View Full Version : Time For Another eBook Poll

Ed Hansberry
12-23-2007, 06:00 PM
It has been <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13550">over 4 years since my last ebook poll</a> and I thought I'd see if any trends are changing. Portable eBooks really launched on PDAs with Peanut Press in the late 90's (which became Palm Reader and is now <a href="http://www.ereader.com">eReader.com</a> on PalmOS devices, then later on Windows CE based devices. MS got into it heavy with MS Reader, including it in the ROM of Pocket PCs beginning in 2000 and continuing for several versions. MS has seemingly backed away from it though. Amazon got out of ebooks for various platforms, though they recently launched their own platform called the Kindle. I personally find my enthusiasm for ebooks has waned of late. I still buy several ebooks a year, but honestly, when I want to sit down and read, I prefer paper. I like the way it smells and feels, especially in a good quality book. How about you?

schmenge
12-23-2007, 06:28 PM
I answered "more than 1/2..........." Two things keep me from being(close to) 100%: I don't always feel like laying out $15+ dollars for a new release when I can get it from the library for no cost. Second, and a distant second, is that the airlines don't make me turn off my book during take off and landing. :wink:

jdhill
12-23-2007, 06:31 PM
Ed,

You might want to add another response to your poll. I don't read e-books, but I listen to digital audio books from Audible all of the time (using the Audible software on my Pocket PC). I have a long daily commute (two hour round trip every day) and get a lot of reading done this way that otherwise I would never have the time to do.

Jason Dunn
12-23-2007, 06:57 PM
I was never heavy into eBooks: I dabbled a bit, and I still like the concept, but so far every single hardware and software solution has been screwed up in some way or another. Amazon's Kindle is close - give it another 2-4 years to evolve and I think they may have the magic eBook solution. Although I should add that as someone who has different books/magazines around the house, the real solution for the Kindle is that it needs to get cheap enough to have a few laying around the house.

unxmully
12-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Since I upgraded my 4700 to WM6, I've started reading eReader books again when I can't use travel time for study. It's still a decent platform, though the navigation pad on the 4700 is a bit painful to use, but the real problem with eBooks is still DRM lock in.

It's OK when you chose a device that has a port of the reader for your books but if it doesn't, well your pretty much stuck either not being able to read your books or not using your device of choice. eReader don't support Linux at all so the N770 and any variants are out in the cold.

Hence my lack of interest in any of the current ebook devices which won't read eReader DRM locked books. Until that's sorted out, I'm not keen on the whole idea. If I invest in one, I want to be able to read pretty much every format available and that's not the case.

But I do like being able to carry a book collection with me so that I have something to read in the odd moments I find during my day.

cab124
12-23-2007, 08:01 PM
I recently tried re-installing MS Reader on my Axim x50v and tried activating it, however, I was told that I have exceeded my 6 device limit. So, I was able to activate it using a different live.com account. But, since I forgot and loaded it onto an SD card instead of into main memory, I still can't open my ebooks. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling in memory, but still can't open my ebooks. So, I gave up. I am just sorry I spend any money on all these ebooks that I can no longer read.

I really like the concept of ebooks and if there were a good solution that worked well, I would use it. I prefer to have my library with me rather than at home on a shelf.

rlobrecht
12-23-2007, 09:10 PM
I'm with schmenge, most of my paper reading is while I'm traveling. I voted more than half, but my ebook reading is probably more like 80%. Almost all of my ebook reading is eReader. The software is nice (especially the latest version with OTA purchasing and downloading) and their DRM is sensible. I can still read books I purchased 5 years ago, just by unlocking it again with my credit card, or even having the system re-encrypt with my new credit card number.

njakobs
12-23-2007, 09:39 PM
I read ebooks on my HTC Touch all the time. Thinking back I don't think I have read a paper book in the last 2-3 years, and I read alot! The biggest aspect for me is that it is right there in my pocket when I have the spare time to read.

