View Full Version : Help me choose?

Sheena
10-30-2007, 10:10 PM
Hey, guys. In need of your expertise again. This time I'm definitely replacing my beloved iPaq (2210) & right now my choices are limited, but there are some pretty ones this fall.

Ideally I'm looking for a all-in-one deal with phone, camera, all the radios, + VGA. For what I've read there's only one PPC out there with all of that: the HTC Ultimate (7501). It's a big hefty boy, but I did just fine with my first iPaq (3635) & my old eyes will be grateful. It's expensive as hell & I can't find a good case for it, but feature-wise it's my top choice for now. 600MHZ+!!! 8O

Running close behind is another HTC, the Tytn II. Not VGA, but not as big either, although almost as expensive. The worse drawback is the camera with no flash and the keyboard (don't need one, can't remove this one). At least the cases are more varied & there's a discount with AT&T.

Any more suggestions?

FYI, I use the PPC 70% for reading, 15% for lists, 10% for things like appointments, contacts, etc & 5% for anything else. I use my cell phone *very* little, but I live in NY, so coverage is as wide as it gets. With the new PPC I'll probably do more surfing & GPS than now, but still not the top requirements. Never used the PPC for e-mail either.

Please, any guidance about the phone usage will be particularly appreciated since I've never used it, only ever had regular plain cell phones without internet access. I understand I can use the same data service for the cell phone to connect my laptop where there's no wi-fi, but I don't know how to do this (or if it's extra $). Don't need texting, but the laptop connection would be nice, even if only for train trips.

Other details:

Keyboard - Don't want one if I can possibly avoid it.
VGA - Please? No square screens though.
SD/CF Slots - Oh, please! Still, I hold no hope, the :bad-words: have abandoned them for the little miserable micro thingies. Agh! :bawl:
GPS - I have an old Navman that never worked right with the iPaq, but at least I have the software & maps, no need to pay extra (yet).
Brand - not important, especially since HP has gone off grid with the missing new iPaqs.
USB? - Is there such thing as a PPC with a USB port? Nothing fancy, just to plug in a little flash key?

I considered an iPhone + a cheaper PPC to read, but the features I like on the iPhone (size, screen, cheaper price with AT&T) are just not worth the growing pains & the things they've missed, like a replaceable battery or proper bluetooth; not to mention the many overlaps on other features.

Thank you all for your help, as usual, you're the best.

Rosie
:) Happy Halloween!

Nurhisham Hussein
10-31-2007, 02:36 AM
I might suggest the Toshiba Portege G900 - it has almost all of what your require, except the slots and it's even WVGA (800x480!). The bad part is that I think it's an import-only in the US, so you'll have to pay shipping plus no carrier-subsidies (btw it's GSM). On that basis, the Advantage might be a better deal. There's also the new i-Mate Ultimate lineup which is just rolling out now, but again I'm not sure about availability in the US.

I understand I can use the same data service for the cell phone to connect my laptop where there's no wi-fi, but I don't know how to do this (or if it's extra $).

It should be fairly simple - whichever phone you pick should have the required software/instructions. As for the $$$, as I understand it, it depends on the data-plan that you have and whatever policies your carrier has on "tethering".

USB? - Is there such thing as a PPC with a USB port? Nothing fancy, just to plug in a little flash key?

Yes, there is. :D The capability is called USB-host and it's not terribly common. The G900 has it (though actually using it may require special cables, which should come with the phone). What's really nice is you can add other stuff too, though limited to mass-storage class devices or human interface devices. In practice that means you can connect, for instance, a USB external hard drive as long as its formated in FAT/FAT32 and has its own power supply; and potentially a USB keyboard and or mouse (no extra power needed). If you're really brave, you can connect a powered USB hub and attach all three!!!

Genérico
10-31-2007, 03:44 AM
I've been looking long and hard at the E-TEN glofiish X800. I think it is supposed to be released soon, according to Mobile Planet http://www.mobileplanet.com/p.aspx?i=148878.

You can also see the full specs there, but it has VGA and GPS and no keyboard.

I'm just waiting for a couple more reviews to decide if this is the one for me.

burtcom
10-31-2007, 04:13 PM
I've been looking long and hard at the E-TEN glofiish X800. I think it is supposed to be released soon, according to Mobile Planet http://www.mobileplanet.com/p.aspx?i=148878.

