View Full Version : iPAQ Hx2490 Power Off Question

Lawman1965
11-17-2007, 12:01 AM
I have recently purchased an iPAQ 2490 to replace my Dell Axim X51 that died.

On the Axim there is an option to do a complete power off - you simply hold the power button for a while - 2 or 3 seconds I think - and the unit powers off completely. Is there such a feature on the iPAQ 2490? I've tried pushing the button but the thing keeps coming back off standby for the ActiveSync even if it's not connected.

I have applied a 'cheat' found on another forum in relation to setting a new ActiveSync server and then setting the update to manual - I wait with baited breath to see if this solves the powering up issue.

But I'd still like the option to completely power off.

Is there anyone that can advise me about this?

Rich

Russ Smith
11-29-2007, 03:51 AM
It's probably a combination of buttons and the reset. For instance, on the hx4700, you shut it completely off by simultaneously pressing Contacts, Messaging, and Reset. This was earlier know as a hard-reset because on non-WM6 machines, turning the power completely off also clears all memory and user-installed software. With WM6, you can opt to clear all memory or not.

phmurphy
11-30-2007, 02:28 PM
If you Activesync on the desktop is set to "sync continuously" then everytime you make a change to things like your calendar it will wake up your PDA and try to sync. I think you can overcome this by changing the Activesync to Manual mode.
In the Activesync window go to Options>Schedule and change settings to manual.

Russ Smith
11-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Looking at your model (2495). I think it runs WM5, not WM6, so you probably don't want to turn it off completely with the buttons and reset combination as this will also clear any user-installed data and programs (!!)

The standby uses very little power, but will drain the battery if left uncharged for more than a week. In that case, you would want to backup everything and do the hard-reset/shut down. When you return, you can restore your backup and start working with a nearly full battery(It might be 98% if left on the shelf for many months.), rather than having to restore anyway because your battery completely drained.

If you're worried about air travel, when they tell you to shut your phones off, etc., you can shut off WiFi and Bluetooth (with the iPAQ Wireless applet). (That's what they're concerned about anyway.)