Only problems come with technical books with images and diagrams. Bring on phones with buitin projectors I say :wink:

markvan
12-23-2007, 10:47 PM
I'm sure I can count on my one hand how many "real" books I have read since 1999. That is the time I started reading books on my Palm and quickly moved to a PPC.

This year I've read about 20 actual books and countless articles save of the web/email for reading on my 2 hour commute each work day.

Now I've had a VGA PPC ever since they first came out and the print on there is crisp and clear and very easy to read.

I've bypassed the whole DRM issue and only read books in txt or html format, and use uBook reader to do this.

For the books I can't find online I buy the book and convert it to html for reading on my PPC. I don't do this very often anymore, so I wrote a quick guide to remind myself how it is done: http://www.jaml.com/eBook

I don't understand why all the readers coming out are so large. An ebook reader needs to be the size of a PPC so that it can be light and easy to hold and you can take it with you. Sure the size limitations are that it is best for reading text only books, but I read technical books on my PPC all the time with only minor issues.

So I'm pretty much 100% digital and will probably stay that way.

Cheers
Mark

emuelle1
12-23-2007, 11:18 PM
I recently wrote an entry for my blog about this topic. I have nothing against ebooks, but DRM, lack of a dependable, universal platform, content, and pricing keep me from ebooks. Some books are best to be held, but I could just as easily adapt to an electronic format.

Lately I've been downloading public domain books from Manybooks.net and republishing them in Repligo to read on my 6945. I currently have War and Peace loaded. That ought to keep me busy for a while.

I would gladly adopt ebooks, but I have to know that the reader will be supported, and my content will move from device to device and WM release to WM release. The thought occured to me, what if, in 2003, I bought into an ebook platform for my iPaq 3765 with WM2002? Would my content have moved through my other devices, or would it have been locked to that Pocket PC?

I'll happily adopt ebooks when my personal concerns are addressed.

psyjohn
12-24-2007, 02:48 AM
I do enjoy reading paper books and have many on the shelves that I hope to finish one of these days, but I find it's just much easier to find time to read on my PDA. It is always with me so any down time during the day can be spent reading. The biggest advantage for me though is that I don't need any external light source; I love to read in bed at night, but a bedside lamp bothers my wife who is not a nighttime reader.

I use MS Reader and generally don't have a lot of complaints. Once in a while it locks all my books, but a soft reset solves that. And on rare occasions I have to go through the activation process again for no apparent reason. That frustrates the heck out of me at the time, but for the most part I find MS Reader to be a good format. I've been using it since my Jornada days so maybe it's just the familiarity I like. It did provide the means to finish Bill Clintons HUGE autobiography -- something I was unable to do with my paper copy.

One other benefit of reading on my PDA is the ability to quickly convert Word documents to MS Reader format. I read a lot of lengthy journal articles and the automatic bookmarking makes it very convenient to finish an article over a few days intermittent reading.

gracefrabove
12-24-2007, 03:31 AM
I’ve been 100% eBook for some time now. For work I carry a SmartPhone or PocketPc Phone either in my pants pocket or in a holster, but my handy dandy “can’t leave home without it” HP iPaq Pocket PC is always in my shirt pocket. I use this iPaq with its large screen almost exclusively for reading. It hosts my QuickVerse Bible – I haven’t used a paper bible for a couple years now, and it hosts my eReader app with all my ebooks. I am extremely happy with the iPaq sans phone capabilities for a number of reasons:
1. The form factor doesn’t lend itself much to a phone device – too large; but the screen size is great for reading.
2. When my wife is trying to fall asleep beside me and doesn’t want to be bothered by a bedside light in the eyes I can read to my heart’s content without bothering her.
3. I can put a book down and go back to it a week later and pickup exactly where I left off, automatically bookmarked by my eReader app.
4. Even in the old days I didn’t always carry a paper bible or a paper book around with me, but I do always have my iPaq so my Bible and all my favorite books, plus eWallet, and my music is only a shirt pocket away.
5. When I’m on an airplane I can actually read an ebook or my bible and listen to my music at the same time and from the same device, and by the way the iPaq has excellent battery life. I've done this a number of time, for me it's the only way to fly.
6. I recently picked up a paper book that I’ve had for a couple years but never read. I was considering reading it since it isn’t available in eBook format, but the mustiness and dust mites immediately caused me to put it down. I never have this problem with my ebook.
I couldn’t be any happier with eReader eBooks. Microsoft’s version never came close, and pdf and html just doesn’t come close in richness or simple features. My one wish is that the licensing wasn’t so closely tied to my credit/debit card. Because I’ve switched cards several times over the years I now have a library of books with many different unlock codes and have to keep a matrix just to remember what old expired card unlock which book.

