View Full Version : Good MP3 software and MP3 online sources for downloading?

MTHall49
12-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Well, I have my HP hx4700 and have no clue at all how to play and dowload MP3 music. I am also wondering if there is any particularly best bang for the buck for a wide range of music online. I have looked at a lot of "free" MP3 sites but don't think there is really anything I want to download from them.

Thanks.

Next I want to figure out how to download movie clips from You Tube as well as full length movies.

WIsh I knew of a great tutorial to cover all this stuff.

psyjohn
12-15-2007, 08:29 PM
MediaPlayer, RealPlayer or any of the other major PC music players can be used to rip music from CDs you own to your computer in mp3 format. I rarely every download music, but I have friends who regularly download from yahoo and amazon music stores.

Once you have the mp3's on your computer you can synch your pda with whichever music player you're using, but that has always been problematic for me. I prefer to use a card reader for my storage card and just drag and drop the mp3 files. I put mine in a folder called "my music" inside of "my documents", but you can set up your file structure to suit you.

Media player on your PDA should automatically find the mp3 files as long as you don't have them buried too deep in a file tree. A lot of people prefer many other music players over media player on PPC (I like MortPlayer) but I do think media player is fine for most listeners' ears.

For downloading videos from youtube do a search of the forums here. There was a discussion on that not too long ago.

For movie clips I like Pocket DVD Studio, but there are other apps that are probably just as good or better. I haven't actually watched videos on my device for a long time. Once the novelty wore off I decided that music was a better use of storage space on my SD card.

Hope that helps a little.

Don't Panic!
12-15-2007, 08:47 PM
I can't help with the online content but TCPMP (http://picard.exceed.hu/tcpmp/test/) can play just about anything you throw at it including Youtube videos with the proper codecs (http://www.aximsite.com/boards/multimedia/221132-all-known-codecs-tcpmp.html) installed. It's freeware.

MTHall49
12-15-2007, 10:42 PM
I surely appreciate all the help. This is completely untread territory for me.
I realize that in the last 10 years technology has passed me by, and now I want to catch up with a vengence. :)

Mark Larson
12-20-2007, 09:01 PM
I prefer emusic.com for DRM-free mp3s, and Amazon.com and iTunes also have some DRM-free music. Your Pocket PC should be able to play the unprotected AAC files from iTunes with TCPMP and the AAC plugin.

For downloading from Youtube, I use a Firefox plugin, but you can get an app to download straight to your Pocket PC. TCPMP will play the flv files with the FLV plugin.

m.youtube.com is also handy if it works on your device, it appears they have increased the amount of content on the mobile site recently.

I use TCPMP as well, but its not very handy for mp3s - I would prefer a more foobar-ish view of my music with the playlist displayed instead of the album art. I use pPod for playing mp3s along with Sony Ericsson's Disc2Phone software to convert my mp3s to 128k from whatever they are and put them in the proper folders. Oh, and I mostly use a proper mp3 player (Meizu M6 right now) because of the battery life, sound quality and features.

Whew. Long post, hope it helped.