View Full Version : Apple Licenses ActiveSync From Microsoft for iPhone

Jason Dunn
03-06-2008, 07:36 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.macrumors.com/2008/03/05/live-coverage-of-iphone-sdk-roadmap-event/' target='_blank'>http://www.macrumors.com/2008/03/05...-roadmap-event/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Apple is hosting a media event today to outline the iPhone Software Development Kit (SDK) and "some exciting new enterprise features". There have been a collection of rumors suggesting that Apple may not be able to deliver the final SDK immediately. That hasn't stopped a number of companies, such as reQall (memory aid), Six Apart (blogging software), and Freeverse (sports games), from announcing their intentions to write iPhone native applications with the new SDK. Meanwhile MySpace and SlingMedia have been rumored to be early recipients of the unreleased development kit."</i><br /><br />Love it or hate it, the iPhone is rapidly shaping up to be the 800 pound Gorilla in the US smartphone market, if not from a market-share perspective quite yet, certainly from a mindshare perspective. The iPhone is on fire, and Apple's announcement about the SDK is like gasoline on that fire - the iPhone represents a new, and quite likely lucrative market for developers to tap into (right Alex?). On the Windows Mobile side of things, we still have all that slick native Exchange support, so those iPhone users can keep their slick screen rotating to themselves. Uh, right?<br /><br />Wrong. Apparently, Apple has licensed ActiveSync from Microsoft. Check it:<br /><br /><i>"Apple has licensed ActiveSync from Microsoft and will be incorporating native ActiveSync and Exchange support into the iPhone's existing apps (mail, cal, contacts)."</i><br /><br />There were some kludges involving Plaxo to push Outlook data around, but native support means the iPhone now has the most potent feature for Enterprise markets. And if it's also easy to develop for, you'll likely see line of business applications appear for it - and that's not good news for Windows Mobile, which since the iPhone launch has had the unfortunate perception of being a stagnant platform (in the eyes of some).<br /><br />Oh well - at least use Windows Mobile users can look up contacts much faster than the iPhone users can...for now.

alex_kac
03-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Pocket Informant and Note2Self for iPhone are planned and already being worked on. So yeah. The dev environment mentioned there makes me gush like a little girl.

Purchase directly on device, update apps automatically. Very cool. 70% dev revenue.

Yeah, I'm excited.

bearxor
03-06-2008, 08:19 PM
I've been an exclusive WM user for about 6 years now...

Never thought I would own an iPhone...

The only thing holding me back after this announcement is the complete lack of 3G service for AT&amp;T in my area. If the iPhone was available for Sprint and had EVDO, I would already be heading down to the store...

efjay
03-06-2008, 08:25 PM
and that's not good news for Windows Mobile, which since the iPhone launch has had the unfortunate perception of being a stagnant platform (in the eyes of some).

Actually if we are being honest WM HAS become stagnant, apart from HTC trickling down hardware features with each successive handset release how much has the actual OS changed? If MS has the will shouldnt they be able to come up with a new UI in short order? Look at the work of freeware devs - PocketCM, Pointui, various cube copycats. There is now a new gesture-based calendar app in alpha you can download. Yet where is MS's effort?

As with so many things Microsoft I think it will be too little, too late. With native Exchange connectivity corporate demand for the iphone will definitely start to outpace WM, which leaves MS with nothing since their handsets are primarily business focused. Lets not forget Google's Android platform coming this year as well. And by the time WM7 hits we could be looking at a G2 iphone with 3G, add to that 3rd party apps being freely available and what exactly would be the attraction of a WM handset?

RogueSpear
03-06-2008, 08:37 PM
History has a way of repeating itself, no?

Microsoft looks a little like Palm did three years ago.

DerekTheGeek
03-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Microsoft's stance with Windows Mobile has always been to design minimalist applications and let the independent developers fill in the space. Pocket Informant is a great example. Had Microsoft designed an awesome PIM from the start they may have never been a need for Pocket Informant.

There are still many apps to write for Windows Mobile and Blackberry. For example, I have yet to find an elegant solution to allow sending email from multiple accounts (i.e. email identities).

- DTG

alex_kac
03-06-2008, 08:55 PM
There are still many apps to write for Windows Mobile and Blackberry. For example, I have yet to find an elegant solution to allow sending email from multiple accounts (i.e. email identities).

