View Full Version : Vista/Windows Media Player 11 won't convert/sync Tivo to my pocket pc

anatomyman
12-19-2007, 05:26 AM
For the past year, I have been using Windows Media Player on my old WinXP desktop to convert/sync Tivo files (TV shows, 1 to 2 Gb) onto my Pocket PC (HP iPaq). The files were transferred from my Tivo Series 2 DVR using TivoToGo.

Now I am using a new laptop running Windows Vista (Ultimate edition). I have installed TivoToGo, and the Tivo Server transfers files, and the files play fine on Windows Media Player version 11.0.6000.6336. However, when I try to use WMP to convert and sync a transferred Tivo file, it fails. WMP shows "Error" next to the name of the file in the Sync view; but no specifics. When I ask for "Properties" of that file in the WMP Sync window, it shows "No digital rights information exists for this file" on a tab called "Media Usage Rights". What do I need to do in order to get WMP on this Vista machine to recognize and convert this file, same as WMP did on my WinXP computer?

If you simply access the Properties of the original file in the WMP Library view, without first trying to Sync the file, the Media Usage Rights information for this file says "This file is not protected."

The error occurs at the very beginning of the Conversion process.

As far as I know, Tivo files are MPEG format. I also have upgraded my installed TivoToGo on another PC, which means it can convert Tivo files to the new MPEG4. This format doesn't play on the PocketPC's WMP, though. Is there a player I could install on the PocketPC that would work better?

I can Activesync my PocketPC just fine with this Windows Vista machine - contacts, email, calendar, etc - so it doesn't appear to be a problem with the PocketPC.

Thanks in advance.

Cybrid
12-20-2007, 09:27 AM
For the past year, I have been using Windows Media Player on my old WinXP desktop to convert/sync Tivo files (TV shows, 1 to 2 Gb) onto my Pocket PC (HP iPaq). The files were transferred from my Tivo Series 2 DVR using TivoToGo.

Now I am using a new laptop running Windows Vista (Ultimate edition). I have installed TivoToGo, and the Tivo Server transfers files, and the files play fine on Windows Media Player version 11.0.6000.6336. However, when I try to use WMP to convert and sync a transferred Tivo file, it fails. WMP shows "Error" next to the name of the file in the Sync view; but no specifics. When I ask for "Properties" of that file in the WMP Sync window, it shows "No digital rights information exists for this file" on a tab called "Media Usage Rights". What do I need to do in order to get WMP on this Vista machine to recognize and convert this file, same as WMP did on my WinXP computer?

If you simply access the Properties of the original file in the WMP Library view, without first trying to Sync the file, the Media Usage Rights information for this file says "This file is not protected."

The error occurs at the very beginning of the Conversion process.

As far as I know, Tivo files are MPEG format. I also have upgraded my installed TivoToGo on another PC, which means it can convert Tivo files to the new MPEG4. This format doesn't play on the PocketPC's WMP, though. Is there a player I could install on the PocketPC that would work better?

I can Activesync my PocketPC just fine with this Windows Vista machine - contacts, email, calendar, etc - so it doesn't appear to be a problem with the PocketPC.

Thanks in advance.TCPMP or The CORE Player. When the error occurs you get no details?

anatomyman
12-21-2007, 05:12 AM
Cybrid:

Thanks VERY much for replying to my post.

Naw, the only message I get is the word "Error" next to the title of the file in the Windows Media Player's main Sync status window. It shows in the area where the current actions ("Converting....","Synchronizing...") are shown. Is there another place I can find the details besides 'Properties'?

Thanks for suggestions on other conversion software. I think that TCPMP stands for the The Core Pocket Media Player, right? Would it be able to convert the Tivo file, or would I use the TivoToGo Plus to convert to MPEG4, and use TCPMP to play the file?

I located it on a site called 'Softpedia", but if you think there is a better site to download it, let me know.

Cybrid
12-24-2007, 01:35 AM
TCPMP is a more robust media player for PPC. Convert to MPEG4 and play on TCPMP (0.72RC1).
You'll need the AAC plugin and I think ffmpeg.

dvdcatalyst
02-25-2008, 06:16 PM
I never managed to get tivo(2go) files to get converted to WMV at all, I did purchase the upgrade from tivo to make things easier for my ipod as well as ppc, but instead of using that, I added tivo support in DVD Catalyst 3.

Tivo files are protected with your MAC key, and when you install the ToGo software, it puts your MAC key into the decoding filter, allowing you to play the files normally. However, the decoding isnt really stable, and tends to have some issues once in a while on Windows Vista.