As a Glofiish M700 owner, I think the hardware is excellent. Sliding keyboard, nice bright screen, a loud speaker phone, bluetooth, GPS, etc.

I have had no need for customer support (knock wood) -- but judging from some stories I've read, I hope I never have to. ETEN seems to have a reputation for slow and sometimes non-existent service.

Luckily there is a big community to help at http://www.eten-users.eu/

Dyvim
10-31-2007, 04:24 PM
Yes, there is. :D The capability is called USB-host and it's not terribly common. The G900 has it (though actually using it may require special cables, which should come with the phone).

The HTC Advantage also has it although it requires an extra cable to be purchased separately.

The Advantage is also quite large, but you can leave the keyboard at home (makes a good "dock"). The Advantage is definitely a PDA first and a phone second, so might fit your needs (esp. since you like reading).

Nurhisham Hussein
11-01-2007, 01:29 AM
The HTC Advantage also has it although it requires an extra cable to be purchased separately.

I suspected it might, but I've never had anyone confirm it for me, thanks! Most HTC devices come with USB OTG (including the Advantage), not USB Host - functionally, there's very little difference between the two specs for Windows Mobile, except for the classes of devices supported (with Host you can get the full range of USB devices working, assuming of course you can find the WM drivers for'em). I was just never sure whether OTG implementation was real.

Sheena
11-01-2007, 02:05 AM
I've been looking at the specs for all your rec's (thank you!) &, as they say, the plot thickens.

The details for the X800 look almost perfect, but I think the screen is smaller than my iPaq (2.8" vs 3.5") & these old eyes would never forgive me. I need at least that size. It's mighty pretty though.

The Toshiba is also almost there, but apparently won't be available until next year & I'm hoping to be set up before Xmas.

On both of these, I'm worried about the memory though. Since I'm losing the expansion cards (& the microSD's max is 2GB <puny!), it must have as much as possible. That's what's attractive about the big HTC, bulky & all, but 8GB + card can make the difference. USB is fine if they can support it, but that's OK for quick transfers & backups, not for 24/7 access.

They're all about the same price too, so if I'm coughing up almost $1K, it better hold me off for a few years. Again, the X800 is available just under $700 in mobileplanet, so it would be #1 in my wish list (even with less memory) if it were not for the smaller screen. Please someone tell me I read the specs wrong! Otherwise it's back to the brick.

Some more questions:
1) Would USB hosting support a big portable drive (powered) better than an 8GB key?
2) I've been using Pocket Controller for years (indispensable!), and some of the specs mention a similar application built-in on WM6, anyone knows about this?
3) Also on WM6, remote control of a PC? I couldn't find anything on the MS site, did I read it wrong or what?

Thanks again for your tips & rec's. Hope your Halloween is been properly scary. :)

Rosie

Nurhisham Hussein
11-02-2007, 09:35 AM
The Toshiba is also almost there, but apparently won't be available until next year & I'm hoping to be set up before Xmas.

Actually it was released very nearly 6 months ago. This is not a recommendation (I'm a little wary since Mobile Planet was taken over by Expansys), but you can get a unit here (http://www.mobileplanet.com/p.aspx?i=150652).

On both of these, I'm worried about the memory though. Since I'm losing the expansion cards (& the microSD's max is 2GB <puny!), it must have as much as possible.

SanDisk has just released an 8GB SDHC microSD - no word on pricing yet. SDHC boosts potential memory capacity to the theoretical FAT/FAT32 limit, which means 32GB in the near future and potentially more. All the models mentioned above support the SDHC standard. As long as you don't mind the hit on your wallet, memory worries won't be much of an issue much longer.

1) Would USB hosting support a big portable drive (powered) better than an 8GB key?

I don't think there's a difference except one - the bigger and slower the drive, the slower it will be to mount and be usable. In my experimentation, a 1GB flash drive takes a few seconds, a 2GB flash drive a few more seconds, and a 40GB hard drive up to 30 seconds or more. Also the faster the hard drive (i.e. 7200rpm vs say 5400rpm), the faster it'll be to mount. YMMV of course.

3) Also on WM6, remote control of a PC? I couldn't find anything on the MS site, did I read it wrong or what?

The Toshiba has a proprietary application for this purpose - the others might have it, but I'm not sure. FWIW, my SE k800i feature phone has a bluetooth controller built in as well - real nice for presentations and such.