- DTG
I would ask you how FlexMail 4 doesn't solve that issue, but this is an iphone post :)

Eitel
03-06-2008, 08:58 PM
History has a way of repeating itself, no?

Microsoft looks a little like Palm did three years ago.

You're missing an important point. Microsoft is licensing ActiveSync to Apple, which means, that for every single iPhone that has it, Microsoft is getting paid.

virain
03-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Microsoft is cooking something new, WM 7. From what I understand it should be something completely new mand it should be out sometimes next year. That might explain why MS is so relactant to make any drastic changes to WM 6. Good luck all you iPhoners, I stick with WM (waiting for SE Experia :D )

RogueSpear
03-06-2008, 09:28 PM
You're missing an important point. Microsoft is licensing ActiveSync to Apple, which means, that for every single iPhone that has it, Microsoft is getting paid.
I think you're missing part of the point as well. For every iPhone that gets sold, that's one less person using WM device. I gave up on Microsoft and went with an iPhone myself. The Exchange stuff really doesn't excite me all that much however. I would much preferred to have seen something that better tied in Google's apps, but I suppose we have Android to look forward to for that.

Stake
03-06-2008, 09:31 PM
I thought about why Microsoft would do this and I have a few ideas on this:

1) Generate and get some money out of Apple's sales of the iPhone. It's clear that they'll get chunk of it and having exposure in an Apple product (MS Exchange is listed at the top of the mail client options based on the photos) is probably still important. Microsoft is everywhere you go even in an Apple product!

2) Make Exchange the defacto standard for small and large businesses regardless of operating system. This gives more potential marketshare for those all Mac shops that don't have an Exchange server or weren't willing to put one in because they didn't need one. They may rethink that if they have iPhone users who need push email. Not to mention the Lotus Notes users! (I still don't know why Notes is around...God help Notes users!)

3) Completely hypothetical but it's possible that Microsoft may partnered with Apple to try to push RIM out from first place keeping Apple and WM on top.

The real downside for MS:

Microsoft's mobile OS market may shrink dramatically. Most users I know hold off on the iPhone because of email support in the corporate world. This will release the flood gates and increase Apple's share exponentially. Yes, as someone else pointed out, it looks like Palm=MS this time around. I know some corporate execs are watering at the mouth because now they can get one because it will be supported.

It doesn't mean the end of WM. With WM 6.1 and 7 on it's way, it still has life. It's a very open platform to develop on. WM is completely customizable and you don't need Microsoft's approval for it. It'll still be king for nerds, tinkers and Windows users, but the focus is no longer on the consumer as far as MS is concerned. To make something popular, you go for the mass market and Apple has done that.

MS needs to go for the common market too. They've concentrated too much on the enterprise (which they have locked up for years) and Apple has gained in reputation because of it.

We'll have to wait and see what MS does. Maybe this means better software for all of us.

T-Will
03-06-2008, 09:33 PM
I've actually contemplated going with the iPhone, the OS is just a really quick, slick, elegant OS compared to WinMo. This may seem funny, but the main reason holding me back is the lack of Tasks. But with Exchange support, I wonder if Tasks will be forthcoming, and over-the-air syncing with Exchange.

Alex, it's great to hear that PI is in the works for the iPhone, I hope this fills in the gaps where the built-in PIM apps are lacking.

Even though MS is making royalties from licensing Activesync, I wonder if they just shot themselves in the foot?

Janak Parekh
03-06-2008, 09:36 PM
The only thing holding me back after this announcement is the complete lack of 3G service for AT&amp;T in my area. If the iPhone was available for Sprint and had EVDO, I would already be heading down to the store...
That is unlikely to happen in the near future, seeing as how Apple signed a 5-year deal with AT&amp;T to get the revenue sharing, visual voicemail, etc.

I also find the app distribution model very interesting. Apple will maintain the app store, and will allow purchases both over iTunes and the iPhone. They'll keep 30% of costs, but will allow free apps to be distributed for free. This is going to get to be very very interesting competition for WM. :)

--janak

Janak Parekh
03-06-2008, 09:38 PM
I thought why Microsoft would do this and I have a few thoughts on this:
Excellent points, Stake. Also keep in mind that the Exchange and WM divisions in MS are separate, and have somewhat separate goals. That's why Microsoft has also licensed Exchange ActiveSync to Palm (i.e. Garnet), Symbian, etc. Hasn't there also been rumors that Bill doesn't carry a WM device himself?