schmenge
12-24-2007, 04:13 AM
You can go to your eReader Bookshelf and reset all unlock codes to your current card. :)

disconnected
12-24-2007, 04:43 AM
I'm in the more than half ebooks category. It's probably at least 70% and would be more like 90% if more books were available as ebooks. The only times paper books are necessary for me are on planes during takeoff and landing or outside on sunny days.

Most of my books are in ereader format, because the DRM is the least bothersome. I'll buy MSLit if it's the only format available for something I really want to read. Mobipocket is even more annoying, and also the largest font is still too small on my VGA ppc.

I do think the prices are too high. In most cases I could buy a new hardcover from Amazon for less than the ebook, but it doesn't stop me from buying the ebook. I'm at a stage in life where I'm trying to downsize, so I give away all my paper books after I read them. Since ebooks don't take up any physical space, I can keep them all, although I realize that someday I could lose them all due to format incompatibility.

alese
12-24-2007, 08:48 AM
I don't read ebooks exclusively, but I really like the convenience, so I even bought UMPC (Raon Everun) mainly for reading and surfing...

I guess I could get a PDA instead, but I wanted something with big hi-res screen, that can read as much formats as possible and is capable of real Web browsing...

kalle
12-24-2007, 03:07 PM
I read ebooks exclusively. Mostly technical ebooks about software and software developement and mostly in CHM and RepliGo format. Being a software developer I have to read a lot, but I dislike technical paper books for their sizes and especially weight.
Speaking about fiction books I prefer ebooks either. I don't mind feel and smell, but I like to have a lot of books in my pocket to choose from when I'm on the way and want to read something. For fiction books I prefer FB2 (Haali and Alreader) file format and iSilo PDB format

Don't Panic!
12-24-2007, 04:06 PM
I bought 1 paper book in 2007 amd about 24 ebookd. Baen.com has the genre I enjoy with no DRM nonsense.

yawanag
12-24-2007, 05:51 PM
I recently tried re-installing MS Reader on my Axim x50v and tried activating it, however, I was told that I have exceeded my 6 device limit. So, I was able to activate it using a different live.com account. But, since I forgot and loaded it onto an SD card instead of into main memory, I still can't open my ebooks. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling in memory, but still can't open my ebooks. So, I gave up. I am just sorry I spend any money on all these ebooks that I can no longer read.

I really like the concept of ebooks and if there were a good solution that worked well, I would use it. I prefer to have my library with me rather than at home on a shelf.

I am with you on this, all the way. I had books installed on my WM 2003 and when I upgraded to WM2005 I havaen't been able to read them since. Microsoft is aware of this and has done nothing.

I have books I had just purchased before I got WM5. What a waste of money now that I can't read them.

SteveHoward999
12-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Problems with MSReader Activation? Two things:-

1 - Unless they took down the web site, you just need to request an extra activation from Microsoft.

2 - Once activated, you can save 4 files then restore them whenever you do a hard reset. The files are all in the Windows directory of your PocketPC:-

secrep.dat
secrep.dll
secrep.xml
secrepid.dat

I have a 5th file in my MSReader backup folder called Microsoft Activation.unload which I restore too, but I'm uncertain if that file is needed.

SteveHoward999
12-24-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm 100% ebooks, and have been for about 5 years. I read well over 50 books a year on my devices. I've read 5 in the last 10 days (been off work, sick!).

