View Full Version : AT&T Updates ROM On Tilt

Ed Hansberry
02-19-2008, 02:00 PM
<a href="http://www.america.htc.com/support/tilt/software-downloads.html">http://www.america.htc.com/support/tilt/software-downloads.html</a><br /><br />AT&amp;T has released a full ROM update for the Tilt. Enhancements include:<br /><br />• Enhanced Bluetooth performance. <br />• Enables DTMF tones for the slide-out QWERTY keyboard. <br />• Improves overall device performance and stability. <br />• Includes Microsoft Adaptation Kit Update (AKU) 0.4.4. <br /><br />I haven't checked yet to see of HTC did the same for the TyTN II yet, which is the same device. They actually allow you to restore data after the upgrade from your pre-update data, but I am highly suspicious of this, as that would also replace registry keys that may have a different meaning now with newer drivers.

LordFuzzy
02-19-2008, 05:43 PM
If this is an update then why is the Rom Date: 08/25/2007??? I got my Tilt about 2 months ago and it came with that ROM on it. Is there another update or is this just an update for the original Tilt people?

brianchris
02-19-2008, 06:23 PM
I know its confusing, but that picture is from the old / initial ROM. What they are saying is, if you have those version #'s, you do NOT have the newest version, and therefore could upgrade.

The new ROM version date is actually 1/17/08, and its seems to be a faster stabler ROM....worth the update IMHO (so far....just updated last night).

Ed Hansberry
02-19-2008, 06:53 PM
If this is an update then why is the Rom Date: 08/25/2007??? I got my Tilt about 2 months ago and it came with that ROM on it. Is there another update or is this just an update for the original Tilt people?
As BrainChris said, that pic is wrong. The text at the top says the ROM update is 1.62.502.0, and the pic shown hasn 1.57.502.2.

LordFuzzy
02-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Thats what i get for not reading the whole thing. In the past they posted the new picture not the old one for comparison. Thanks everyone. Going to try the new update tonight.

pmgibson
02-19-2008, 08:03 PM
As BrainChris said, that pic is wrong. The text at the top says the ROM update is 1.62.502.0, and the pic shown hasn 1.57.502.2.

I'm not sure the pic is "wrong". My take when I read it was that if you have the ROM pictured, you should upgrade.

SteveHoward999
02-19-2008, 08:22 PM
They actually allow you to restore data after the upgrade from your pre-update data, but I am highly suspicious of this, as that would also replace registry keys that may have a different meaning now with newer drivers.

Any reason why you think they wouldn't have thought of that?

DaleReeck
02-19-2008, 08:52 PM
They actually allow you to restore data after the upgrade from your pre-update data, but I am highly suspicious of this, as that would also replace registry keys that may have a different meaning now with newer drivers.

Actually, this whole thing irritates me. Back in the day, PDAs used a type of memory that required a hard reset to update as it had to be flashed in whole. But in the last couple of years, most began using a strataflash memory that could be written to in parts without requiring a full reset. But to code that sort of update requires a little more work and vendors are too lazy and/or cheap to do it. So they just flash all the memory blocks at once, forcing users to hard reset, even for a minor upgrade.

It takes me a day to redo my PPC and get it up to my standards. So I (once again) have to pass on an upgrade because, well, because I'm too lazy to reinstall everything ;) But the point is, the whole issue of restoring a backup from one ROM to another (which never works by the way) wouldn't be an issue if they would just program the update in the proper manner.

brianchris
02-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Actually, this whole thing irritates me. Back in the day, PDAs used a type of memory that required a hard reset to update as it had to be flashed in whole. But in the last couple of years, most began using a strataflash memory that could be written to in parts without requiring a full reset. But to code that sort of update requires a little more work and vendors are too lazy and/or cheap to do it. So they just flash all the memory blocks at once, forcing users to hard reset, even for a minor upgrade.

It takes me a day to redo my PPC and get it up to my standards. So I (once again) have to pass on an upgrade because, well, because I'm too lazy to reinstall everything ;) But the point is, the whole issue of restoring a backup from one ROM to another (which never works by the way) wouldn't be an issue if they would just program the update in the proper manner.

While I agree with you that they should preform their updates via the methos you refer to (XIP, execture in place, I believe), more importantly, I'm just happy they released an update at all! Having owned the 8125 and the 8525 before the Tilt, the Tilt's initial ROM (the ROM you're currently using and have no plans to upgrade from) was the buggiest of all of them....WAY below HTC's usual standards.