Still, I'm a little surprised this happened so quickly (well, June is when the 2.0 software update will be released, presumably at WWDC).

--janak

alex_kac
03-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Microsoft is cooking something new, WM 7. From what I understand it should be something completely new mand it should be out sometimes next year. That might explain why MS is so relactant to make any drastic changes to WM 6. Good luck all you iPhoners, I stick with WM (waiting for SE Experia :D )

I do think WM7 will be great for a lot of things. But I don't see it really stunting the iPhone honestly. It'll be just enough to keep it at bay.

Dyvim
03-06-2008, 09:41 PM
They'll keep 30% of costs
For developers, how does this compare to distributing your products through a site such as Handango or Mobihand?

Eitel
03-06-2008, 09:56 PM
I think you're missing part of the point as well. For every iPhone that gets sold, that's one less person using WM device.

Not really. It could be one less person using a RIM, or a Moto phone, or any other phone that's not a WM device. And now MS will collect some money on any of those cases.

***long quote trimmed by mod JD***

Stake
03-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Excellent points, Stake. Also keep in mind that the Exchange and WM divisions in MS are separate, and have somewhat separate goals. That's why Microsoft has also licensed Exchange ActiveSync to Palm (i.e. Garnet), Symbian, etc. Hasn't there also been rumors that Bill doesn't carry a WM device himself?

I'm aware, but why would you want to give your competition something it desperately needed to potentially kill off your own product? I can understand licensing to Symbian and Palm but they were never a real threat to WM. The MS mobile division must have something else up their sleeves (read: killer Zune Phone)

Another thought some guys have mentioned is will MS license this to the desktop side and integrate it with Apple's Mail program? I couldn't see them do this. Why wouldn't they just do this with Entourage and make it the premiere email platform for Apple? That would make more sense for Microsoft.

Adding to my point in trying to push RIM out of the picture...I think they are also trying to guard against Android from cutting into the pie as well. And I know that Microsoft would rather be in bed with Apple than Google.

DerekTheGeek
03-06-2008, 10:00 PM

- DTG
I would ask you how FlexMail 4 doesn't solve that issue, but this is an iphone post :)

Hi ALex,

Flex Mail is indeed a nice product, however I think it misses the mark when it comes to identities. Many people these days have several email addresses. I myself use a specific email when posting to forums and a completely different address when respoding to clients and business contacts. Even though I have multiple addresses I want one single location from which I manage me email/schedule/etc ... Flex mail uses accounts in place of identities. In my case I have one email mailbox and have domain/email aliases that direct incoming mail into one mailbox. This way I pay for one single mailbox (I use Zimbra) yet can send out email as any one of my identities. Flex Mail forces users to create seperate accounts for each identity that they want to use to send outgoing mail even though these accounts are not checked or really used. What I think there is a market for is an email client that allows users to create identities and just have one mailbox/account. Blackberry is also lacking in this area.

- dtg

bearxor
03-06-2008, 10:12 PM
The only thing holding me back after this announcement is the complete lack of 3G service for AT&amp;T in my area. If the iPhone was available for Sprint and had EVDO, I would already be heading down to the store...That is unlikely to happen in the near future, seeing as how Apple signed a 5-year deal with AT&amp;T to get the revenue sharing, visual voicemail, etc.

That was... umm... kinda the point I was making.

***That's a long quote? -Bearxor***

RogueSpear
03-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Not really. It could be one less person using a RIM, or a Moto phone, or any other phone that's not a WM device. And now MS will collect some money on any of those cases.
You've exhausted my desire to debate, so I think I'll just take the little nugget of wisdom from your signature and call it a day.

virain
03-06-2008, 10:14 PM
I do think WM7 will be great for a lot of things. But I don't see it really stunting the iPhone honestly. It'll be just enough to keep it at bay.

Don't forget the "WOW!" factor, iPhone is something new, trendy, something from the Apple fans wishlist for many years. By the time WM 7 comes out, iPhone will get so used up , that it will turn in to joke, like many nice devices before it. Just look how much noise SE Experia 1 made in smartphone community, and not only smart phone, UMPC as well. Wait 'till it's out and then decide what suites better you. After all, beauty is in hands of a beholder.

