View Full Version : Hard Drive won't quit spinng, XP

Joel Crane
03-24-2008, 01:30 AM
Once again, another totally non-pocket pc related topic!

I've got a computer that shares internet with the rest of the computers on my network. It is running XP Pro, and it has a USB EDGE modem hooked up with an Ethernet connection to the WAN port on my router. It is headless, sitting next to my bed. This is the only available spot on the house.

I'd like to be able to shut that hard drive off at night. As long as I'm dialed in, it spins, and spins, and spins. As soon as i unplug that modem or disconnect, after a preset time it shuts off. I'd like to replace it with a bigger, noisier drive that i have, but first i have to figure out why it won't spin down.

Cybrid
03-24-2008, 08:57 AM
As soon as i unplug that modem or disconnect, after a preset time it shuts off. I'd like to replace it with a bigger, noisier drive that i have, but first i have to figure out why it won't spin down. I'm sorry but i think you already figured that one out. :D
The active connection is basically making the OS access files on the drive. Most OS'es also keep webpages in temporary files for easier retrieval later when re-accessing the page. Either an OS that doesn't do that...(not aware of one) or a silent PC...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtufuXLvOok

or a disconnect between 11:30pm to 7am which is when anyone within their right mind downloads stuff.