View Full Version : [hx2790] CF or SD (which speed?)

myuser
12-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Currently i have a SD 1GB (66x) card in my hx2790, which supports SD (NOT SDHD) and CF-cards.

Now i want to buy a 4GB card. However, im facing some questions i couldn't easily find on the internet.
Maybe some of u guys can help me answer some of those:

1) The usual SD vs CF comparison. I know both are good, but i read multiple times that the CF-cards are more vulnerable to damage because of the more pins they have. Is that true?
2) The speed: i now have a 66x speed card, which is a pain in the ass. It way to slow. Im wondering if there will be a difference between 66x and 266x. I know that it theoretically should, but maybe my iPAQ (or activesync) is the speed-limiting factor. Anyone have a say about this?

PS: im not planing to use my memory slots for anything other than storage.

Nurhisham Hussein
12-13-2007, 01:29 AM
Good questions!

1) Where did you read this? In 3 years+ of using SD/CF cards, this is the first time I've ever heard of this issue. FWIW, I've had quite a few SD cards go bad (file system disappears, contacts worn), while my CF cards have kept going strong.

2) If you're using AS to transfer files, no wonder you find it slow. Invest in a card reader - it's worth it. For onboard use on your particular device, it doesn't really matter what speed the cards are, the max transfer speeds you'll get are around 20x-30x (this may have changed with SDHC slots). The limitation is the hardware and drivers. The kicker is when transferring files through a card reader, you'll get the full benefit of a faster card which makes the investment worthwhile - I'm not kidding, the difference in speed can be mind boggling.

myuser
12-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Thnx for the reply!

I cant exactly remember where i read that CF is more easily damaged, but im sure i read it on 2-3 websites. Well, i already thought that was ********.

I think ill go for a Kingston 266x CF card now :)