View Full Version : Can you transferr "Task" files from Axim X30 to HPiPAQ 211?

GRBrian
05-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Not a good day - I'm 4 days away from the office with much notes (in the form of Tasks) and the data connection on my Axim has broke. So, I need to figure out how to get, primarily, the Tasks from the "old" Windows OS to the new Windows 6.0. I was able to run the Axim back-up utility and save the backup file to a memory card.

Does anyone know, can I simply insert the memory card into my new HP (which is in the mail and has not arrived) and restore the backed up files??

Any other ideas info would be appreciated (I've not found much on this topic on the www).

Thanks!!

Reid Kistler
05-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Which "data connection" has broken on your Axim?

ie: Have you experienced a hardware failure (the connector pins on the bottom) and / or a Software failure (Axim shows connection, but fails to sync) - ?

Depending upon the extent of the damage, if you are Patient - and have the appropriate tools - it is POSSIBLE to "re-bend" the pins and re-establish sync and / or power. But it is a painstaking process, requires careful insertion of the connecting cable / cradle - AND typically only seems to work for one or two tries.

Have been without pins (effectively, if not Literally: MOST of them still Exist...), for a year or longer now, but have got along fine by having a Spare Battery (one charges in cradle while other runs Axim) and Syncing via either WiFi or IR. (My notebook has an IR port; added a USB IR Adapter to my desktop. The latter is connected via a 3 foot cable which is convenient, although it does eat one of the 3 front panel USB ports....)

Assuming it is the PINS which have broken: do you have a laptop with you? Sync to it - presumably to Outlook - then to new HP.
Can you borrow a laptop / desktop?
What application do you use for Tasks?

OTOH, would not be at all surprised to find out that you can simply import the tasks from your SD card - and would be greatly surprised if you could NOT if you are running Pocket Informant, Agenda or some other PDA PIM....

Or: send tasks directly from Axim to new HP using Bluetooth or IR connection.

Pocket Informant will let you save Tasks as Notes, which might then be easier to "see" & manipulate.

Doubtless a number of other options as well - hope you are able to find one that works without too much fussing around(!).

rk / se mi

GRBrian
05-08-2008, 07:09 PM
thanks for the ideas RK - It is indeed bent connectors. I'll try to straighten them out to make one last sync with my lap top back at the office tonight.

I'm assuming I cannot "restore" a backup of my Axim system on a new OS that is on the Ipaq. I plan to try as I have nothing to lose, and I'll let you know the outcome.

I'm not running any of the third party suites other then mabtasks (which happens to meet my needs fine without overextending my Axim's limites 32 mb - will be GREAT to have 128 mb).

Brian