Another thing, MS went thru so many law suites in the past 10 years or so, IMHO, it just playing safe, leaving all the front side to other developers, but building a a foundation of it back side so to speak. Staying in the shadow, invisible.

hamishmacdonald
03-07-2008, 12:23 AM
The iPhone is definitely a big WOW device. I was surprised how taken I was with it, having once been a Mac-zealot who got out of that racket, then got hooked on the usefulness of WinMo computing.

Once the iPhone sparkle-dust stopped falling, though, I shook my head and realised that the thing is a browser, not a computer. I need a computer. I need to create documents, to write long stretches of text, and to keep track of tasks. The iPhone isn't designed for creation, it's designed for consumption.

Exchange support is no great help to me on either device, because I'm an individual, not part of some large organisation with dedicated servers.

My tuppence-worth.

Jason Dunn
03-07-2008, 01:18 AM
Exchange support is no great help to me on either device, because I'm an individual, not part of some large organisation with dedicated servers.

I'd really encourage you to look into hosted Exchange: I'm just an individual as well, but if you have more than one device you check Outlook on (laptop, desktop, smartphone, etc.) you'll be shocked at how well hosted Exchange works. It's truly transformative...

T-Will
03-07-2008, 01:35 AM
I've thought about hosted Exchange, but is there a good solution out there for file sync? My main files that need syncing are Flexwallet and an Excel spreadsheet that I use to track gas mileage/maintenance.

Jonathon Watkins
03-07-2008, 01:51 AM
I'd really encourage you to look into hosted Exchange: I'm just an individual as well, but if you have more than one device you check Outlook on (laptop, desktop, smartphone, etc.) you'll be shocked at how well hosted Exchange works. It's truly transformative...

Who would you recomend to do hosted Exchange Jason? It's something I'm looking into at the moment, any pointers would be usefull. I don't use my Orbit for push email and I think it's time I did.

cab124
03-07-2008, 03:52 AM
What are the advantages of using hosted Exchange over just using gmail?

As an individual (not as a part of a company), I have been using gmail for the last several years because it is available to me on any device, anywhere I am. Am I missing something??

ctmagnus
03-07-2008, 04:28 AM
I've thought about hosted Exchange, but is there a good solution out there for file sync? My main files that need syncing are Flexwallet and an Excel spreadsheet that I use to track gas mileage/maintenance.

The only thing I've found is an ftp server and Handy Backup. I have to manually copy the file(s) between the server and the device, but Handy Backup can copy the file(s) between the server and the desktop automatically.

Speaking of which, I need to contact my web host. Thank you for reminding me. ;)

extravagant
03-07-2008, 06:08 AM
just wait for windows mobile 7, it will smoke iPhone out of the water with the new gestures and UI.

bearxor
03-07-2008, 06:24 AM
just wait for windows mobile 7, it will smoke iPhone out of the water with the new gestures and UI.

You're just assuming that the iPhone OS is going to stay where it is then, and not change at all in the next year?

Let us know how that turns out in the middle of 2009 when devices with WM7 start to ship.

whydidnt
03-07-2008, 06:38 AM
This is quite exciting news for those of us that have been sitting on the fence on whether to migrate from WM to the iPhone. Of course we still want to see 3G from Apple, and personally, I really would like to see a much broader spectrum of Bluetooth Profiles supported.

The fact that we hear WebIS is already working on software for the iPhone leads me to believe that it won't be long until we see many of our favorite WM titles available on on the iPhone. Developers are going to love the distribution channel -- lower fees than Handango, much lower risk of software being stolen by the Warez crowd, too.

MS HAS been slow to innovate on the WM front, but in all honesty I think as much blame has to go to MS's OEM partners. They have consistently failed to push the envelope. Here it is 10 years later and you cannot buy a WM device that has as strong hardware feature set - 3.5" HVGA Screen, 16 MB of ROM, Very small package AND we still haven't seen one announced. Sorry but the Sony with the tiny screen and skimpy internal memory still doesn't do it. For those that are concerned about data entry on the iPhone, it is surprisingly good. I am shocked at how well the on-screen keyboard works for typing notes, etc. It is not as efficient as a hard keyboard for filling in forms, etc. But for text I can type as fast as on the my Tilt.