Sheena
11-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks Hussein for finding me the Toshiba & the other details. Has there been a problem with Expansys? I've never bought from them, but for most of these PPC's they're the *only* US distributor.

Regarding the flash cards, I'm aware there's bigger every day, but both the Toshiba & the X800 reviews say the maximum they read is 2GB!!! Even my old 2210 can read 4GB *per* card. Without a big hard drive to compensate, 2GB is not remotely enough. They don't make it easy to switch cards either, since some have the slots hidden, sometimes under the battery. Go figure! :roll:

The ability to read a USB key can help, but not for installing programs and even keeping reading material there would make it a hassle having to connect the key every time, or to keep moving things from main memory. I want to upgrade, not make things more difficult.

It's hard to make up one's mind, eh? Anyway, I'll research more reviews for the Toshiba since it's out already & repost here a bit of pro's & con's in case anyone else can use the info.

Ciao!

Sheena
11-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Found a mock Advantage on display at CompUSA last night & almost bought one on the spot. Of course, not a working model, but this is what I checked:

>The magnet is on the keyboard, not on the body, so since that will stay on the backpack, the demagnetized credit cards issue is moot for me.
>You can certainly hold it by the keyboard & thumb-type, no fear of it falling off. Even turning it upside down it held. I doubt if anyone wants to do that & shake it, but short of that it's a decent hold.
>Weight is negligible, didn't feel much heavier than my iPaq 2210, comparing them without batteries.
>Size is not as much of a burden as I thought. The screen is huge of course, especially compared to those 2.8" phones. I was surprised by how thin the whole PPC is. Feels even a hair skinnier than my iPaq.
>Buttons are small, I expect some will need a nail or the stylus to be hit properly.
>Door to the battery is a bit tricky & I expect the hinges will be the first thing to need replacement if you're not careful. Might be a better idea to get a charger with regular batteries rather than a spare, at least the door will be left alone for longer stretches.
>The left & right edges (when held in portrait) feel a bit uncomfortable since they're designed to be even when the body is placed on the keyboard, so holding it in landscape feels better in my hand. Note that this is without a case.
>The salesman couldn't find the open box, so I don't know what the included case feels like, I can only judge by the pictures (don't like it).

So far this is my favorite PPC with its big VGA screen & detachable keyboard. I'm looking for a decent case, not to mention the issue of price, because the average I've seen is around $900, but with the tax in NY it may be better shipped.

Rosie

Nurhisham Hussein
11-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Has there been a problem with Expansys? I've never bought from them, but for most of these PPC's they're the *only* US distributor.

Expansys don't have a good service reputation. They've been apparently working to fix this, but look through their forums if you want to have clue to their current state. I personally have had two absolutely horrible experiences with Expansys in Asia, and I wouldn't touch them with a 10' barge pole. Having said that, Mobile Planet were/are a separate company, and I haven't heard them having the same problems.

Regarding the flash cards, I'm aware there's bigger every day, but both the Toshiba & the X800 reviews say the maximum they read is 2GB!!!

The key thing here is if either/both support SDHC, in which case the 2GB limit is complete bunk. I suspect from its relative newness that the x800 does, and the G900 was launched well within the SDHC adoption time frame as well, but I haven't been able to confirm my suspicions one way or the other - if I do, I'll post back. I know the Advantage definitely supports SDHC cards, so you could in practice have an 8GB card on top of the 8GB microdrive ;).

FWIW, the 4GB SD cards you're using with the 2210 are a bit of a fudge - officially the 2210 only supports 2GB SD cards in its SDIO slot, as that is the maximum under version 1 of the Secure Digital specification. These 4GB non-SDHC cards aren't officially supported by any devices, and compatibility has been occasionally hit and miss.

Thanks Hussein for finding me the Toshiba & the other details.

Completely off-topic, but in my part of the world, many people's names are patronymic - so Hussein is my father's given name ;)

Sheena
11-08-2007, 08:47 PM
... in my part of the world, many people's names are patronymic - so Hussein is my father's given name.
I know, I know, I just thought your father's was the name listed first & was trying to be smart. :oops:

Anyway...

Here's hoping Mobile Planet works out better than Expansys, but that's only if I cave in to fiscal sense (rather than the drooling inner techie) & pick one of the cheaper/smaller models, otherwise I'm going for either Amazon, or a store here in NY, taxes be dammed for the sake of instant gratification.