Mostly I use my Toshiba E830 and MS Reader, but recently I've also been using my Nokia phones (E62 and 6682) with MobiReader. I've discovered I really like the ability to set tthe text and backgroupnd colours in MobiReader ... I set them to black background, white text. This gives excelent contrast in all lighting conditions - bright sunlight fown to bedtime reading.

I have to admit, though, that I probably read more 'free' books than books I pay for. It makes no sense to me to pay the same or even a higher price for an electronic book compared to the paper version, plus some books are simply not officially available electronically.

I don't plan to buy a dedicated reader device. I carry a phone and/or my PDA everywhere with me, and just love the ability to instantly entertain myself, even if it's only while I wait 5 minutes for my coffee in Starbucks :-)

People complain about DRM on MSReader books, but that is easy to get around, although we are not allowed to mention the software that strips the DRM on this forum :-) PM me if you want to know about it :-) As far as I am concerned, I paid for the book, so I can read it any way I choose.

I've also found various software for converting books to different formats - this has been handy for getting books from MSReader to MobiPocket format, for instance. I know not everyone wants to mess around with that sort of thing, but I'm happy to tinker.

Ed Hansberry
12-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Problems with MSReader Activation? Two things:-

1 - Unless they took down the web site, you just need to request an extra activation from Microsoft.
Still there.

http://das.microsoft.com/activate/en-us/extraDefault.asp

ctitanic
12-25-2007, 03:16 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2326/2133870789_85ec72e7cf_o.jpg

A picture says more than 1000 words.

the experience of reading a eBook in a e-paper screen can't be compared to what we have been doing in our Pocket PC and UMPC. And I will tell you more the Amazon formula, a device that does not need a PC at all, will change the eBook market for ever.

SteveHoward999
12-25-2007, 04:58 AM
[quote="ctitanic"]
[quote]

Sure does.

That device is not remotely pocketable. Far too big for commuting or reading on the plane. Way too big and clumsy to read in bed compared to a PDA or phone. If it was my only electronic reading option, I'd stick to paparbacks!

ctitanic
12-25-2007, 05:26 AM
It's about the size of a paperback. It was not mean to be pocketable and to be honest nobody cares about that. What everybody cares is about a enjoyable reading experience.

Just read what you are saying, you prefer a paperback over this device that is about the same size than a paperback and where you can keep 1000 of them. And that's not all. A device where you can buy a book at any time you like and have it ready to read in less than a minute. without having to connect to your PC, sync, or anything like that. A device which screen looks like paper and it's readable under the sun. A device with screen that has more DPI than your pocket pc or even your PC.

Listen I have been a Pocket Pc owner for a long time and I own a UMPC Since the first one was released to the market, and I will say it again nothing compares to the experience of reading in one of these devices with a e-paper screen. If you want to stay with you paperback or with your Pocket PC, good for you. You will find what you have been missing when your see one with your own eyes and hold one in your own hands.

ctmagnus
12-25-2007, 05:39 AM
But can you highlight, bookmark, annotate, etc. on the Kindle? If so, how does one back up that information?

ctitanic
12-25-2007, 05:48 AM
But can you highlight, bookmark, annotate, etc. on the Kindle? If so, how does one back up that information?

Yes, you can do all that.

When the Backup of Annotations feature is Enabled, Kindle periodically makes a copy of all your notes and bookmarks you make on any of your content you purchased from Amazon.com. If you delete a piece of content from your Kindle or your Kindle is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can automatically restore your annotations when you download the original items from Your Media Library.

link (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200137050)

You can backup your annotations into your SD card too.

follick
12-25-2007, 06:10 AM
It was not mean to be pocketable and to be honest nobody cares about that.

You know better than that.

With portable devices there is always a tradeoff between portability and performance. You know that different people will have different tolerances for size, weight and "pocketability." Most people will try to find the highest performing device (subject to cost considerations) that is within their size tolerance.

For some people anything larger than a tiny smartphone is too big. For others, a 4" VGA PDA is as big as they can go. Others can tolerate an even larger device like a kindle or UMPC.

