View Full Version : Asus Lamborghini ZX1: Cachet At A Price

Nurhisham Hussein
03-04-2008, 07:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/03/03/asus-new-touchscreen-gui-prettifies-windows-mobile-6-1/' target='_blank'>http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/...ows-mobile-6-1/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Starting with a Windows Mobile 6.1 core, ASUS slathers on a new customizable Multi-Home 3D interface meant to simplify access to your today screen, life and business applications. Think HTC's TouchFlo only sexier. ASUS even threw in some "album cover flow" to the media app and the ability to more easily manipulate all your digital media with enhanced figure gestures. You can even drop everything into a visual carousel if that's your preference."</i><br /><br /><object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PvfIPBqz2WM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PvfIPBqz2WM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object><br /><br />Tri-band HSDPA, quad-band GSM, GPS, 3MP AF camera - what's not to like? Ok, it's QVGA only, but it does have a spanking new 3D interface and cool animations that might, just <i>might</i>, garner some interest if you don't mind taking out another mortgage on the house and absolutely <i>have</i> to have a Lambo in your pocket. Hit up these links for more info:<br /><br />•<a href=http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/03/02/asus-lamborghini-zx1-propaganda-spotted-at-cebit/" target="_blank">Asus ZX1 Propoganda</a><br />•<a href="http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/03/03/eyes-on-with-asus-zx1-lamborghini-phone/">Eyes-on Asus ZX1</a><br /><br />Style with substance? The ZX1 will reportedly retail for €1,000 ($1,500) unlocked. Please pick up your jaw on the way out.

alese
03-04-2008, 10:02 AM
I'm not sure about style or substance, it's more like name and cashing in...

whydidnt
03-04-2008, 03:01 PM
It's almost as if we've slipped back to PC's in the early 90's. You have a million choices, but in the end they are all beige boxes with the same processor and 32 MB of RAM. Oh, sure some put a badge on them that says "Lamborghini" or others put them in a cute boxes that are spotted like cows, but at the end of the day they are all the same. WM has fallen into that trap - sub 3" QVGA screen, somewhere between 128 - 256 MB ROM, 64 - 128 MB RAM, and a "finger-friendly" touch overlay that is only mildly useful, since it only works up until the time you launch a program, and the screen has a big plastic bezel that protrudes 1/8" above the screen making it difficult to actually use your fingers to touch the screen within a 1/4" of the edge.

Good luck to ASUS with this one. If someone actually spends $1,000 for this phone they have serious "look at me, I have money to burn" issues! :twisted:

WyattEarp
03-04-2008, 05:33 PM
It's almost as if we've slipped back to PC's in the early 90's. You have a million choices, but in the end they are all beige boxes with the same processor and 32 MB of RAM. Oh, sure some put a badge on them that says "Lamborghini" or others put them in a cute boxes that are spotted like cows, but at the end of the day they are all the same. WM has fallen into that trap - sub 3" QVGA screen, somewhere between 128 - 256 MB ROM, 64 - 128 MB RAM, and a "finger-friendly" touch overlay that is only mildly useful, since it only works up until the time you launch a program, and the screen has a big plastic bezel that protrudes 1/8" above the screen making it difficult to actually use your fingers to touch the screen within a 1/4" of the edge.

Good luck to ASUS with this one. If someone actually spends $1,000 for this phone they have serious "look at me, I have money to burn" issues! :twisted:

Wow, my sentiments exactly. All these shrinking memory chips and not 1 manufacturer is willing to put even 1GB of FlashROM or 512MB of RAM in these WM devices. A 3D interface, a nice GPU on a QVGA screen just doesn't add up and then charge $1500.00 for the device. We are truely going backwards these days.

surur
03-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Not exactly no -one. The new MDA IV (Tytn III) will have a VGA screen and 4GB Flash. Even the XDA Flame, out for a year, has 1GB flash and a VGA screen.

Surur

whydidnt
03-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Not exactly no -one. The new MDA IV (Tytn III) will have a VGA screen and 4GB Flash. Even the XDA Flame, out for a year, has 1GB flash and a VGA screen.

Surur

Oh yes, the Flame. Of course it wasn't widely distributed, and didn't include a North American friendly radio so wasn't really much of an option for many of us.

Haven't seen details of the MDA IV yet, but if it holds true to HTC's past with these devices, we'll still be stuck with a 2.8" screen. However, it's a small step in the right direction.

WyattEarp
03-04-2008, 10:18 PM

Surur

Those are non-U S. Devices which brings up the other problem. The U.S. Is seriously lacking in innovative devices from the major players. HTC and especially ETEN do not create devices for the U.S. much less support the ones people get from places like expansis. We need companies like HP, Dell, and others to compete more aggresively to bring real innovation ans not place bandaids on top of an aging OS.

Frankie1
03-06-2008, 04:47 AM
Am I the only one who's sick of 2.8" screens? QVGA or not, 2.8" just does not do it for me. 3.5" makes more sense. I'm not an iPhone fan boy, I don't own one, my brother does (I have an Xda Exec), but I have to give it to the apple device for choosing a 3.5" display. If I did not know better, I would say apple has a patent on 3.5" display VGA touch screen devices.
I think I’m going to switch to the flame next, but the lack of hackability, provided by the xda developers :devilboy: ,makes the device unappealing to me.