View Full Version : Shopping for P&S camera, Considering S700

Joel Crane
04-10-2008, 03:03 AM
Hey everybody, I'm shopping for a point and shoot digital camera. I'm considering the Nikon S700, mainly because Jason seemed to like it. 275 is about as much as I want to pay for a digital camera.

My biggest question about the S700 is video recording. I do lots of this:
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p200/joelacrane/Track%20Day%202-17-08/IMG_9559.jpg
...and I'd like to be able to take on-board videos. I've done it with my ancient 2.0mp camera but it eats AA's and the videos can only be 30 seconds long. This can be distracting while riding. Another problem is that it records in Quicktime .MOV. I'd like to be able to drop videos strait into Windows Movie Maker without converting them. I understand that you can fit about 15 minutes of video at 640x480 at 30fps on a 1 gig card, which is fine, because 2GB cards are like 10 bucks apeice. I wouldn't bother with SDHC cards, I don't think my other devices work with them.

What format does the S700 record in? How's battery life when recording videos?

I'm not sure that a dedicated video camera is what I need so this looks like a good option.

Reid Kistler
04-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Don't wish to step on anyone's toes, but would heartily recommend doing a bit of research to see if you can find reviews of the S700. Only one found quickly was from digitalcamerainfo.com, and reviewer seemed disappointed in video quality: "a few manual controls, and a Movie mode that is hardly worth mentioning put the Nikon S700 in a sea of similar slim digital cameras; it’s not a standout."

Video Mode is often not a high consideration in buying a Digital Camera - but it IS something you stressed as important. That is only ONE reviewer's opinion, but a quick glance through the review indicates some knowledge of cameras: still, would prefer to have at least "a second" opinion....

In the FWIW department: The S700 has a rather short Zoom range, and MOST digital (still) cameras CANNOT use what zoom they do have when in Movie Mode. (That is, they cannot Adjust the Zoom - Zoom In or Out - while in movie mode.)

It is also small, which makes it nice to carry, but could also make it hard to grip, especially if wearing gloves.

Size is going to be of some importance on a bike - but having a camera that is easy to Grip, and at least Somewhat protected from the elements also deserve some consideration. (Although we used to carry a Pentax SLR with several lenses, we also never took pictures WHILE riding!)

Additional related thoughts (imho, of course!)
1) 12 megapixels is more than you need - and also more than the camera can use: the smaller sensors used on most non-SLR cameras simply cannot resolve that high of a pixel count.

2) To keep within budget, would look at an "older" model - 8 or perhaps even 6 MP (movies are limited to 640x480 in any case!) - with a longer zoom, and a large enough body to grip & handle comfortably.

3) Image Stabilization is almost mandatory, of course - but check out available IS modes offered, AND how easy / difficult it is to change them "on the fly."

4) There are some cameras that are advertised as Dust Proof, Water Proof / Resistant, Shock Resistant - or that offer Housings which promise similar benefits. Might be worth considering for cycling / out-of-doors use.

Happy Shopping!

rkistler / se mi

PS: Current mainstay is a Canon S3 IS: 6MP, 12X Optical Zoom, Image Stabilization - with an "ultrasonic" motor that PERMITS zooming while taking movies. Also records in Stereo sound, which is sometimes rather neat. Takes excellent movies (for 640 x 480...) AND have gotten some great shots while traveling 70+ mph - from the passenger seat of a CAR: IS does work MOST of the time....

This is a Larger Format than the S700, and so might be more than you wish to carry (there are other choices in the "Advanced Super Zoom" class), but the S3 also features an articulated viewfinder which is handy, and have mounted a Lensmate Adapter which helps protect the lens & mechanism from dust & Incidental water. Both are useful, and the former was MUCH appreciated while visiting Grand Canyon & Monument Valley.....

PPS: Currently am down to a single bike: 1973 (yes, '73) Yamaha TX500 - DOHC, 4 valves/cyl - with a mounted Windjammer fairing.... Ride Safe!

Joel Crane
04-12-2008, 04:58 AM
Thanks for all the advice! I did read a few other reviews and I just couldn't seem to find much about video.

I have another friend that rides, and he has the Casio Exilim ex-Z75, which he uses for video on his bike. Radioshack had it for like $120, which seemed like a pretty decent deal so i grabbed it. I don't even take advantage of the 7mp, i run it down to 5 or even 2 sometimes.

At first I hated the UI, but I am getting used to it. Haven't taken videos with it because I haven't made up a handlebar mount. Here's a picture I took with it today:
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p200/joelacrane/Meeting%20with%20Chris%204-11-08/CIMG0029.jpg

I'm not too worried about dust and water, but vibration could be an issue. My friend hasn't had any problems with his.

I dug out my parents old Hi8 video camera, and I might start using it as a general video camera. Hey Jason, do you still maintain Analog Home Thoughts?

Reid Kistler
04-13-2008, 12:51 AM
Riding & Photography: life is good!
However, your picture makes me Extremely Jealous: it is low-40's and raining today, with SNOW called for overnight!

Sigh...

Know you would not want to lose a $120 camera, but better than risking 2 or 3 times that much. Hope it works out well for you.

Thought on Mounting: a custom mount is nice, but how about one of the small "mount anywhere" tripods?

Carry an Ultra-pod II for my S3, and when folded it is designed to be able to attach to a railing, fence post - or perhaps a handlebar - by means of an attached velcro strap.
It holds the S3 quite securely, and their smaller version might work just as well for a smaller camera, plus give the advantage of being useful as a "real" - albeit rather short (!) - tripod.

Ride Safe -

PS: Ultra-pod II is about 7 inches long when folded, and Barely will mount to the handlebars on my Yamaha. 5 or 6" length would be about right.
The S3 is too bulky - would interfere with mirror mount - but my old Canon A70 would work OK, especially with shorter mount....

Joel Crane
04-13-2008, 03:05 AM
You know the compact tripod thing occured to me too. See the red Ninja 250 that is loaded down with luggage? The owner is riding from Reno, NV to Salem, OR. We are both in the Ninja 250 Riders Club so we had lunch while he passed through, and he had one of those little tripods. It might work!

Used the camera again today, beautiful weather in the 70's, a friend of mine and myself managed to organize a ride with 30 bikes, which is unheard of in this area. Used the camera but not on the bike. I'll link to a video as soon as i get it made.

Jason Dunn
05-03-2008, 12:34 AM
Hey Jason, do you still maintain Analog Home Thoughts?

Heh. Nope, I shut that one down in 1997 due to a lack of traffic. Oh wait, I never launched it to begin with. :D