Even if the Kindle is the highest quality ebookreader device in history, if a person won't have it when they want to read because it is too big for that person to carry around, then it is useless for that person.

If page size, clarity and resolution were all that mattered we would all be reading ebooks on large high-resolution screens attached to desktops and no one would buy a kindle. I don't see a whole lot of people reading ebooks that way though.

bmurphy
12-25-2007, 06:16 AM
I have gone to e-books almost exclusively! My preferred reader is eReader, then it goes to MSReader, Mobipocket last. I've recently upgraded to the HTC Advantage, not so much for the phone, but more for the 5" screen 8) and it is my primary reader now! Love it! :D
I find that I like no hands reading- and reading in bed is great!
I've bought close to 1000 books on a couple of sites and have not quite that much with MSReader.
The main pleasure is that I can pick and choose what I want to read, when I'm travelling and even in the early hours of the morning- I can choose, download and start to read.
Baen.com started me on my e-books back in 2001 and I've never gone back. Fictionwise has a great site with lots of rebates and sales and If I can't find it (author or book) to purchase I can always search for it in .lit form. The Kindle looks interesting, but for me- I am really happy with my 5" screen that I don't need to look for anything else.

ctitanic
12-25-2007, 06:20 AM
follick, If what you say is real why you don't see books with a size of a Pocket Pc? you don't see them because studies have shown that the majority of people think that it's very uncomfortable to read a book of that size. People prefers a book about the size of a paperback. That's why electronic book readers are all about a paperback size.

eBook Reader Matrix (http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix)

c1oudrs
12-25-2007, 07:53 PM
While the HTC Advantage falls just short in so many areas, it really shines as an e-book reader/web browsing device because of the 5-inch screen. I use the Advantage to shop online more often than with a pc. I use the Advantage (with u-book program)to read e-books (or sometimes convert ebooks to an audiobook). What stops me from doing all my reading on the Advantage is drm. I'm another Baen book / no drm/ yes fair use/ webscription fan. But unfortunately some good books are by other publishers than Baen. Those I buy paperback when I must.

markvan
12-25-2007, 11:29 PM
[quote="ctitanic"]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2326/2133870789_85ec72e7cf_o.jpg

quote]

I'm with SteveHoward999. This device is huge and unwieldly compared to my Dell X51v.

I looks like that photo was taken out of doors, and I must say the screen looks great in comparison to the 2 PPC's. But I do most of my reading in doors. So that is not a concern for me. And in door reading the PPC must look a lot better with it's full range of color compared to the Kindle's 4 levels of grey. Also the DPI on my X51v(216) is far superior to the Kindle's(167).

I think the only things the Kindle has going for it is that it is readable outdoors and has a decent way of ordering books and handling DRM.

But as neither of these reasons affect me, I will stick with my PPC for reading ebooks for now.

ctitanic
12-25-2007, 11:46 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2007/2135892295_79ea4a1219.jpg

markvan
12-26-2007, 01:17 AM
Forgot to mention I have the type setting on my X51v set really small. (I got my eyes lasered about 6 years ago.) So the amount of words I see on a page are probably more than what is viewable on the Kindle in the picture.

So I guess it really comes down to the user of the device. How good their eyes are and how/when they are going to use it. I like the PPC because it can be used with one hand easily, is portable and has a better resolution (which my eyes can handle).

Ed Hansberry
12-26-2007, 12:25 PM
To each his own ctitanic. Not everyone wants to carry a device as large as the kindle, and not everyone wants to read a screen as small as a Pocket PC.

The kindle isn't for everyone. Glad you like it though. It is what choice is all about.

ctitanic
12-26-2007, 03:36 PM
To each his own ctitanic. Not everyone wants to carry a device as large as the kindle, and not everyone wants to read a screen as small as a Pocket PC.

The kindle isn't for everyone. Glad you like it though. It is what choice is all about.

You are absolutely right.

I just wanted to show that out there are other worlds. When you are a reader and you carry around a paperback, to carry a Kindle or a Sony, or any of the others, its not an issue. The contrary you have the satisfaction of knowing that now you are carrying not one paperback but hundred of them.