It also takes me at least one day (if not longer) to reinstall and reconfigure everything, but that's better IMHO than tolerating a $300 bug factory.

mmidgley
02-19-2008, 11:10 PM
I agree that a cleaner upgrade path should exist, but given the current technology and phone maker/carrier's laziness (meaning preference for profitability right?) factor, entire new roms requiring hard reset without restore as an option seem really annoying but quite acceptable to get bug free function for me. Another thought I had was that when they bug fix here and there, even if the fixes are minor, they might touch enough regions of the rom that xip'ing one area only is useless to get all the fixes in. The solution there is probably to issue fixes more often, as they are made, and not in one huge load--perhaps via the "Windows Update" thing that doesn't seem to be currently used and without hard reset required.

I'll deal with rom updates as they are because often the only alternative is no update at all or just buying new hardware.

What I'm most bothered with is hardware that can run newer versions of the OS but getting it isn't an option, even if one is willing to pay a licensing fee. Thinking about PCs I'm able to get Vista even if I know certain features will behave less than ideal on my hardware (and I can know that upfront using their advisor software)--I want the ppc OS designed such that this would be possible. Maybe someday...

m.

MichaelA
02-19-2008, 11:44 PM
...the Tilt's initial ROM (the ROM you're currently using and have no plans to upgrade from) was the buggiest of all of them....WAY below HTC's usual standards.

It also takes me at least one day (if not longer) to reinstall and reconfigure everything, but that's better IMHO than tolerating a $300 bug factory.

What problems were you having? I'm just curious as I have a Tilt, and I'm also lazy (and a busy grad student) and I don't have time to upgrade now. I haven't had any glaring issues... I checked my device against the one they have pictured on the site and I match exactly except for the protocol version -- mine claims to be 22.45.88.07W (instead of "H"). I'm not sure what that is all about...

I actually had more issues with my 8525 than I have had so far with my Tilt. Just wondering what I may have been missing or putting up with that I wouldn't have had to...

Thanks!

Ed Hansberry
02-20-2008, 04:32 AM

Any reason why you think they wouldn't have thought of that?

Because of this sentence.

"...be sure to back up all of your data using Activesync/Windows Mobile Device Center..."

AS and WMDC can't back up WM5 and higher devices. Shows me whoever wrote it doesn't actually use AS/WMDC.

Jeff_R
02-20-2008, 06:18 AM
Personally, I took that to mean that, if you had made any changes to contacts, calendar etc. on your phone, make sure to sync them so the data is in Outlook, rather than implying a backup function. But definitely poorly phrased.

LordFuzzy
02-20-2008, 04:41 PM
I applied the update last night. And i decided to do a little time study while i did it. Before i applied the update I soft-reset my phone and timed it to see how long it takes to boot up. then i installed the update, synced with outlook and installed my programs and setttings. Below are the times.

Before Update: 35 seconds from soft-reset to usable phone.
Installed update: 16 minutes from time of update to usuable phone. (Stupid ATT installs take awhile.)
Synced with Outlook: 5 minutes. (I have way to much stuff in there)
Installed Apps: 25 minutes. This took awhile, i use a lot, but keep all the install files so its easy to deal with. SPB PocketPlus has a Backup/Restore Settings which saved me a couple hours of setup.
Tested programs: 10 minutes (Got to make sure everything works right.)
After Update: 75 seconds from soft-reset to usable phone.

All said and done i started the update at 1am and finished everything by 2:15am. Backing up your settings and keeping all the install files in one place is an easy way to get back up and running in a hurry. Besides the Soft-Reset time doubling for some reason i haven't noticed any problems with the update. It does seem more stable but i'll run it through the paces today to see if it can stand up. Has anyone else noticed how long it takes to boot up now????

DaleReeck
02-20-2008, 04:56 PM
All said and done i started the update at 1am and finished everything by 2:15am. Backing up your settings and keeping all the install files in one place is an easy way to get back up and running in a hurry.

If it would only take me an hour or so, I'd do it. But for me, not only do I have to install about 30 apps, but I have to fix the ones that don't install right or need patches/mods (for example, those that ignore instaling to Storage Card and install themselves to main memory - I have to maually move them). Then there's cleanup. I like a clean, organzied PPC and wil move icons around, that sort of thing.

Then, I have three or four apps that are tied to hardware (I really hate when they do that) and need reactivating. If the firmware update creates a new internal ID (it usually does), and I am out of "allowed" activations, then I have to track down the vendors and get new codes. TomTom is a HUGE pain to do this (I actually had to fax my receipt to them before getting a new device code).

So, for me, it's three or four hours of solid work, followed by a couple of days stretched out as vendors get back to me with updated codes. A huge a$$ pain to upgrade my PPC.

