View Full Version : US Airlines To Maintain Cell Phone Ban - Friendly Skies Remain Friendly For Now

Ed Hansberry
04-10-2008, 02:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/air_space/4258063.html?series=36' target='_blank'>http://www.popularmechanics.com/sci....html?series=36</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>&quot;Even with European carriers implementing new in-flight cellphone laws, the FAA and FCC tell Popular Mechanics that they remain uninterested in letting you take your iPhone to American skies. Sooner or later, PM's airline correspondent finds, they might just have to give in to demand - and that chatterbox sitting next to you.&quot;</em></p><br /><p>You think road rage is bad, wait until an incident of air rage pops up from someone in a not so great mood looses his/her cool when some self-important guy blathers on the phone in his loud boisterous voice about nothing for 3 hours. Flying is stressful and uncomfortable enough without having to endure someone yelling into the phone because they are having a hard time hearing who is on the other end, despite the fact the person on the other end is probably holding the phone about 6 inches from their ear because of the yelling.</p>

tendomentis
04-10-2008, 04:54 PM
You know, I actually tried to let my smartphone connect in the air between Boston and Baltimore, and I couldn't actually get a signal (maybe too high?). I wanted to see if it was even possible, and it didn't work (at least for my q9h on the Logan-BWI corridor at 32k feet).

Ed Hansberry
04-10-2008, 05:10 PM
You know, I actually tried to let my smartphone connect in the air between Boston and Baltimore, and I couldn't actually get a signal (maybe too high?). I wanted to see if it was even possible, and it didn't work (at least for my q9h on the Logan-BWI corridor at 32k feet).
It would require carriers to add hardware to their planes. They would have a sort of mobile cell tower in the tail of the aircraft that would be able to communicate with ground networks.

virain
04-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Thank you FCC! This decision may just prevented dramatic growth in numbers of on board suicides and vigilant crimes against non stop yapping passengers

ucfgrad93
04-11-2008, 05:36 AM
Man, I hope and pray the FCC never lets cell phones to be used during the flight.