I know that for some, to carry it in a Pocket it's a bigger satisfaction. I was satisfied too for long time but in my case I found that those cases where the illumination did not allow me to see what was on the screen were far more than what I would liked to have. It was enough for me to sit close to a door or inside of my car or in the gazebo I have near the pool in my backyard (my preferred place). Now I have gained back all those places where to read in my x51v or in my Samsung Q1 was just a dream. I do not have to sit any more in the dark.

DaveStall
12-28-2007, 01:32 AM
I have been reading most of my books in electronic form since I discovered Peanut Press shortly after I bought my Palm III. The sole reason I migrated to the PocketPC platform was for the better screen to improve my ebook experience. I bought a Rocket Ebook at one point, but support quickly evaporated and the thing was way to large to be a practical mobile reading platform.

I gave up on MS Reader a long time ago, and I now read 90% of my books with Mobipocket Reader and the other 10% with Ereader Pro. Mobipocket has a fantastic conversion utility to get nearly any format into the Mobi format. I also don't have to deal with MS DRM hoops. I have never had a single issue with my purchased Ereader or Mobi books, even when changing to a brand new device so I don't see how DRM concerns are much of an issue as long as you avoid MS Reader.

bigkingfun
12-28-2007, 10:18 PM
I used to read a lot of ebooks on my Pocket PC. I would almost always go looking for an ebook version of any book I wanted before I bought the printed version.

Over the last couple of years, that's changed pretty significantly. I don't read anything on my Pocket PC anymore. I still read a lot of ebooks but almost always in PDF format, and in most cases I print them out to read them.

There are several reasons I quit reading ebooks on my PPC. First, I started working from home so I have a lot less idle time than I did when I was commuting. I also always have a computer close at hand, so it's easier to read on a large screen if I want to read something electronic.

I also prefer the feel of paper, and no matter how good the screen is a PPC can't measure up to the visual quality.

There's also no DRM issues with paper. I used to have to mess around with things every now and then to reactivate MS Reader or to dig up the password and credit card number needed to open Peanut Press ebooks. Short of losing the book, there's really nothing that can stop me from reading a real book.

And lastly, part of the reason I used to read ebooks so much was the W?BIC! factor (is that still used here? I might be dating myself a little :wink: ). I'm a lot less interested in doing something just because I can than I used to be. Now I'd rather do something because it's more efficient/effective.

SteveHoward999
12-28-2007, 10:40 PM
Now I'd rather do something because it's more efficient/effective.

Interesting how we all differ so much in our preferences.

I've been working from home all of this century (!!!). I often travel with my work, so reading in the airport or wherever is a joy with my phone or PDA as carrying 100 books takes a whole lot less space than carrying even one bulky paperback.

I spend the working day at my PC or laptop. I'm happy to be able to lie on the floor, on the couch, sit on the porch, lie in bed ... etc reading. Can't really do all of that in comfort with the laptop.

I cannot ***stand*** pdf as a book format. I find every other eBook format I've used more efficient, easier to use, more pleasant etc. And I certainly won't be printing out 500 page book on A4 or Letter paper for oh so many reasons, not least of which is sheer bulk :-)

I do actually have one physical reason why I prefer phone and/or PDA for reading my books. I have nerve issues that mean I find it hard to hold on to a book for more than a few minutes without experiencing pins and needles in my hands and pain in my elbows. For whatever reason I don't have the same issue with handheld devices ...

... then there's the hassle of turning pages v's stroking a toggle switch ;-)

Mona13
12-29-2007, 01:33 AM
I exclusively read ebooks and have since my first PPC 6 years or so. I love not having the weight of a paperback. Plus if I was almost fnished with one, I had to carry two.

My husband likes me not keeping him awake at night while I read.

I read MSReader books the first year or two, hit the "activation" issue and went searching. Found Peanut Press, now eReader and never looked back. eReader is awesome. They have good sales, good DRM, and I can download my books whenever I want. I use the pro-reader and purchase/download straight to my Tilt.

