in the new 2xx model ipaqs. Well the processor's a little
different, but same speed. They are 624's and the older
4700 are also 624's.

You would think the 2xx models would sport a different
processor considering a good deal of time has passed
since the 47xx models were released?

Russ Smith
02-03-2008, 11:22 PM
They're not using the same processor. The hx4700 uses the PXA270, (624 MHz) while the 200 series uses the Marvell PXA310 (also 624 Mhz). The fact that both processors operate at the same clock speed doesn't tell the full story. The 310 is more energy efficient and performs some operations just a bit faster than the 270 (due to optimizing the internals). The 270 was state of the art when the hx4700 was introduced. The 310 actually has a "big brother", the 320, which wasn't quite ready when HP's OEM starte developement on the 100 and 200 series.

In addition to the (relatively minor) processor improvements, the 210 series has better WiFi (g vs b), a better SD slot (supporting SDHC), somewhat better connection options (including the ability to use a micro USB connector for sync and recharging), double the RAM and ROM, a current OS (WM 6), and does away with the somewhat difficult touch-pad.

Lorenzo
02-03-2008, 11:36 PM
I did say the processors are different, but this is a general
type statement that the processor speed should be double
what th 47xx models are if you go with processor modifications
via new ipaqs during the last few years. Granted, I don't
own a cell phone, but have gone through so many PDA's
not to mention stripping them down :-).

The 47xx was a good model and I've seen people selling
them on e-bay for thousands, yeah thousands. I'm not
talking about clocking or chip mods, but stock it's 6xx
via 2xx models and it should be 8xx chips by now.

KH
02-05-2008, 02:01 AM
Do you know if the Micro USB connector can be plugged into something like the iGO device that converts from the USB connector to standard wall plug for charging?

Russ Smith
02-05-2008, 02:48 PM
KH: I don't know for sure, but I'd have to assume that it could since it's capable of charging from the USB port.

Lorenzo: Processor development for handhelds is different from processor development for desktops and laptops. In the later, Moore's "Law" still holds that the processing speed doubles in about 18 months. Those processors are larger and have humongous heat sinks mounted on top of them to handle the heat dissapation issue. Handhelds can tolerate none of the size, power, and heat dissapation requirements of desktops and laptops. It's true that handheld processors haven't increased in clock speed in almost four years. That sounds odd at first until you consider that the vast majority of the development has gone into smartphones, the majority of which don't run at anywhere near the maximum speed available for their processors. (Development is more centered around lower power requirements and better efficiency of operation.)

With that in mind, it still might seem odd, but at least within reason that the processors in the 200 series and 4700 series run at the same speed. One should expect better battery life and efficiency out of the 200 though.

billpool
03-01-2008, 05:04 AM
Do you know if the Micro USB connector can be plugged into something like the iGO device that converts from the USB connector to standard wall plug for charging?

Yes it does. I've recharged off the usb and both a non-activesync computer and also via usb with my Socket MPP power supply, works fine.
I'v also charged with a usb off a wall plug similar to ,I think a boxwave wall plug.
:D