View Full Version : Travelling to Egypt/Turkey/Greece, what about all these electronics?

Joel Crane
04-24-2008, 02:47 AM
I'll be traveling to Egypt and Turkey here in a few weeks, my first time off the continent.

Gateway Laptop (DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive add-on, power adapter, 2 batteries)
Dell Axim x51v (Power Adapter, USB Cradle)
Casio Exilm (Memory Cards, Charger, USB cable)
Nomad Muvo 1GB Mp3 player (AAA Batteries)
Nokia 6300 (USB Cable, Charger)
Motorola Bluetooth Headset

Some of my stuff is dated but it sure works well. Of course, NOTHING charges on USB. I haven't done any research on power yet, I need to get on the ball and get this stuff figured out. What will I need to buy?

Will I be able to find free WiFi to use over there?

Can I take my cell phone and send/receive text messages, or should I leave it home? I'm thinkin' that I might use SkypeOut if the WiFi pans out.

Cybrid
04-30-2008, 05:49 AM
I'll be traveling to Egypt and Turkey here in a few weeks, my first time off the continent.
Consider travelling very light. :( A young person with a device worth two-three years of the average local persons wages is possibly asking for more attention than you'd like.

For WiFi, I'd say outside of major metropolitan areas, it is unlikely to be "widely available". Third World countries like Egypt seriously lack the infrastructure.

ionen
05-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Regarding the phone thing - I'd recommend buying a prepaid SIM
Also buy a travel charger with universal plug adapter, that's a must!

For the connectivity, check with the hotel you've booked if they provide access to the Internet and see their prices first - regularly this service comes included in the package

Have a great trip!

Joel Crane
05-11-2008, 02:17 AM
Most of the stuff will stay with my luggage, I'll probably keep my camera on me, but that's about it.

What about airplane power? Are they special plugs or are they just standard 12v cigarette lighter plugs?

Do I need to buy an adapter for my laptop or can I just take my little power inverter?

ionen
05-11-2008, 08:16 AM
What airline company will you be using?

I'm asking this because some of them use special power ports, others standard AC etc.