I hope they're here to stay. I'd go into withdrawal. i read a lot and would really miss them.

Mona13

KH
12-29-2007, 05:32 AM
I have enjoyed this thread. I have been reading eooks since the formats were truly fledgling - I lost quite a few books to defunct formats and purchased this again when they resurfaced elsewhere - and Ed once suggested I was giving eReader/Palm/Peanut Press much of their funding (and I still don't want my family to know the $$$ invested!). So, >10 years and counting. eReader is my favorite (and now, only) encrypted format. Pocket PCs are too easily replaced and I don't want to have to get permission to reactivate my books. BTW (and sorry if someone has mentioned this and I passed it by) eReader books can be read on PCs. Not that I would want to - I have several IPAQs that can be preesed into service - but it adds a level of security about the format. I love Baen Books too - has anyone noticed they picked up the PC Hodgell books (Godstalk, etc - fabulous!) from Meisha Merlin, and now the Subterranean Press line? Fictionwise is also great - and they have many incentives. I have made great progress toward replacing my library electronically.

SteveHoward999
12-29-2007, 07:37 AM
does it bother you ... tired eyes ...

Not in the slightest. I wear glasses all the time because I am short-sighted. But my near vision is fine so typically I read on my devices without wearing glasses - and that includes when I have MS reader set to it's most tiny on my E830 set to true VGA.

buzzard
12-29-2007, 05:52 PM
Well I want to thank everyone here because you've inspired me to buy/read my first ebook. I've found that as long as its a good book I can read it even while sitting in front of the TV at night, a major accomplishment for me. Most of my reading has been my 20+ magazine subscriptions and internet "stuff" but the ebook has taken me back many years to when I read hard copy books all the time.

Not to seem negative but I'll have to wait and see if I keep this up or stop because I'm back to work later next week. :roll:

bmurphy
12-30-2007, 07:32 AM
I think that this has been a good thread... there have been many different opinions- 8) Well, why not?
I think that the true dedicated reader (or e-reader)... has moved to a slightly larger screen, and still is on an unconverged device - (that is my experience). I'm on a farm... and a small island- so I don't need to do GPS (I know where I'm going- in fact it's usually only 6km!) so I don't need that for my HTC Advantage, and only if I'm expecting a delivery- do I take my phone with me- so that isn't needed in the Advantage- But it is absolutely great with the 5" screen- and I've used a TrueVGA hack (that was recommended on forums), so I have control of even MSReader. I read on my UMPC laptop- or the Advantage, depending on where I am in the house, or car or ferry.... or waiting in the bank... and I don't have to worry about what the cover is showing about my preference- largely SF/ Fantasy. I passed my Axim to my son (I didn't think I'd ever), and the Advantage is my alarm, as well as my appointment reminder- if I don't enter it- it often slips by! :lol: All I could find of one book- was AAReader, and that I read on my UMPC- it doesn't work well on the WM6 platform-
All that to say that I'm a dedicated e-format reader (well, who wouldn't be if the trip to a decent bookstore is a all day affair?) :)

mysticzzz
12-30-2007, 01:51 PM
I Almost exclusively read Ebooks, as does my wife and 2 children. As you get older it is nice to be able to adjust your font size. My wife has problems with her arms holding a book for very long, and the ebooks are great for her. I read 2 or three ebooks a week, and when i ocassionally read a paper book, i findmyself missing my pda. I use mobipocket exclusively, i gave up on microsoft reader.

Russ Smith
12-30-2007, 03:11 PM
I went essentially paperless several years ago and ebooks were a part of that. I'm a voracious reader and ebooks allow me to take advantage of that virtually anywhere. I can't carry a pile of paperbacks with me, but I can carry the equivalent of same for those long lines at the checkout (and now at the "returns" desk :)) or anywhere else I've got a few moments. Unfortunately, there are still some authors (or their publishers) that ignore or refuse the ebook route, forcing me to return to the printed page.

bmurphy
12-30-2007, 04:52 PM
I went essentially paperless several years ago and ebooks were a part of that. I'm a voracious reader and ebooks allow me to take advantage of that virtually anywhere. I can't carry a pile of paperbacks with me, but I can carry the equivalent of same for those long lines at the checkout (and now at the "returns" desk :)) or anywhere else I've got a few moments. Unfortunately, there are still some authors (or their publishers) that ignore or refuse the ebook route, forcing me to return to the printed page.

