View Full Version : a program to fill out forms?

nameIess
04-17-2008, 12:04 AM
hello everyone,

i'll be doing some field work in the coming month, and i was wondering if there is a program that i can install on my Jornada 545 so i can input the data and then export them directly to excel.

is there such a program?

txa1265
04-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Depending on what sort of data you are collecting, why not just input it into Pocket Excel?

nameIess
04-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Depending on what sort of data you are collecting, why not just input it into Pocket Excel?

That was the original plan, but then after looking at the screen... i thought maybe its better to have something with a screen different than excel ...

Sven Johannsen
04-18-2008, 01:43 AM
You could look at HanDBase. It is really a database application and has both a mobile and desktop version which can sync. I would bet that the desktop version has an Excel, or at the very least a delimited txt output feature (.csv) that Excel can read.

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/handbase.html

P.S. digging around in their support stuff, there aree instructions on outputting CSV files.

Reid Kistler
04-22-2008, 01:20 AM
How complex do your data entry forms need to be (how much data & of what type)?

Looked at HanDBase back in the VISOR days & it looked good - but was already using another database app & did not see enough reason to change.

Depending upon your data, you could also look at ListPro: syncs nicely from PPC to Desktop (Windows) version, which can make data viewing / manipulation easier, and you can export as tab-delimited or .csv, with options to Include/Exclude/ Reorder Columns (Fields), as well use the first export row for Column Names...

You can also view & edit entries in either List or Record mode: like Excel, List mode works Ok if you only have a few fields (Columns...), whereas Record mode allows you to see "all" of one record on one screen, which I often find handy.

ListPro has a nice feature list, including drop down lists / auto fill, and calculated fields - it CAN be much more powerful than a simple "list app."

Am certain you can get a trial of ListPro; am also certain that there are other good - and perhaps Better - options available: this just happens to be one loaded on my Axim....

Good Luck!

rk / se mi

Brad Adrian
04-23-2008, 03:59 AM
If you're looking for something that will allow you to enter data into customized, powerful forms, take a look at Dooblo's Surveys2Go.

You design the forms on the PC and export them to the PPC for input. The most capabilities I've seen, for things like drop-down lists, multiple-choice, free text, signature capture, and much, much more.