View Full Version : Exchange Server 2007 SP1 Now Available; New Features For Mobile Users!

Jon Westfall
12-03-2007, 12:14 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonlan/archive/2007/11/30/exchange-2007-service-pack-1-why-it-s-important-for-mobile-users.aspx' target='_blank'>http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonlan/arch...bile-users.aspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Exchange 2007 Service Pack 1 has just been released to the web for Download. It even made the front page of the latest Technet Magazine which is quite surprising for a Service Pack. There are many key enhancements in Service Pack 1 however from a mobile perspective there are some very important additions. With Service Pack 1 we have added 30+ new policies for Exchange Activesync. These new policies will require a future version of Windows Mobile (similar to System Center Mobile Device Manager 2008) however they can be implemented within your Exchange 2007 environment now ready for when that version becomes available."</i><br /><br />Ever want to lock down your users' devices so tight they'd need an atomic powered crowbar just to LOOK at the full list of restrictions they're under? Ever want to get revenge on those slicksters in sales that tie up your password reset line complaining that the complexity requirements are too complex? Ever wanted complete control over many aspects of users' mobile devices? Well, now you have it - almost! The list of new policies that can be implemented in SP1 is quite interesting. Everything from killing desktop activesync and wi-fi to maintaining a blocklist of applications you'd prefer your users don't play around with. However we'll have to wait until a future version of Windows Mobile to fully wield the power. But at least you can start configuring your mobile empire now...<br /><br />Oh yea - the rest of the list of new features in SP1 is pretty nice too. I'll be upgrading my box soon ;)

Tony Rylow
12-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Oh yeah?? You'll be upgrading your box soon??