Thanks for the advice on the flash cards too. I knew of the limits on my old iPaq & bought my first 4GB card with some trepidation, but the little one read them all fine, never a problem ::knocking on wood:: & trust me when I tell you it's loaded up to the gills. Having 8GB (or more) on top of 8GB, plus USB hosting, is sweet! :drool:

Nurhisham Hussein
11-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Having 8GB (or more) on top of 8GB, plus USB hosting, is sweet! :drool:

:lol: I know the feeling - I have a couple of 8GB CF cards (along with a 2GB SD card, that gives me 10GB altogether), and they just aren't enough!!

Sheena
11-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Well, I've been making the rounds of the phone service providers & some stores & here's what I've found:
> ATT online salespeople have no clue about hardware, all sent me to the store (more on that).
> T-Mobile salespeople were the most knowledgeable, only a little caveat, no 3G.
> Verizon? No such luck.
> Sprint? I've read they support some HTC models (Mogul, Blue Angel), but no help there, couldn't even get in the website.

About the models I've been looking at:
The HTC Advantage is still my top choice, even if it's getting more expensive. Amazon has it for $924 (up from ~850). CompUSA has it for $899, but of course with the extra $ for tax in NYC it's actually more. Still, the feel is very good, not as big as I feared.

The Tilt is tiny! The screen is way too small & the keyboard too clunky. ATT supports it, but be wary of maybe some features disabled, as I've heard they do on other models (ie, killing BT). If you're a reader like me, forget those screens of less than 3.5", either resign yourself to not having a built-in phone, or get ready to pay through the nose.

HTC is releasing the P6500. I liked the 2 SDIO slots, but although it has only 1GB of memory & it's only 3.5", the price is >$1,200!!! The Advantage is looking better still.

The iPaq 210 looks really nice, big & VGA, powerful & with my beloved SD/CF slots!!! Sure, it won't show up until February (at least). For those looking for integration though, no phone, no camera, no GPS. I could manage with my old BT GPS, but need the rest, even if my cell usage is minimal.

Anyway, since I know practically nothing about smartphone features, I have questions for you experts:

1) Is 3G worth the trouble? T-Mobile sales said they'll happily support the Advantage (just place the sim card in), but they have no 3G. Their data plans seem to be more affordable than ATT, although their coverage is not as big. I live in NY though, and my frequent travels are to FL, LA and PA, so no big worries there, right?

2) ATT refuses to support any hardware they don't sell. I asked about simply using the sim card in an unlocked phone, but they looked at me like a hacker from hell & said they couldn't stop me, but although I could get phone access, they doubted if I'd got data. Based on what I've read, I smelled BS, but then I don't really know. Can I get one of those freebie phones & take my chances reusing the card?

3) Does anyone offer a data plan that includes tethering a laptop, but none of that free texting crap? Even as a separate feature? ATT plans with tethering are only the high end expensive ones, over $100/month.

4) Can you use a smartphone with a dial-up internet service? My internet needs on the road are also minimal. It would be a lot cheaper than data plans, although I suspect no tethering, assuming it's possible.

5) Going on a tangent a bit... Those laptop data cards for internet access, can that signal be used with a PPC? Sort of like reverse tethering?

Thank you all.

Rosie

Sheena
11-16-2007, 08:50 PM
Anyone knows about the O2 XDA Flame? I just ran into some specs & it sounds great. Just lacking on GPS. Off to do some research... :devilboy:

Nurhisham Hussein
11-19-2007, 05:51 AM
1) Is 3G worth the trouble?

Not really - it's not a quantum leap over existing technologies like EDGE, and well behind EVDO. HSDPA (on the Advantage and Tilt, among others) on the other hand is WORTH IT!

Based on what I've read, I smelled BS, but then I don't really know. Can I get one of those freebie phones & take my chances reusing the card?

Your nose, knows. They could block your line based on your unlocked phone's IMEI, but what would be the point if you're paying your bills?

4) Can you use a smartphone with a dial-up internet service?

No, sorry - there's a technical explanation for it, but I can't quite recall it now.

5) Going on a tangent a bit... Those laptop data cards for internet access, can that signal be used with a PPC? Sort of like reverse tethering?

Yup - just sync with your laptop (wired or wireless), and surf away. There're other ways of doing it but that's the simplest. If you're asking for a direct connection between data card and PDA (sans laptop), I'm afraid not.