The Exchange support was my first requirement to jump to the iPhone (I use an Apple touch with my Tilt right now). When they bring 3G and eWallet, or FlexWallet or CodeWallet to the iPhone I may just jump completely.

ctmagnus
03-07-2008, 06:56 AM
The Exchange support was my first requirement to jump to the iPhone (I use an Apple touch with my Tilt right now). When they bring 3G and eWallet, or FlexWallet or CodeWallet to the iPhone I may just jump completely.

Hear, hear!

Personally, I have three requirements: Pocket Informant (already covered), eWallet, and ListPro. Task sync would be nice. I'm hoping that Apple will introduce a Tasks/To-do application with the v2 software and make use of all the Exchange 2007 sync conduits.

seaflipper
03-07-2008, 08:21 AM
I think you're missing part of the point as well. For every iPhone that gets sold, that's one less person using WM device. I gave up on Microsoft and went with an iPhone myself. The Exchange stuff really doesn't excite me all that much however. I would much preferred to have seen something that better tied in Google's apps, but I suppose we have Android to look forward to for that.

I think it is well worth considering that Microsoft might actually make as much if not more money actually licensing Exchange Active sync vs licensing WM software.

MS has been pushing WM for years and I believe the license fee for a WM device is less than $25. How else could we end up with $99 BlackJacks etc?

alese
03-07-2008, 02:17 PM
I have used PocketPC/WM devices since 2000 and I went converged in 2004, but in June/July when SDK and v2 firmware is released I will make my decision.
Basically I'll compare the 3G iPhone and SE Experia and the decision will come down to avalibility of the HW and avalibility of some features/SW that is currently missing on iPhone.
If Apple adds support for tasks on their device and if there is E-Wallet/List Pro available, along with Pocket Informant of course, then I'll be very tempted to leave WM...
And one more thing, I don't think WM7 will be as good as some people hope, if nothing else it will be their first attempt at "fancy" (touch/gesture) interface and we all know what is Microsoft's track record with first releases... :twisted:

Dyvim
03-07-2008, 02:31 PM
And one more thing, I don't think WM7 will be as good as some people hope, if nothing else it will be their first attempt at "fancy" (touch/gesture) interface and we all know what is Microsoft's track record with first releases... :twisted:
I kind of have the same feeling. I definitely don't think that it's going to "smoke" the iPhone UI as another poster suggested. And even if it did, that would be a 2009 UI (if they deliver on time) smoking a 2007 UI: no guarantee how it will compare to Apple's 2009 UI. But I have my doubts that it will even smoke the 2007 iPhone UI although any improvements over the current UI will be most welcome. Why am I doubting? Because WM's 2008 UI is very, very similar to the original Pocket PC UI (2000) IMO. Oh I know they've made gradual additions here and there with each version of the OS, but it basically looks and works the same, which isn't necessarily a good thing. So I am skeptical that they'll make much of a revolution with their 2009 UI, but I guess we'll all have to wait and see what the future of WM has in store for us.

BudPritchard
03-07-2008, 02:43 PM
The iPhone has one major design flaw: no user replacable battery.
Having to send it off for replacement means you have no phone.

That is deal killer for me in all my electronic items.

Even for cameras I only buy ones that use AA batteries. Allows me to pick up batteries anywhere in case my rechargables are exhausted.

Ilium Software
03-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Yes, we have every intention of having eWallet and ListPro available on the iPhone as soon as we can. We're just as excited about it as everyone else is.

Ellen

bearxor
03-07-2008, 03:52 PM

A question...

How long do you keep your WM Phone? Most people here switch them out on a yearly basis or less I would presume.

whydidnt
03-07-2008, 03:57 PM
I kind of have the same feeling. I definitely don't think that it's going to "smoke" the iPhone UI as another poster suggested. And even if it did, that would be a 2009 UI (if they deliver on time) smoking a 2007 UI:

Maybe for a few people the UI is a huge issue, but I don't think that is the biggest issue, and I think MS investing all their time in the UI is a mistake. They need to fix the real issues, many of which are hardware related and give us fast, real Internet Browser. Yes a true finger friendly UI across the OS would be a huge improvement, but since OEM's seem to have fallen in love with 2.8" or smaller touch screens, being able to use your finger is going to have limited use anyway. There just won't be enough real estate to display everything most of us want in a finger friendly manner.