LordFuzzy
02-20-2008, 05:29 PM
If it would only take me an hour or so, I'd do it. But for me, not only do I have to install about 30 apps, but I have to fix the ones that don't install right or need patches/mods (for example, those that ignore instaling to Storage Card and install themselves to main memory - I have to maually move them). Then there's cleanup. I like a clean, organzied PPC and wil move icons around, that sort of thing.

I dont have 30 apps but i did have 15 to install, but mine were just serial keys to implement not hardware dependent. Those programs drive me nuts. Dont they realize that these phones are updateable and can change often? The one thing i wish WindowsMobile had was a Today Screen Settings Backup. Thats what takes me the longest, just rearranging the items and shortcuts. There is more than enough memory for the programs i use so i install them directly to the phone instead of the storage card. (But On my 8525 i installed everything i could on the storage card. The Tilt just has more memory so i dont worry about it.) I have found that sometimes the programs act funny when installed to the storage card. From sleep state the phone doesn't automatically read the storage card, it will sometimes take several seconds to do so.

brianchris
02-21-2008, 01:37 AM
...the Tilt's initial ROM (the ROM you're currently using and have no plans to upgrade from) was the buggiest of all of them....WAY below HTC's usual standards.

What problems were you having? I'm just curious as I have a Tilt, and I'm also lazy (and a busy grad student) and I don't have time to upgrade now. I haven't had any glaring issues... I checked my device against the one they have pictured on the site and I match exactly except for the protocol version -- mine claims to be 22.45.88.07W (instead of "H"). I'm not sure what that is all about...

I actually had more issues with my 8525 than I have had so far with my Tilt. Just wondering what I may have been missing or putting up with that I wouldn't have had to...

Thanks!

My bug list with the original Tilt ROM is long, but since I'm in a hurry right now, I'll mention the three biggest (IMHO):

1) When you're on a call, the Start menu in the taskbar was totally disabled! This was a huge problem, because it severley limited what I could do while on a call (like look at my calendar, etc). this may have been considered a "feature" initially by HTC (so your face would accidentaly launch apps), but if so, it was *poorly* thought out.
2) Te OS was slow and pokey (compared to previous models such as 8525 and 8125).
3) When put into flight mode, it was difficult (if not impossible) to get back out of flight mode without a soft reset.

At least #1 and 2 are solved in the new ROM (haven't tried #3 yet).

brianchris
02-21-2008, 01:43 AM
HAs anyone else that has upgraded their Tilt ROM noticed that their battery life is worse...like the radio uses it up faster? I may just be crazy.

SteinyD
02-21-2008, 06:03 AM
I am running a 'cooked' rom at the moment and not interested in yet another update for reasons discussed throughout this thread. However, I have one outstanding issue that has been discussed in other forums that would encourage me to upgrade.

I own a '07 Infiniti G35x. My TyTN I paired with and worked perfectly with the bluetooth ability of the car. However, after purchasing my Tilt the AT&amp;T ROM and subsequent cooked ROMs do not seem to work well with the car. It will pair fine and even make a phone call. But the person on the other end of the phone cannot hear me and they sound 'tinny' to me. This issue has been discussed elsewhere and seems to be an issue for others as well.

Has anyone here that has upgraded to this ROM also own this vehicle? If so, did you have this problem prior? Has it now been resolved?

And generically, do we know what the 'performance' improvements are in this ROM?

Thanks
David

superrrguy
02-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Damn it!. Why would they release a ROM upgrade without WinMo 6.1?

Ed Hansberry
02-22-2008, 10:04 AM
My bug list with the original Tilt ROM is long, but since I'm in a hurry right now, I'll mention the three biggest (IMHO):

1) When you're on a call, the Start menu in the taskbar was totally disabled! This was a huge problem, because it severley limited what I could do while on a call (like look at my calendar, etc). this may have been considered a "feature" initially by HTC (so your face would accidentaly launch apps), but if so, it was *poorly* thought out.
2) Te OS was slow and pokey (compared to previous models such as 8525 and 8125).
3) When put into flight mode, it was difficult (if not impossible) to get back out of flight mode without a soft reset.

At least #1 and 2 are solved in the new ROM (haven't tried #3 yet).
FWIW, those are Tilt problems. I have none of the above on my TyTN II.

And there is no HTC ROM upgrade for the TyTN II as of yet. Just checked.

FormerMVP
02-23-2008, 01:07 PM
For those who upgraded, can you confirm that the Internet Sharing app is still there (\Windows\IntShrUI.exe)? Thanks