View Full Version : HP IPAQ 5455 connection problem

Ranger1
11-06-2007, 06:08 PM
:!:
I have an ipaq 5455 that cannot connect to the internet, (big suprise). The WLAN works fine and sees my wireless router, the problem is that the stupid IPAQ "my connection" only wants a modem connection. Question? Can this piece of junk pocket pc only connect via the cradle connected to the internet (hardwire)or a modem? PS- I will never buy an HP anything ever again, this pocket pc is the worst for doing anything, especially connecting to my HP desktop.

rookcnu
11-07-2007, 05:03 AM
Wow - I disagree with your take on this device. I have owned this device for several years. My wife actually uses it now.

Neither of us have ever had any problems with it connecting to the internet. The only issue in this area would be with wireless networks that require WPA encryption. Otherwise, everything works fine.

Ranger1
11-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Im glad someone likes theirs, to me it was a complete waste of $900.00. I use to spend a lot of time and load it up with info, only when the battery went dead in 4-5 hrs (non use), it would not save the info and when I tried to reload it from my computer, it wanted to start a new partnership everytime. Also the usb connection is so flaky, more than half the time it does not see my device. I replaced batteries, tried software updates, the device is such a battery hog. I have never been able to connect to the internet via the wireless connection, thru any server, cafe, work, home. To me its the most difficult device on the market to connect. Even techs at circuit city and comp usa could not get it to connect (they thought they were so smart, messed with it for about half an hour, then gave up!). Im going to get a dell this time, hope I have better luck. PS- anyone wants to buy this (read-cheap), let me know.

rookcnu
11-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Ranger 1:I use to spend a lot of time and load it up with info, only when the battery went dead in 4-5 hrs (non use), it would not save the info and when I tried to reload it from my computer, it wanted to start a new partnership everytime.

I think it might be in your best interest to do a little reading on "Persistent Memory Storage". Here is a very short link that explains it - http://pocketpccentral.net/help/ipaq/pmem_explained.htm. Your device does not have it, because it is probably running a Windows Mobile 2003 or 2003SE operating system. This does not have Persistent Memory Storage and probably (someone else correct me on this if I am wrong) doesn't have the guts inside for this anyway even if you were able to install a cooked ROM version of Windows Mobile 5.0.

Bottom line with anything pre-Windows Mobile 5.0,... never let your battery completely die.

Also - never trust someone from Circuit City or Best Buy or any chain retail store like that. Those guys don't know what they are doing or talking about 99% of the time. I find that I am telling them about their products all the time.

If you are going to get a Dell, keep in mind that they no longer make pocket pc's nor give customer support (or at least any support that is worth a darn). I recommend getting the Axim x51v used from somewhere. I have three of these units (not for sale) and love them. Beware, however, of the Funk Systems wireless client that comes pre-loaded on the Windows Mobile 5 units. It is called Odyssey. There is a patch for this on the Dell website, but I have run into problems with it. Basically, as with your 5455, you shouldn't have any problems if using on a wireless network that does not use WPA encryption. Still may work with WPA, but I have had problems. There are also cooked ROMS out there for the Axim x51v that will give you an upgrade to Windows Mobile 6 and has the patch for Funk in it. But I do not mess with cooked ROM's.