View Full Version : WM6 does NOT sync with Vista running OUtlook 2003/2007

lanwarrior
02-15-2008, 03:47 AM
I just got a new laptop running Vista and I am just having tremendous issue trying to sync my Sprint Mogul (HTC Titan) to Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC --> ActiveSync replacement in Vista) and Outlook 2007.

Basically, when I connect my Mogul via USB (NO Bluetooth), the device shows that it is connected for syncing to the laptop. But WMDC shows "connecting..." all the time and just not syncing. The only way to do this is to reboot the laptop.

The same phone sync just find to a Windows XP machine. I have tried the following but to NO AVAIL:
- Disable "Enhanced network USB function" in the device (Start -> Settings -> Connection -> USB to PC
- Remove all background services in the laptop, like Anti Virus, Vista Sidebar, Spy Sweeper.

BTW, my Mogul is running WM6, no custom ROM or anything.

Does anyone have the same issue and can provide me with the solution? It seems Vista and WMDC just breaks everything.

JayP
02-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Basically, when I connect my Mogul via USB (NO Bluetooth), the device shows that it is connected for syncing to the laptop. But WMDC shows "connecting..." all the time and just not syncing. The only way to do this is to reboot the laptop.
I don't have Vista nor WM6, but your symptom reminds me of a sync problem I had caused by my ZoneAlarm firewall. I recall having to adjust my firewall settings to allow ActiveSync to connect.

lanwarrior
02-15-2008, 06:01 PM
I don't have firewall and I already disabled Windows Firewall.

I feel this is more and more of Vista issues.

wrack
02-18-2008, 07:42 AM
Looks like your sync profile has been screwed up. Try to delete the partnership and then recreate the partnership.

Make sure you back up the outlook PST file first (just in case I like to be safe than sorry).

Clarkster
02-18-2008, 11:27 AM
I remember a recently-announced update to WM6 that included new compatibility with Word and Excel 2007. This may be (very) wrong - but I wonder if Outlook 2007 interacts (only, or better?) with WM 6.1 ?

I'm running Outlook 2003 on Vista, syncing to a TyTN (WM6) with no trouble.
If you end up doing hard resets anyway, might be an idea to update to 6.1?

Trying to be helpful, but may be wrong.

jgrnt1
02-19-2008, 02:23 AM
I have a Vista PC with Outlook 2003 and a Cingular 8525 (HTC TyTn) running WM6. I have no syncing problems, though it does occasionally take a while to move from "connecting" to "syncing". As Ed Hansberry mentioned (I think) in one of his front page rants, Vista/WMDC will on rare occasions lose the partnership altogether, which results in the wiping of all calendar and contact info from the phone. Setting up a new partnership and syncing brings it all back, though.

lanwarrior
02-19-2008, 10:10 PM
Sound like the issue is more on Outlook 2007 since you guys have no problem with Outlook 2003.

I have wiped the partnership (not hard reset though) 3 times.