I agree that there are some publishers that have ignored the ebook route! I have inquired from the author that I wanted, and it depends on the publisher- so I've gone to the publisher and made a request- also to the stores... Fictionwise is especially good about getting requests. I've found several authors that I wouldn't have if I had stuck to paperbacks (Australian authors- for one- I see now that paperbacks of that particular author are available, but I was a couple of years ahead of that!) :D

Sheena
01-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Although my response to the poll was "more than half", it's almost 100% except for graphic novels &amp; manga &amp; some tech manuals, but the issue is availability, not preference. I recently upgraded from an iPaq 2210 to the HTC Advantage &amp; as much as I enjoy all the extra features, the only reason to cough up all that $$$ was because of that gorgeous huge VGA screen. My old eyes are very grateful.

On software, I use uBook almost exclusively. Whatever books I get that are DRM'd get promptly zapped down to html or rtf, so I'm still buying them on lit format since it's the only one I know how to zap. :oops: I'll give you a call, Steve.

For hardware, I welcome things like the Kindle because the future will certainly be digitized. No, I don't intend to buy one, it's too big, too expensive, too plain (feature-wise), etc, but anything that can hook people into ebooks is a step in the right direction. As has been discussed here already, personal preferences go from the tiny to the very big, there's room for all. I eagerly await the waterproof floating screen that can follow me to the bath. :lol:

In any case I expect for everyone the #1 reason for ebooks is the size/space convenience. Lots of choices without carrying around pounds of printed stuff. Oh, and God knows I could recover oodles of extra space in my tiny apartment if I could digitize the hundreds of books filling every shelf, box &amp; corner. And yes, I've bookmarked Mark's guide, but I want a way to scan without destroying the books, even if it's slow &amp; painstaking.

Publishers may be afraid of people copying their stuff for free, but those of us that bought books before still buy them today &amp; will still buy them tomorrow. I certainly would buy more ebooks if the availability &amp; prices were better since I wouldn't have to worry about where the hell I'm going to put them.

Rosie

dwswager
01-09-2008, 04:21 AM
I have returned to the PPC fold with an Asus A696 after giving up my Ipaq 3630 some years ago. I am currently reading two ebooks on my PPC Ludwig Von Mises' Beauracracy and Orwell's Homage to Catalonia. I download free texts and convert to MobiPocket format. I read ebooks because I can steel 10 minutes here and there and I normally have my PPC with me.

I am thinking of purchasing my first commercial ebook and would love to be able to buy more but:

We need two formats: high def and low def and both need to be readable by all software and hardware devices. When we buy a book, we should be able to read it on any device.Universal selection. Torques me not to find a particular book I want available, especially in the format I need. That is a double whammy.We need a decent solution to the copyright issues. Maybe an ICANN like universal registry for devices or something.Price. I know goods are not priced on production costs, but there should be major savings in ebook publishing versus paper. Especially not having to schedule production runs, over stock, storage, shipping and handling. The incremental cost of ebooks is almost $0. I have a hard time popping the same price for a digital file as for a hardback book. Maybe it's just psychological, but there it is.

SteveHoward999
01-09-2008, 06:05 AM
We need two formats: high def and low def and both need to be readable by all software and hardware devices. When we buy a book, we should be able to read it on any device.

Why high and low definition? The books are stored as text, not images. The only images are 'cover' images, and any pictures that might be included in the books. For story books, the jpg images are usually small enough and of sufficient quality for mobile and desktop use.

I also think that when we buy a paper book we should have an option of getting an electronic version too. Many text books already do this - most commonly software titles (e.g. Flash Bible), at least in my own experience.