View Full Version : windows mobile 6 wireless connection to LAN

fireflyrsmr
01-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Sorry if I missed a post on this but I've looked and didn't see anything addressing this specifically. I just got my first converged device Verizon labeled HTC 6800. It would be cool to get to the internet with the wifi card but I'll settle for just being able to share files on my LAN. the cellular connection seems adequate for the net. I have the Linksys wrt54gs. The laptop connects with wpa-psk, data encryption tkip. So I know that works. I put in that same network key in the HTC 6800 and get the message "Cannot connect to the network. Check your network and service provider settings and try again." I know the router is seeing the key because I've also mistyped it and I get an error message telling me that. I went into the Network Adapters and told the network card to connect to : "Work" . From the posts here that seemed appropriate. The IEEE 802.11b/g settings are turned on to "Use server assigned IP address". DHCP is enabled on my lan but when I go to that screen everything is blank. I assume that's because the connection still has failed.

When I go to Network Management I've left the automatically connect to internet box as Verizon Wireless. The other box for "automatically connect to a private network ..." I've labeled as WiFi. I go to edit and I get into VPN hell. Do I need to go there or is it something else that is wrong. As always the help is invaluable after someone has already spent hours searching the web and not finding the answer.

Cybrid
01-22-2008, 11:34 PM
Sorry if I missed a post on this but I've looked and didn't see anything addressing this specifically. I just got my first converged device Verizon labeled HTC 6800. It would be cool to get to the internet with the wifi card but I'll settle for just being able to share files on my LAN. the cellular connection seems adequate for the net. I have the Linksys wrt54gs. The laptop connects with wpa-psk, data encryption tkip. So I know that works. I put in that same network key in the HTC 6800 and get the message "Cannot connect to the network. Check your network and service provider settings and try again." I know the router is seeing the key because I've also mistyped it and I get an error message telling me that. I went into the Network Adapters and told the network card to connect to : "Work" . From the posts here that seemed appropriate. The IEEE 802.11b/g settings are turned on to "Use server assigned IP address". DHCP is enabled on my lan but when I go to that screen everything is blank. I assume that's because the connection still has failed.

When I go to Network Management I've left the automatically connect to internet box as Verizon Wireless. The other box for "automatically connect to a private network ..." I've labeled as WiFi. I go to edit and I get into VPN hell. Do I need to go there or is it something else that is wrong. As always the help is invaluable after someone has already spent hours searching the web and not finding the answer.
Try no encryption at all (neighborhood hotspot ie starbucks, et al) to connect first.

there are a myriad of non-phone guides. (use the verizon wireless setting instead though.)

http://wifi.aximsite.com/wm5.html

older guide (http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/Connection_Manager/ConnectionManager.html) which outlines the connection settings for a non phone device. There is also the Connection manager FAQ (http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/connectionmanager.htm) hopefully these will allow you to get the settings right. If you successfully connect to the internet using an open hotspot, then using those settings and your encryption key (if supported) will allow network share access just as easily. Internet too.

fireflyrsmr
01-23-2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks. I'll give that stuff a shot. I was on the phone with Verizon for an hour. They decided the machine is sick and are sending a new one. I'll let folks know what finally works.