View Full Version : How to remove stubborn apps that refuse to be removed???

MTHall49
12-15-2007, 05:56 PM
The only way I know to remove apps is just the usual method with the add/remove program feature. My hx4700 came with some apps I do not like and want to get rid of, but I can't seem to get them to remove.

Any good freeware, or fairly good priced app that will do this? Or is there another way?

schmenge
12-15-2007, 09:12 PM
The only way I know to remove apps is just the usual method with the add/remove program feature. My hx4700 came with some apps I do not like and want to get rid of, but I can't seem to get them to remove.

Any good freeware, or fairly good priced app that will do this? Or is there another way?

I assume that the programs are not showing up in the installed programs list? If that is the case, then those programs are installed to ROM. The only way you can get rid of them is to perform a hard reset and then when your Pocket PC begins to install the customized programs reset again to prevent those from being installed. Unfortunately, this means that all of the optional programs will be aborted.

MTHall49
12-15-2007, 10:39 PM
I purchased a CD on eBay that is on the way, and supposedly has a lot of stuff on it including the OS. What concerns me is whether or not I will be able to get everything I want back on here again.

Two questions:
Is it possible to selectively wipe out portions of ROM?
Will having the extra apps stored in ROM that I don't want, slow down the performance of my PDA, or would only RAM installed stuff slow it down?

schmenge
12-15-2007, 10:43 PM
I purchased a CD on eBay that is on the way, and supposedly has a lot of stuff on it including the OS. What concerns me is whether or not I will be able to get everything I want back on here again.

Two questions:
Is it possible to selectively wipe out portions of ROM?
Will having the extra apps stored in ROM that I don't want, slow down the performance of my PDA, or would only RAM installed stuff slow it down?

No way to selectively wipe out portions that I am aware of. Very little benefit. With WM5 and later getting stuff out of ROM can provide a little bit more storage memory, but other than that there is no impact unless a program is loading something on startup. But if you do not sue that program you can generally eliminate imate the startup as well. Sometimes you can find cabs of all the things that are installed in a hard reset (the OEM stuff). In that case you could reset, abort the customized stuff and then manually install what you want.