Eitel
03-07-2008, 04:10 PM

I completely agree on the battery comment, but as a true geek using a GSM network, I always have extra phones available. Just take the SIM out and use another phone. :) Right now I have an iPhone, Tilt, V3xx and a Slvr. And I can always steal my wife's Treo 750. :D

efjay
03-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Whether the iphone completely dominates the mobile phone landscape from here on out one thing about MS is becoming clear - Windows Mobile as a platform is NOT a priority for them and I think WM7 is just going to be their attempt to placate current users. Trying to become the dominant mobile phone platform does not appear to be their goal. How else do you explain licensing to your competitor (with arguably the fastest selling phone to date) a feature that has been an advantage of yours for years thereby erasing said advantage and also ignoring your own platform but releasing a product (Silverlight) again to your competitor (Nokia)? And how about fixing the problem with Windows Media Player 11 not recognising your storage card when your device is docked? :roll: And today we learn that Live Anywhere is still Live Vapourware. Yet another opportunity to bring a unique experience to the WM platform lost.

Maybe as has been said MS stands to make more money off licensing fees than actual WM handset sales so maybe that is why they seem to have no enthusiasm for their own platform. Its embarassing reading all the news about the iphone and Android platforms and WM is still parading around in the same old clothes. Even Sony was able to design something new for their X1 yet MS still seems incapable of improving the OS.

I honestly feel that MS is rapidly becoming a dinosaur in the technology world, they seem to have an inability to react quickly to new trends and competitors. They seem to have gotten complacent on the back of their continued domination of the desktop where the competition is not as fierce and they can move more slowly, and are only half-heartedly pursuing other endeavours. Time will tell how commited (or not) they are to the WM platform but I think the dominant days of WM are definitely over.

bearxor
03-07-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm beginning to agree.

whydidnt
03-07-2008, 06:11 PM
And here's hoping that someone that can make a difference at MS reads these posts and takes action to make WM the best mobile OS, again. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BudPritchard
03-07-2008, 07:29 PM
How long do you keep your WM Phone? Most people here switch them out on a yearly basis or less I would presume.

I can swap out every two years based on Verizon's one every two years if the there is a model out that has more features than the Samsung i760.
Normally you wouldn't switch out a PDA/Phone every year. Too cost prohibitive. You would pay full price, which can be $350-$600.

BudPritchard
03-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Just take the SIM out and use another phone. :) Right now I have an iPhone, Tilt, V3xx and a Slvr. And I can always steal my wife's Treo 750. :D

You still lose the PDA capability. I went with a PDA/Phone to replace two devices.

bearxor
03-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Normally you wouldn't switch out a PDA/Phone every year. Too cost prohibitive. You would pay full price, which can be $350-$600.

Guess that makes me hardcore then. I've been out of contract with Sprint for four years and have purchased the G1000 and the PPC-6600 for MSRP and had planned to pay MSRP for the Treo 800. I thought most people that would be on a site like this were more hardcore and generally upgraded once a year or so, regardless of the actual phone cost... Guess I was wrong.

whydidnt
03-07-2008, 08:07 PM
I thought most people that would be on a site like this were more hardcore and generally upgraded once a year or so, regardless of the actual phone cost... Guess I was wrong.

I think this is all a matter or opinion and circumstances. If you prefer Verizon as your carrier there probably isn't much reason to upgrade more than the once every two years they release an updated WM device. However, many of us that use a GSM carrier update much more frequently -- always in search of that one perfect phone that doesn't seem to exist. :oops:

Sprint is only slightly better than Verizon, but I'm like the previous poster and have paid full retail on more than one occasion for a modern device. I'm guessing if someone took a survey of PPCT reader's you get a split down the middle between those who wait the 2 years, and those who want to try the latest and greatest.

Marty1781
03-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Who would you recomend to do hosted Exchange Jason? It's something I'm looking into at the moment, any pointers would be usefull. I don't use my Orbit for push email and I think it's time I did.

