View Full Version : Contacts soft key on Today screen not working - HELP!

bananasplit
11-24-2007, 11:42 AM
I have an HTC TyTN running WM6. I noticed only the past couple of days when I either tap on the Contacts from the Today screen or press the button below it, it gives me an error "Error opening the shortcut or locating the target filename. See screenshot from link below. The Calendar works fine. I have not made any registry changes (I don't even have any software installed ot do that). This has happened very recently and I'm not sure what triggered it, or how to rectify the problem.

Hope anyone here can help. Thanks.

http://www.slide.com/r/0EaGOkbQzj9ZXTRFS4KkRgGUzVVqeAhv?previous_view=mscd_embedded_url&view=original

schmenge
11-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Assuming that the contacts application works fine otherwise (i.e. from the Start menu) the registry key is probably wrong/corrupt. I do not know where the key is, but there are several programs like SK Tools (www.s-k-tools.com) or iLauncher (www.sbsh.net) that allow you to map the key. If you have one of those, and if you don't you probably should :wink: , try using one of them to "remap" the key to contacts.

schmenge
11-24-2007, 04:50 PM
I poked around a bit and found this:

Change the Softkey Buttons (WM5)
Create the following keys and Strings in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Today\Keys\112
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Today\Keys\113
112 is the left key and 113 is the right. Now for each key create a new string named Open and set the target path.

If you try this, be sure to backup first.

bananasplit
11-24-2007, 11:33 PM
I tried this one...and was able to re-map the app to the soft key. Downloaded a free registry editor to do this.

Thanks a lot! :lol:

bananasplit
11-25-2007, 07:32 PM
does this work for the calendar too? Now when I tap on Calendar it's giving me:

"The file HTCCalendar" cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate, or one of its components cannot be found. If the problem persists, try reinstalling or restoring this file".

What is going on with my device??? :-(

schmenge
11-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Both the registry hacks and the programs I mentioned can set either soft key. Is HTC Calendar a different application than the normal calendaring application?