View Full Version : iPAQ 100 Series Classic Handheld Unboxing & First Impressions

Jason Dunn
11-15-2007, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpsGsm1W1_U' target='_blank'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpsGsm1W1_U</a><br /><br /></div><p>A kind person at Porter Novelli contacted me on Tuesday of this week and asked if I would be interested in reviewing the new iPAQ 100 Series Classic Handheld. Would I? You bet! This device is the introductory level device in HP's lineup, but it's shiny and new, so how could I say no? ;-) I'm <a>on a roll with videos lately</a>, so within 10 minutes of the courier dropping it off I started the unboxing video. I think the longest wait was for YouTube to finishing processing it (does anyone have any contacts at YouTube? I need to talk them into giving me priority processing). Without further ado, here's the unboxing video.<br /> <br /> <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="425" height="355" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NpsGsm1W1_U&amp;rel=1" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="355" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NpsGsm1W1_U&amp;rel=1" wmode="transparent"></embed></object></p>

BevHoward
11-16-2007, 12:01 AM
The best part of this video was watching someone else who has switched a major chunk of the i/o from stylus to fingers... even the same moves such as rolling the fingertip to hit the ok button ;-)

Pdaholic
11-16-2007, 12:05 AM
Nice job, Jason!

Isn't this at least the third iteration of the Ipaq 4100? Obviously a testament to a great design.

Also, I was wondering if I am the only one whose heart skipped a beat when you dropped the device!?! I was listening through headphones, and the loud "bang" on the table truly woke me up.

Looking forward to an unboxing of the 900 series, presuming it will actually be produced.

Don Tolson
11-16-2007, 09:05 AM
Interesting that HP would come out with a plain PDA when the gurus are saying that the market for straight PDAs is dying (or dead).

Jason... it may be my screen, but the video looks a bit dark to me....

Also, I note that HP didn't include a CD with any extras (software/etc.) I wonder if this was just for this PR unit, or a trend by HP?

Jason Dunn
11-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Also, I was wondering if I am the only one whose heart skipped a beat when you dropped the device!?!

Heh. Sorry for scaring you - I was a little freaked out myself, but the plastic o the light table I use is quite soft, so there was definitely no damage - and I decided that rather than cutting and re-doing the whole thing, I'd just roll with it and proclaim the device sturdy. ;-)

Looking forward to an unboxing of the 900 series, presuming it will actually be produced.

And, presuming that I'll be getting one. ;-) Here's hoping...

Jason Dunn
11-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Interesting that HP would come out with a plain PDA when the gurus are saying that the market for straight PDAs is dying (or dead).

Yeah, the market for a PDA like this is small and shrinking - but devices like this are going to be around for a while for people that want to have a device with a large screen but also a small, separate phone. My wife for instance: she uses an iPAQ 1950, and loves it, but also uses a Motorola KRZR. One device filling both those needs would be difficult to find.

Jason... it may be my screen, but the video looks a bit dark to me....

YouTube has this bad habit of making the videos a bit darker - something happens when the video is converted to Flash. I'll see if I can add or reposition lights to compensate.

Also, I note that HP didn't include a CD with any extras (software/etc.) I wonder if this was just for this PR unit, or a trend by HP?

I'm quite certain the shipping product will include a CD, but I'll ask about that.

phmurphy
11-17-2007, 06:40 AM
Great video. I just got my HP 111 today and there is a CD inside. It also had a token slip case, and a US only power plug.

I like the power button on the side, but since I will be using the device in an Otterbox case I won't be able to turn the device on without opening the case.

This is the first WM6 device and I had to install ActiveSync 4.5. It didn't sync properly at first, but perhaps I needed to reboot the desktop and the PDA, because eventually it worked fine. There was a problem with my calendar being a little strange. I had an appointment on the 17th and it came out on the 16th instead.

The fact that ASync 4.5 doesn't sync pocket access files is very irritating to me.

The device was nice and fast using SprintDB and ArcPad with lots of graphics. SprintDB is a pocket access program that says they will have a way to sync the pocket access databases soon. Thank goodness.

There was a lock button that kept locking the PDA when I didn't want it to, but I soon found a way to get rid of it.

Button 3 will rotate the screen, but it rotates it the wrong way for a right handed person. There is a way to get the screen rotated the right way, but it is a multi step process via Screen.

Lots more to test.

Overall the documentation is pathetic.

phmurphy
11-17-2007, 02:18 PM
There is an annoying beep that I can't track down. Maybe an alarm?

Also, don't bother looking for an extra battery. I spent 2 hours talking with HP and there is no source right now. the battery is the same shape as found in the H1945 but with extra contacts.

