View Full Version : Replace my Axim x50v with an ITouch as a PDA?

jeffwolowiec
01-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Since Window Mobile vendors have all but abandoned their standalone Pocket PC customers to push converged devices has anyone thought or implemented an ITouch as their device? I don't want or need a converged device...my sister got an Itouch for xmas and I liked it. The 8gig model is pretty compelling at $299, sure it doesn't have expansion slots but wow...this is all I need, does anyone know if Apple for sure is going to allow 3rd party apps? I know it doesn't have stylus entry or even bluetooth (or does it), I think this could be a great PDA if Apple wasn't bloody pushing Itunes or youtube constantly. Any thoughts...experiences?

ironguy
01-02-2008, 05:48 PM
The SDK for the iPhone is scheduled for release in February. Whether this will also apply to the iTouch is unknown to me. Remember however, the iTouch currently has NO 3rd party apps. You can sync your calendar to the iTouch but can only view it. You cannot make any additions to your calendar or contacts. It is very cool though.

jeffwolowiec
01-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Is anyone else disappointed that the market has abandoned standalone Pocket PCs as much as I am? Why must we have a device that does so many things and not anything exceptional? I myself don't need a laptop or push email...a Pocket PC is ideal for me. I have free wi-fi with my att dsl if I want email I can log on at a hotspot...so now the consumer has to settle for what the carrier provides and have to pay a data plan. I don't like that business model. I hope the Itouch can provide a viable alternative...who or what is even available with Windows Mobile Classic beside the HP Ipaq 100 and 200 series?

JPD6825
01-03-2008, 05:08 AM
I too am bummed out that the PPC appears to be fading away. I'm clinging to my X50v running WM2003SE as long as I can.

I love it.

If only the battery lasted a lot longer...

But I am also just somewhat disappointed with WinMobile in general.

If only it could do just a couple more things...

It seems to me that the PPC just didn't catch on in the business world. It seems to have been largely relegated to toy status.

Maybe if I come into some serious cash I'll move up to an IMate Ultimate some day. Dream on!

Darius Wey
01-04-2008, 03:53 AM
TWhether this will also apply to the iTouch is unknown to me.

The SDK applies to both the iPhone and iPod touch, and it will allow third-party applications to exist legitimately on said devices.