View Full Version : Data Use Question

jvanliew
11-09-2007, 08:47 PM
I am considering buying the Att Tilt, Tytn II. It looks like a terrific device. Has all of the cool features. I am trying to figure out which data plan I need. I would like to go with the smallest possible because of the cost.

My question is how much how much data does it take to use:

GPS, email, web browsing etc?

I know that is a difficult because a large email will take more up data than a small one. But if anyone can give me some of what it takes to do those things on your device, I would really appreciate it.

Plus any feedback on the Tilt would be good too.

THANKS!

Sven Johannsen
11-10-2007, 02:45 AM
I know that is a difficult because a large email will take more up data than a small one. But if anyone can give me some of what it takes to do those things on your device, I would really appreciate it.

That's not just difficult, it's impossible. Not because it can't be determined, but because we don't know if you get 1 e-mail a day or 100, if they are 1 liners or full HTML buggers. Don't know your surfing habits, check PPCThoughts once a week, or Read the Wall Street Journal on line everyday.

Do not get a limited data plan. Get the cheapest unlimited one you can get away with. The unlimited plans ATT has are defined by price and the device you use. There is nothing else different about them. They believe if you have a PDA you will use significantly more data than if you have a Smartphone and charge accordingly. That's an archaic, nearsighted concept and I hope they change it. T-Mobile has Total Internet for $20/mo and that includes a HotSpot account (WiFi).

As far as the Tilt goes, I'm really enjoying mine. Moved to it from an I-Mate K-Jam (HTC Wizard, ATT 8125), and really like WM6, 3G, and the increased memory. Ergonomics are good, but I liked the K-Jam a lot too. Don't know why it needs to be an once heavier than the K-Jam, though a bit thinner. More muscle I guess ;)

P.S. It takes no data to use GPS, cost-wise. It costs to use their over the air maps. I have my own mapping program loaded and use the GPS. If you use stuff like Windows Live Search or Virtual Earth Mobile and GPS, the maps use data, but the GPS use is free.

Nurhisham Hussein
11-12-2007, 07:33 AM
P.S. It takes no data to use GPS, cost-wise. It costs to use their over the air maps. I have my own mapping program loaded and use the GPS. If you use stuff like Windows Live Search or Virtual Earth Mobile and GPS, the maps use data, but the GPS use is free.

To give the technical explanation - GPS enabled devices receive signals off geosynchronous satellites. Because these satellites are in stationary earth orbit, the GPS chip on your device can determine your location based on distance/direction from multiple satellites, and the more satellites in view the faster and more accurate the 'fix'. This involves no data over the internet at all, and incurs no charges as GPS signals have been made accessible for free by the owners of the satellites i.e. the US government (the original use was military).

There is however a new way of getting GPS signals, called Assisted GPS, or AGPS, which does incur data costs - you get your 'fix' based on your proximity to a cell tower. This has the advantage of not needing a relatively clear view of the sky e.g. driving in tunnels, or in cities with lots of tall buildings. But even this method uses very little bandwidth. As Sven states, the really big data costs involve OTA maps like Google Earth and such, as the map data has to be downloaded and continually refreshed as you move.

Sven Johannsen
11-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Specifically in the US, ATT is now offering Telenav GPS Navigator(TM) support. That's an on-line (uses data) option that also incurs a monthly charge. It downloads maps as needed and does routing, etc. It depends on the 'free' GPS to know where you are. In the marketing it sounds like you need to pay for the Telenav stuff to use the GPS. That's not true, but you do need to provide some mapping software to make any sense of what the GPS tells you. That software is not always inexpensive and typically isn't upgraded for nothing.

So you need to make a decision whether it is worth paying a monthly Telenav subscription to ATT, or if you want to pay $100-$200 for a nav program, whose data may be outdated in a year or two.

Not quite sure how ATT reconciles the data used by getting maps with the Telenav subscription. I would assume that the Telenav subscription would cover all data charges..for their telenav service. Any other data, e-mail, web browsing would be covered under the regular data plan subscribed to. That would be a question to ask at least three customer service reps, and hope a least two give you the same answer.

jadesse
11-13-2007, 02:12 AM
AT&T's unlimited data is $40 a month. Not sure about the email but AT&T has their own email program. If you just set up a POP3 account on your device you will be fine. There are cheaper ones but they are limited (10 & 20 MG).

As far as GPS, I would buy TomTom software & load it on. The devices straight from HTC have it preloaded. So, there shouldn't be any compatibility problem. I am sure others would work too.

The thing that pisses me off with their data plans is this. The unlimited data plan for the iphone is $20 which I believe is the same data plan the WM devices use.

I have the $20 smartphone connect data plant on my 3125. I'll be buying an unlocked device & pop in my sim card in that.

clbsvi
11-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Suggestion:
Instead of wrestling with your cellular carrier over data rates and agonizing over costs to use GPS services via cellphone, try this:

Buy a discrete GPS device for use in your vehicle and while walking around, such as Tom-Tom, Garmin or possibly DeLorme (Magellan sucks !!). There is even an excellent GPS product company in Great Britain called Findway. Search on Findway.com.

Benefits: You don't have to fight for cheapest rate plan. Battery use in a car or motorcycle is no problem. Rechargeable NiMH or lithium batteries solve your walk-around problem and you can also save battery drain by changing your GPS update rate from once per second to 5 or 10 per second. After Christmas 2007, many merchants will be clearing inventory so prices will fall substantially. I've even seen Tom-Tom on QVC and HSN (TV shopping channels) for as low as $250-$300. Pay for same with money saved on cell phone data rate/GPS service plans.

Solution suggested is not as small in your hand as w/ cell phone, but results are many times better. You still have voice commands, touch screen w/color and so on. Try Circuit City, Best Buy or Walmart. Check store's return or exchange policy before you buy. Search specs on Internet.

Have fun shopping.

Sven Johannsen
11-13-2007, 10:47 PM
clbvsi, you misunderstand a bit. You could use the TILT/Tytyn GPS with absolutely no carrier plan at all, no phone, no data, nothing. You just need to add a nav program. You could get iGuidance, or TomTom or whatever, and have a very capable GPS navigation system. GPS is free. The nav software will cost you something, but it is a one time cost, and you only need to upgrade when you feel the need. If GPS is the ultimate goal, then I would recommend a dedicated GPS. Overall it would be cheaper and probably better. Since we are assuming that we are starting with a GPS capable device in the first place, adding a nav program for $100 or even $200 is a decent investment, IMHO.

The data issue is two-fold. 1) ATT makes it sound like you need their nav subscription to use the GPS, not true.
2) There are things tha you cn do with the data that you couldn't do with a static map program, such as get traffic updates.

Thing is, if you are getting a TILT, you are likely going to be getting some data plan. It will be useful..for lots of stuff...but it is not needed to get use out of the GPS function.