera on a memory card it will create a folder called 100Media inside a folder called DCIM. You can then transfer your own photos from other cameras to that folder, they will show up in Camera Gallery.

2. Programs on the launcher face of the Touch FLO Cube cannot be changed. And it gets worse. The e-mail icon launches Outlook Express. The phone comes with both OE and Windows Live and you can switch to WL after OE starts, but you can't make the launcher launch WL. And what's more annoying about this is that you can chose which program opens if you launch from the Start Menu or the Messaging tab on the Today Screen.

3. Touch FLO improves the contact list by adding a vertical finger scroll feature but only if you open contacts from the Today Screen softkey or the Start Menu. If you open contacts while addressing an e-mail or text message, you only get the more clunky WM standard alphabetical tabs on the top of the contacts page.

These are minor issues and overall Touch FLO is a major improvement over the WM user interface. I hope these issues can be addressed either through registry tweaks or other means or future updates to the program.

aarcam
06-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Just picked up the NA Touch Dual and am learning about Touch FLO as well. I have a little info on what you have posted.

1. You are right about the file structure. You can put images that you did not take with a camera in there as well (.jpg and some others) so that you can use the Touch FLO picture interface, unfortunately there is no way to sort the images, so you could end up with a lot of images rather quickly

2. I have yet to try this, but did find this in regards to which email account opens. I do not use WL or OE (I have a pop3 account that I will be changing it to), but hopefully something similar might work for you.

By default the Cube's Email icon points to the Outlook email account. To use a different email account, edit the following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\Biotouch\APLauncher\App0]
"Param"="-service \"EMAIL_SERVICE_NAME_HERE\""

You may want to do some research if this does in deed work on the Cruise, I found it in a Touch DUAL forum, but thought the FLO interface would be the same.

3. As for your contacts when addressing in a text or email, I do not get the tabs. I just start typing on the keyboard (either the software or hardware version) to narrow the contacts down. Do you have the 6.1 OS? Maybe that is the difference.

I do like the Touch FLO just wish it was a little more customizable. Having the ability to change which apps launched would make it much more functional IMHO. Not everyone uses a device the same way.