View Full Version : Windows Mobile Viewed As Best Hobbyist Mobile Development Platform

Ed Hansberry
10-15-2007, 05:00 PM
<a href="http://vivekjishtu.blogspot.com/2007/09/best-platform-for-mobile-development.html">http://vivekjishtu.blogspot.com/2007/09/best-platform-for-mobile-development.html</a><br /><br /><i>"This is something I have been thinking for a while so here it goes. This is a list of platforms I know of and my choice of what makes sense for a hobbyist programmer like me. Let me first list down all the possible platforms and then list down the pros and cons that I feel are associated with each platform."</i><br /><br />Here is one deveoper that sat down and looked at the pros and cons of developing for a variety of mobile platforms, including Java, Linux, Palm, Brew, Symbian, Blackberry and the iPhone. If you are tinkering around with programming for a mobile platform, you should check this article out to see how the different options stack up.

SteveHoward999
10-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Since he spoke of Java, he should have considered Flash Lite too ...

Now if only Blackberry would stoop so low as to working with Adobe to develop a Flash player ...

JKingGrim
10-15-2007, 06:08 PM
I guess I am what you might call a "hobbyist programmer." I started with Palm OS, and I liked it a lot. Unfortunately Palm OS stopped progressing, so I made the switch to windows. I did not find windows mobile coding easy (apart from the .NET framework, but I prefer to write native code; I can write .NET apps but I don't want to). The main reason I think Palm OS was so much easier (apart from being a simpler OS) is that when I look things up in programming guides, everything I look up applies directly to Palm OS. With Windows Mobile it is not so. MS uses the same basic sdk for all windows operating systems. Consequently, I haven't really found any tutorials that teach you specifically how to code windows mobile. You must first know how to program for a windows desktop, then you must learn the difference that windows mobile brings. I have found that the easiest way to write an efficient native win32 application is to use the WTL library. There isn't exactly a full tutorial for WTL with windows mobile. You just have to kinda figure it out for yourself with the help of some online examples. Perhaps I just need to stop relying on online materials and just buy a good book.

Busdriver
10-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Don't forget nsbasic.com.

midtoad
10-16-2007, 07:45 PM
The author hasn't even tried most of the options he talks about so his opinion is pretty much useless.

However, lots of people have replied to him in detail, in the comments, so those are worth reading.