View Full Version : ipaq 2215 random turn offs

ironguy
10-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Just recently, my 2215 turns off randomly. It can be on for 1 second or a few hours then just shuts off. It only seems to do it when on battery power. It's not low power as it happens at all battery charge states.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I wonder if a hard reset will fix the issue? :cry:

doughboy
10-15-2007, 02:36 AM
Should I assume that you remove the battery, re-insert it, and it still does not work? Try applying pressure to the battery against the contacts while installed with the battery cover removed.

When I dropped my iPAQ 2210 the battery cover broke and had a similar problem until I replaced the batter cover and realized the problem was due to a loose fit with the broken cover. I hope you get it working. I still see no need to upgrade at least past PPC2003SE. I do not need the limitations or screen real estate robbing GUI of WM2005 or 2006.

Best wishes,

flatlander_48
12-01-2007, 12:50 AM
Should I assume that you remove the battery, re-insert it, and it still does not work? Try applying pressure to the battery against the contacts while installed with the battery cover removed.

When I dropped my iPAQ 2210 the battery cover broke and had a similar problem until I replaced the batter cover and realized the problem was due to a loose fit with the broken cover. I hope you get it working. I still see no need to upgrade at least past PPC2003SE. I do not need the limitations or screen real estate robbing GUI of WM2005 or 2006.

Best wishes,

There is also a little rubber pad inside the original battery door. The replacement I bought didn't have it. Fortunately I was able to remove it from the broken cover and put it on the new one.

ironguy
12-03-2007, 07:51 PM
I have a feeling that something is amuck inside the unit. A while ago I pulled mu ipaq out of my pocket inadvertently pushing on the SD card. This is not an unusual occurrence. I pushed it back in. BAM! Hard reset.

While I was put out, I thought that perhaps this would fix my random off issue. It didn't. I did replace a busted battery cover some time ago, but it has been many months before this issue started happening. Just now, I took off the battery cover to see if there was a little rubber pad. There wasn't so I folded a post it and put it under the cover. Turned on the unit. Soft reset. That should not happe. I think I will also clean the battery contacts.

Guess I have to put up with this until HP gets their new units out next year.

ironguy
12-06-2007, 09:39 PM
UPDATE: After inserting the folded post-it into the battery compartment, my iPaq hasn't randomly shut off. Very odd considering the new battery cover is nearly a year old. Maybe the spring action for the battery against the contacts is getting worn. Anyway, I'm a happy camper now. :lol:

Don't Panic!
12-07-2007, 12:28 AM
Oh man. That brought back some memories. Ironguy you just convinced me to send my iPaq 2215 to PocketPCTechs for a complete overhaul. I broke my hatch quite some time ago and never got it fixed. I think that's when I started using Axims.

ironguy
12-07-2007, 07:21 PM
The latch on my battery door broke about 7 months ago. I googled and found a place that had one for a few bucks. Looks identical. I guess I didn't check to see if it had that little foam pad that takes up the slack. I've had my ipaq 2215 since the first month they cam out - was it Aug 2001? 2002? I can't remember. I love it. I am sorely tempted to get the HP 200 series IF it ever comes out. I'd like to get a VGA device. But with my ipaq back in service, maybe I won't do anything!

Nurhisham Hussein
12-10-2007, 05:11 PM
I've had my ipaq 2215 since the first month they cam out - was it Aug 2001? 2002?

2003 - I still have mine and it works great.

DaveStall
12-28-2007, 02:52 AM
Something else to check is the small pastic pin on the battery door that enables the unit to turn on. I never knew this existed until I dropped my 2215 and the door broke. I could get the door back on, but because the latch was broken, the pin did not go all the way into its' socket and my PPC wouldn't turn on at all. Taping the door closed fixed the problem until I got a replacement door. Make sure the battery door is latching completely. Try pressing down on the door or taping it closed to see if that fixes the problem.