I would take a serious look at IT Solutions Now (www.exchangeemailhosting.com). They offer a $9.99 monthly plan for an unlimited size Exchange 2007 mailbox along with free email and PHONE support 24/7. I've found them very knowledgeable, friendly, and quick to respond. Most importantly, I have yet to experience any downtime with them (which cannot be said about other hosted Exchange companies like 4smartphone, STAY AWAY from them, poor reliability and they treat their customers like dirt, they actually cancelled my account when I told them I didn't agree with their decision to increase fees in the middle of my annual contract. Good thing I had everything backed up otherwise I would have lost everything as they gave me around 30 minutes notice before they deleted my account, and then tried to charge me a cancellation fee!).

aristoBrat
03-07-2008, 11:25 PM
They'll keep 30% of costs
For developers, how does this compare to distributing your products through a site such as Handango or Mobihand?
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/02/16/handango-revises-cda-says-screw-you-to-developers/
According to BG, a developer that sells less than $250,000 on Handango annually will only receive a 50% royalty on sales.

That is unlikely to happen in the near future, seeing as how Apple signed a 5-year deal with AT&amp;T to get the revenue sharing, visual voicemail, etc.
What's interesting is that Apple's COO stated last week that "Apple is not married to the single, exclusive-carrier model". Wonder if that means we'll see the iPhone on other US carriers before the alleged 5 year AT&amp;T deal ends?
http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/02/27/apple-coo-says-its-not-married-to-iphone-exclusivity-still-on/

Janak Parekh
03-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Whether the iphone completely dominates the mobile phone landscape from here on out one thing about MS is becoming clear - Windows Mobile as a platform is NOT a priority for them and I think WM7 is just going to be their attempt to placate current users.
I don't think this is entirely true. You're assuming MS is one company. It is only in the financial sense. Operations-wise, it's many companies, and the MED division is very different from the Exchange folks. A number of us have discussed our disappointment with MED's progress on the platform on a number of issues (WMP, as mentioned earlier, is unforgivably bad--I still maintain that the best WMP is the one that shipped with Pocket PC 2000), but I truly believe that has little to do with licensing Exchange ActiveSync (which, despite the name, is a significantly different technology than the usual piece-of-crap that WM's ActiveSync platform is).

--janak

Janak Parekh
03-07-2008, 11:43 PM

A number of people have voiced this opinion, and I think it's a legitimate not to adopt Apple's mobile platform, although I personally don't find it a major issue. That said, I doubt Apple is going to shift their position on this -- if anything, they're moving towards embedded batteries on even more devices (cf. MacBook Air).

(I wouldn't be surprised if Apple doesn't mind if people just get new iPhones instead of replacing batteries when the existing ones give out. ;))

--janak

alese
03-08-2008, 02:19 AM

I don't think this is such a problem. I have a HTC Himalaya that I bought in 2004, I used it as my main phone for more than 1,5 years and I still use it as my alarm clock. I still have the original battery that was used for more than three years, I only replaced it two months ago. So if you take care of your battery two years is not a problem and there shouldn't be much degradation.

davea
03-08-2008, 03:21 AM
It seems that Apple is creating a fund to assist software developers of business applications for Apple's iPhone. That should scare the cr*p out
of MS and their business oriented MW product strategy.

LINK TO VIDEO: http://www.marketwatch.com/tvradio/bcPlayer.asp?bcpid=203719194&amp;bclid=86272812&amp;bctid=1446784491

DESCRIPTION OF VIDEO: Tim Bajarin, President of Creative Strategies, talks about Kleiner Perkins’ $100million iFund for iPhone third-party software developers. The new software will give RIMM’s Blackberry a run for its money. Interview by MarketWatch’s Rex Crumm

UPDATED: A link to a phonemag.com article:

http://www.phonemag.com/apple-launch-100m-iphone-developers-fund-031548.php

ctmagnus
03-08-2008, 07:33 AM
A tasks application! (http://www.tuaw.com/2008/03/07/first-fruits-of-the-iphone-sdk-todo-app/) :clap:

aristoBrat
03-08-2008, 04:40 PM
If you haven't seen Apple's webpage for the SDK, check it out:
http://developer.apple.com/iphone/

Granted, most links on it aren't active until you create a free account, but I think it'd be hard to look at this page and not be impressed.

whydidnt
03-08-2008, 06:24 PM
One negative on the SDK - non-native apps will not be allowed to run in the background. Sounds a little like our old friends from Palm doesn't it?

Jerry Raia
03-09-2008, 06:56 PM
I took the iPhone plunge myself on the news that exchange support is coming. As a side note if you have a Yahoo email account you will have push email on the iPhone.

wbgordy
05-31-2008, 07:00 PM
What I want to know is if we will finally get activesync on the mac itself allowing, for the first time, pocketpc syncing (not just iPhone).