Ollie03031
11-17-2007, 03:15 PM
I have had a 110 from CompUSA for the last two weeks. I have found that I can't set up messaging for some reason on mine. (I have not done a hard reset because I don't want to reload everything so have been using FlexMail successfully.)
For some reason the device loves to turn on for anything. It turns on every time I plug in the mini USB plug even if all I am doing is recharging. It also turns on when the USB plug is removed. I spend a lot of time turning the device off. My 2795 and hacked 4705 does not turn on when being charged. It would be nice if this could be disabled.
For some reason after a soft reset the blue WiFi led is lit and sometimes WiFi is on after the soft reset even if it was off before the reset.
Screen protectors for the 2795 series seem to fit the device which was nice seeing how I had a few around.
I really liked the HP Protect Tools (Credant Technologies) on the 2795 and the 4705 but all that is available on the 110 is the Lock (password) function provided by MicroSoft which was changed sometime in the WM5 cycle. Now if enabled it comes up any time the device is on but unused for your chosen time. This is a pain if you have it connected to your desktop and you just want to look over and see your schedule. Instead you see a password screen. Now you have to enter the password to see your schedule - with this much effort you might hve just as easily checked it in Outlook. The old version and HP Protect version only start the timer after the device is turned off. That method is more suited to my use.
Screen brightness control. I set it for 2 minutes. Sometimes I am slow reading an eamil page and 2 minutes is a comfortable time for me. If I do a soft reset the device for some reason reverts back to 10 seconds. I am not sure why this does not get saved.
ActiveSync schedule fix. Not sure that it is required but I can't seem to get a remote server setting to be saved in ActiveSync. Every time I set one up it never gets saved and Schedule is always grayed out. I still make sure ActiveSync is off before I power off just to be on the safe side.
The new USB sync cable is nice but now what do I do with all my old HP sync cables?
Good things; it is smaller and lighter then the 2795 or the 4705.
But I have gone back to carring my 2795 and using the 4705 when I need the big screen. The 110 could become another one of my mistakes.

scrollop
11-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Hi there.
If you like the look of the ipaq 100 series, have a gander at the 210 series:

210 vs 100

4 inch 640 x 480 vs 3.5 inch 320 x 240
128/256 vs 64/256 memory
SDIO AND CF card slots vs one SDIO
2200 mAh vs 1200 mAh battery.

210 http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06b/21675-21679-21679-21679-297609-80594387-80777536.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_UKEN

100 http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06a/21675-21679-21679-21679-297609-80594257.html

All in all the 210 looks like a splendid device! Shame the release date is being delayed. Now 3-4 weeks on most sites.

Nurhisham Hussein
11-22-2007, 07:07 PM
All in all the 210 looks like a splendid device! Shame the release date is being delayed. Now 3-4 weeks on most sites.

The latest information we have (straight from HP) is that the 200 series will be released sometime in Feb 2008 - that's a lot longer than 3-4 weeks.

Welcome to PPCT, btw.

k1darkknight
11-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Jason, you mentioned toward the end of the review, that the device was using 28.68 MB of its 57.83 MB, 'without anything running'. However, earlier in the review, you'd opened the calendar, as well as having gone to a few other screens. Now, some of those status-type screens might unload themselves from memory when you close them. Last I checked, though, unless you have something like SPB PocketPlus installed, programs (like Calendar) don't actually close, when you 'close' them, but just get bumped to running in the background. Might want to see how much memory is available, immediately after a soft reset. :p

Also, someone mentioned getting a full-release box, and said that it has a 'token slip case'. WHY do PPC makers still insist on spending the money on something like this, when most users will likely replace it with a much more functional case? Honestly, save the $5 or whatever it costs, and give us a break on shipping. or include a 1GB SD card. SOMETHING other than a cheap-o little 'slipcase' that won't even protect the device when we're using it!

That said, I'm about to go check out the details on the 200 (210?) series someone else mentioned. After my Axim X50v, I'll never go back to QVGA again!

***edit***
Almost forgot...I noticed your mention of the SD slot...does ANYONE make a PPC (or phone w/the touchscreen version of WM5/WM6) that supports the SDHC cards? Or even something like USB host, to plug in external storage?
***edit***

Nurhisham Hussein
11-26-2007, 02:36 AM
***edit***
Almost forgot...I noticed your mention of the SD slot...does ANYONE make a PPC (or phone w/the touchscreen version of WM5/WM6) that supports the SDHC cards? Or even something like USB host, to plug in external storage?
***edit***

Almost all the new devices support SDHC. For USB host, Toshiba and Acer devices tend to have them. Some HTC devices like the Advantage also meet the USB OTG spec, which can be used in a similar fashion.

k1darkknight
11-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Almost all the new devices support SDHC.(okay, last question, then I'll leave this tangent for another thread) - Do devices that support SDHC usually mention it somewhere in the specs, or are customers left to either guess or ask customer/tech support?

Nurhisham Hussein
11-28-2007, 02:48 AM
Do devices that support SDHC usually mention it somewhere in the specs...

Funny you should mention that - I've rarely seen SDHC mentioned at all, even with devices that have been tested to support it. You might try PdaDB.net (http://pdadb.net) for some answers.

...or are customers left to either guess or ask customer/tech support?

Best method is to check reviews, and user opinions to see if someone's tested a particular device for it - I seriously doubt tech support would even know what you are talking about.

k1darkknight
11-28-2007, 05:25 PM
You might try PdaDB.net (http://pdadb.net) for some answers.Cool, I'll check that out in a while! (after some gaming)

I seriously doubt tech support would even know what you are talking about.Tech support? Not know what I'm talking about?
:jawdrop:
Foamy's "Tech Support" (http://www.friendsoffoamy.com/index.php?id=144)
Foamy's "Tech Support II" (http://www.friendsoffoamy.com/index.php?id=269)
Foamy's "Tech Support III" (http://www.friendsoffoamy.com/index.php?id=310)

Okay, okay... ( /tangent ) ( /rant )

Nurhisham Hussein
11-29-2007, 03:00 AM
:lol: Good ones those, thanks.

holtwm
11-29-2007, 05:52 AM
Please let us know if you can stream music using WMP over WiFi and listen to it using Bluetooth stereo headphones. This is the killer feature for me and something that the 8125 and 8525 would not do. Thanks.

Will

scrollop
11-30-2007, 04:13 PM
The ipaq 210 supports sdhc.
I'm pretty sure you could attach a GPS device via the sdhc and use tomtom/etc as in car navigation.
Big bonus!